Reload this Page >

2 for 1 theater tickets in N.Y. C

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:20 AM
marvin k

Can any one tell me about "TKTS" which is a 2 for one ticket office that sells tickets for the same day

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:24 AM
Lori

I wouldn't call it a 2 fot 1 ticket office. It is a discount ticket booth that is located in Times Square at 47th Street, and in the World Trade Center at 1 World Trade. They offer same day tickets to many shows at a discount. Usually 25% off, but that may vary depending on the show. Not all shows are available, there is a board that lists all shows, and the discounts which changes every day depending on availability. I have found that while the line is shorter at the World Trade Center, the shows may differ from what Times Square has to offer. If you do not have your heart set on a particular show, this is a great way to experience Broadway, a little cheaper. Recent offerings have been Cabaret, Jekyll and Hyde, Hedwig, Footloose, Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, and The Dead.

Old May 4th, 2000, 08:27 AM
TC

Its a booth right in the middle of Times Square (I think there's also one on Wall Street.) The problem is, you'll stand in line for hours to get tickets for shows. A better source is Playbill.com. Join the Members Only section (its free) and there are lots of nice discounts on advance ticket purchases. You can even pick your own seats because the discount member number is simply passed along to Ticketmaster or Telecharge.

Old May 4th, 2000, 09:40 AM
lili

don't forget your student id's (even if you're not one) ... we got a 50% discount at Cabaret ... also, even if the times square booth tells you the show is sold out, we went right to the theatre before the show and got in!

Old May 4th, 2000, 09:46 AM
howard

A correction on Lori's posting: Most of the offerings at TKTS are indeed half-price (plus $2.50 service charge per ticket). There are also some listd at 25% off, but most are 50% off.
Further, there is a far greater choice the earlier part of the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday evenings) than later, and certainly far fewer on weekends.
In terms of length of time you have to wait, you can figure one-half hour wait for each block length of the line. (Yes, at certain times of week--like for matinees--the lines can be the equivalent of 3-4 blocks long!)
The advantage of joining the Playbill club, as cited above, is that you don't have to wait in line, but can either call on the phone for the discounted tickets (add $5-$5.50 to the cost of each ticket when you call) or bring a copy of the offer right to the box office.

Old May 4th, 2000, 04:22 PM
tweedy

Shhhhhhh, we don't tell tourists about the TKTS booth at the World Trade Center. That is the BEST place to get tickets and very often when I get there the line is very short. I recommend getting there at 11:00am if you want tickets and all the shows available will be posted.

Another trick is to decide on seeing one of 2 shows and then when you get to the window ask which shows have better tickets available.

One more thing TKTS ONLY TAKES CASH, no credit cards. Figure 2 tickets will cost about $80.

If you have any questions on shows, let me know.

tweedy

Old May 5th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Dawn

Tweedy, you are a wealth of knowledge.