Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2-Hour Layover in Honolulu-any nearby sightseeing opportunities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Catherine

Hello...one of the flights i'm choosing from has a two-hour layover in Honolulu. Would there be any nearby sightseeing opportunities that I can take advantage of OR should I just stay put inside the airport?

I most probably won't have to deal with picking up luggage since I plan on just bringing carry-on. I understand that the airport lockers are no longer available so I'll just have to deal with that. Is it worth taking in some sights within that time period?

thanks so much...

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Catherine

hi again...still needing your help...I just looked over the Honolulu map and it's fairly close to Pearl Harbor. I know taking a quick tour doesn't do it justice but for now, is it doable? How long does it take approx. to drive there via taxi? I'm thinking I probably have an hour (cross my fingers) to check it out...sigh!

any opinions, comments, suggestions is anxiously anticipated and enormously appreciated!!!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:05 PM
al

you may see Pearl Harbor in that time frame, but, i understand that the launch to the Arizona has delays averaging an hour. the airport is lovely-nice koi pond.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:06 PM
George

Forget it. Assuming you have to check in for your flight at least 30 minutes before flight time that only leaves you with one and a half hours. A half hour to Pearl Harbour, a half hour in the line up (at least) and a half hour back to the airport leaves you with zero time.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Kat

There is a nice museum in the airport. It is really a gem that not many people visit. With two hours don't even think about sightseeing.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM
xxx

They used to allow you to take the earliest connecting interisland flight, assuming seats were available. So, as soon as you get off the plane, go to the check in counter for your interisland flight and see if you can get on the next one. You might get an earlier flight that way and eliminate the layover altogether (assuming your layover is on the way to another island rather than on the way home).

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Catherine

thanks sooo much for all the replies...I guess I will have to save Pearl for another trip or get a looooonger layover. Thanks for the
in-airport ideas, I'll take advantage of that.

I must say, the xxx at this forum is sooo much more helpful than the xxx in the Europe forum.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:29 PM
p

Kat,
What is the subject matter in the airport museum, the airport itself or ... ? Never knew it was there.
Thanks

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:56 PM
p.

Well, to answer my own question, it appears this museum is now closed due to airport expansion (Oct 2001). Also saw a new, major, aviation museum is to be built on Ford Isl to open Dec 2005.