Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 nights at South Rim or 1 night Sedona and 1 night South Rim (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-nights-at-south-rim-or-1-night-sedona-and-1-night-south-rim-541092/)

asdaven Jul 2nd, 2005 04:16 AM

2 nights at South Rim or 1 night Sedona and 1 night South Rim

I am debating whether to spend 2 nights at South rim or spend a night at both Sedona and South Rim. I already have a reservation for 2 nights at the Grand Hotel in Tusayan. I want to do some hiking in the Grand Canyon on the Bright Angel Trail (what is a good turnaround point on the trail that is not really far??),see the Imax movie, see the viewpoints, and take a jeep/ATV tour. I going to other place on my trip that is similar to Sedona like Bryce, Zion, and Capitol Reef and I went to Arches last year. To do all the stuff I want to do, I believe I need the 2 nights. I am driving from Kingman to the South Rim the first via Flagstaff which takes an hour longer than via Williams, but it is more scenic from Flagstaff. Second day would be full day at the canyon. Third day I am driving to Page and driving east out of the park. This is of course if I do the two nights at the Canyon. I would perfer to do the 2 nights at the canyon, so I am not jumping around everywhere, but I have heard good stuff about Sedona also. On the way from Flagstaff to the Canyon on Route 180, has anybody done the Red Mountain Hike? Also, from Kingman, should I take Route 66 or take Interstate 40?

historytraveler Jul 2nd, 2005 06:51 AM

A lot of people love Sedona, but I've never been impressed. Arguably, there are a few scenic views, but its beauty is botched by all the commercial activity. Shops that sell T-shirts and junky tourist items as well as all the strip malls have a negative impact. I'd stay at the Canyon

amber100 Jul 2nd, 2005 07:00 AM

IMHO, I would skip Sedona and do two nights at the Grand Canyon. For everything you want to accomplish at the canyon you will need two nights not to feel rushed.

I had always heard great things about Sedona but except for views was not impressed, too many shops, galleries and restaurants. Crowded and touristy. I have passed through Sedona twice and the scenery is very good but really doesn’t compare to the magnificent vistas you will see at the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. If time is limited, skip or just drive through Sedona.

Yes, if you have even a slight interest in nostalgia, I would do Route 66 in western Arizona – the longest section of the remaining old road. Has some great Americana still remaining. We also spotted a coyote, tumbleweeds, and stopped for a short hike to view some petroglyphs. Also, you might be interested in stopping at the Grand Canyon Caverns along that stretch. It is a time capsule from the 50’s. Has a gift shop and dining room.
http://www.gccaverns.com/

utahtea Jul 2nd, 2005 09:37 AM

I agree with historytraveler and amber100. I've never been that impressed with Sedona. I would drive though on your way to Flagstaff and spend your time at the Grand Canyon.

Utahtea

123Go Jul 2nd, 2005 10:25 AM

Unless you have time and $ to pamper yourself in a nice spa, skip Sedona or just drive through, maybe lunch or something. Time best spent in the Canyon.

A turn around spot going down Bright Angel Trail is to Indian Garden Campground. It's 4.6 miles one way, just remember that after all your oohing and aahing on the way down, you also have to go back up. Indian Garden has dringing water and picnic tables in the shade. If that's too much, you can go to the Mile-and-a-half Resthouse (3 mi RT) or the Three Mile Resthouse. The is the place many first timers to to. You'll get good views. If you get all the way to Indian Garden and still have lots of steam, you can continue on to Tonto Point fore a really great view of the inner canyon but that's a 12.2 mile round trip.
And always remember carry LOTS of water.

123Go Jul 2nd, 2005 10:27 AM

oops, should have read before I posted.
The Mile-and-a-half Resthouse is where most first timers go to.

asdaven Jul 2nd, 2005 11:34 AM

Indian Gardens is a little bit too far for me, considering how strenous the trail is. Sedona seems even more touristy than the South Rim where I am going! As far as the Bright Angel Trail, I will probably just hike to the 1.5 mile reststop (Does the mile and a half resthouse afford as good views as the three mile reststop). I still have been debating rather to take Route 66 or the Interstate and I rather have more time at the canyon to do stuff and take the interstate unless I am missing a lot? I am staying in Kingman which is a route 66 town and plan on if I take the interstate, stopping in Seligman and checking out that town.

utahtea Jul 2nd, 2005 12:32 PM

Route 66 between Kingman and Seligium isn't really anything that special, IMHO. The road's been repaved and it's a fast drive. Seligium is a hoot! Watch for Elvis in his pink caddy!

Utahtea

asdaven Jul 3rd, 2005 04:12 AM

How much faster is the interstate compared to Route 66? What is the speed limit on Route 66?

123Go Jul 3rd, 2005 07:05 AM

To be honest, I can't specifically remember the view from Mile-and-a-Half Resthouse, but regardless, it gives you the "feeling" of what it's like to do the hike to the bottom. And whatever you see at the Grand Canyon is ...grand.

giro Jul 3rd, 2005 09:54 AM

We just reurned from the G.C. Because of the local wild fires north of Phx. the Canyon was quite hazy. I suppose the smoke will (can) disappear with a nice windy day. Personally, I would drive I-40 and go north on State 64 instead of going into Flagstaff. I would agree the ride through Flag and onto State 180 is more scenic but with all that driving you're doing, if it were me I would avoid the exta mileage.
One of the highlights for us was seeing a Condor while at Yavapai point. It seemed to be putting on a show for us with its frequent low flyovers.
I would agree with spending two nights at the canyon, not because Sedona is not worth seeing, but but to avoid all the extra driving for such a limited amount of time. IMO, Sedona is worth seeing, you can do Sedona and not even notice the downtown tourist stores. Hiking the West Fork of Oak Creek near the top of Oak Creek Canyon is a great experience. But like i said, coming in from Kingman, Sedona isn't worth taking time away from the Canyon.
Enjoy your trip.

asdaven Jul 3rd, 2005 10:53 AM

I think hopefully the fires will disapate before I come. I would rather go through Flagstaff to see the mountains and do the Red Mountain Hike which is short along the way to the canyon, it is only 50 more miles of driving total. But if I do that, I think I ought to skip Route 66 and take the Interstate.

asdaven Jul 7th, 2005 03:26 AM

I am debating also rather to drive Route 66 and drive through Williams to the Grand Canyon or drive the interstate and drive through Flagstaff?

utahtea Jul 7th, 2005 06:58 AM

If you don't drive Route 66, then at least get off at Seligium and see Elvis and the Pink Caddy.

Utahtea

asdaven Jul 7th, 2005 12:57 PM

What would you reccomend, driving Route 66 or going through Flagstaff?