Notices

2 nights in Newport, RI

May 12th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

2 nights in Newport, RI

Hi all~

I'm planning a trip with my 2 sisters-in-law at the end of June and they are interested in beach time during our stay...which beaches would you recommend for lazing around in a beach chair and reading a book? I'm trying to narrow down our hotel options but wasn't sure what the parking situation would be (i.e. if we stay in the marina area, will we be able to find parking easily if we need to drive to the beach, and vice versa). If anyone has an opinion of whether it's better to stay near the marina within walking distance of shops and food and drive to the beaches (or stay near the beach and drive into the marina area), please chime in!

Thanks~
May 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Newport is not very big but beach parking is pretty limited so it may work out for you to stay somewhere closer to the beach and then drive to the wharfs for dinner, shopping. There are always areas a few blocks away where you can park. It also depends on what kind of hotel you're looking for and how much you want to spend. Prices are high, so if you end up staying outside the city, you'll have to drive in anyway

I actually prefer other Rhode Island beaches (South County area to the ones in Newport, but it may not be practical to travel back an forth if this is just a casual trip for a few days

Are you coming on a weekend or weekday? Obviously weekends are much more crowded and harder to find parking every where.
May 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM

You mention laying on a beach chair and reading...how important is swimming? How important is seclusion vs lots of people? How important are "amenities" (snack bar, etc) to your beach experience? These are questions that will help give you answers. Newport's Easton's beach (aka 1st beach) has all the amenities but usually has some red algae in the water that many find disagreeable. Second Beach has better water, less amenities. At both of these, parking will be available but not cheap ($10 per day, if I am not mistaken).
If swimming is not part of your "beach" experience, consider not going to a beach at all but out to Brenton Point State park (free parking). The ocean views are spectacular. Another non-swimming option is King's Park Beach in Newport itself. Here you will have a great view of the harbor and free parking. The beach itself is gravel, giving way to rock as you wade further out, so it is not the most popular "swimming" beach but perfect for sunning and reading.
May 16th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Janie, point taken I've booked a hotel within walking distance, Newport Beach Hotel and Suites. My sisters-in-law are more into the lazing around than the shopping for these 3 days so that seems a good fit (plus we won't have to pay for parking).

LarryBee...thank you for the other beach recommendations...I like visiting state parks and love taking photos, so I'll be looking into Brenton Point

Be well~

Search this Thread