2 days western Mass., ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be attending a wedding about 30 minutes west of Northampton in early August. I was thinking of tacking on a couple of days and seeing more of the area. I'm interested in 17th-19th century American history, particularly religious and intellectual, but have no aversion to beautiful natural scenery or great food either.

Any good 2 day itineraries? And if I've stayed 2 nights in Northampton, what would be a nice base for the other 2 nights? I'd definitely like to see Melville's home in Pittsfield, but I could hit that as part of a longer day, couldn't I?

Oh, other than Boston and Providence, I haven't been to New England. Because it's such a short trip, I wasn't planning on a city. Also, from what I've read here, it sounds like Lenox and that part of the Berkshires will be too busy/booked. True?

Any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM

We really enjoyed the Norman Rockwell museum and gallery at Stockbridge. See nrm.org if you like.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
TKT

East Side Grill in Northampton is one of my favorite places to eat. I enjoy Paul and Ellizabeth's for desert and the Haymarket Cafe to hang out in.
I don't know a lot of history there specific to the time period you are talking about, also one of my favorite times to learn about. If you find any let me know. Pittsfield has minor league Baseball.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM

The Berkshires are very busy in the summer, especially if you are there for a big Tanglewood night or weekend. Still, they are beautiful and so close to Northampton, it'd be a shame not to see a bit of it. Of the Berkshires, Pittsfield (where I was born and raised) is the least scenic, (most citified...which in the Berkshires is a relative term ). Melville's home, Arrowhead, where Moby Dick was written, is there as you know, and the Shaker village is nearby in Hancock. Williamstown, Lenox, and Stockbridge are all quite scenic as is the drive between them.

I went to school in Amherst and as I recall, the drive back home over route 9 only took a bit more than an hour, so an easy day trip for you. I'm trying to think where 30 minutes west of Northampton would put the wedding. Goshen maybe and the Whale Inn?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Arrowhead is definitely on the agenda, and if I can figure out a decent itinerary, the Mount in Lenox and the Rockwell museum.

Yes, the wedding is at a friend's "farm" outside of Chesterfield, near Goshen. Not too many places to stay out there, so I thought Northampton would be a good compromise, as it sounds like there are restaurants, things to do, etc., and the Jonathan Edwards connection is a bonus.

Is Northampton Hotel okay? Other ideas?

It just seems like a shame to fly all the way out (I'm in SF) and not see more of the area.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:12 AM

I live in the Northampton area, having moved here about 5 years ago. It's hard to beat for a nice downtown location with plenty of retail, cafes, and great restaurants within an easy walking distance. Also two nice movie theaters that show mostly indie or art films.

The art museum at Smith College is one of thte top 5 university or college museums in the country and definitely worth a stop.

Paul & Elizabeth's is a vegetarian and seafood restaurant with good food and good prices. But if you're craving meat you'd better head elsewhere. You can find good Indian, Thai, Lebanese, Chinese, sushi, Italian, continental, and cafe-style food in a variety of price ranges. It probably has more good restaurants per capita than any other town of comparable sie.

Another side trip you might want to consider is driving up to the North Adams/Williamstown area to see the Mass. Museum of Contemporary Art (called Mass MoCA) and the oother museeum in town whose name eludes me. Tiny, but world-class. Beautiful drive from noho up to North Adams along the Mohawk Trail. You could also head up to Vermont--Manchester, Brattleboro, and Bennington are all worth seeing.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Amherst is home to Emily Dickensen (house visit by appointment, she's buried in the town cemetery), N. Webster, and H.W. Beecher (statues at Amherst College). Also Robert Frost.

Jonathan Edwards preached in Northamption, I believe, but I don't think there is anything to visit. Also Sojurnor Truth lived there.

If you like religious/intellectual history, you'd probably like the Handcock Shaker Museum. Also consider Sturbridge Village, which is south/east of Northampton.

How about this:

2 nights Northampton:
Walk around town, eat great food, good concert venues. Visit Smith Arbortoretum and the Northampton history museum (but I've never been, so I don't know).

Maybe a day trip to Sturbridge Village.
Or visit Emily in Amherst, and maybe the spankin new Museum of Natural History on the Amherst Collegs. Other museums in town include the Amherst College Art museum, the Museum of Picture Book Art, and the National Yiddish Book Repository.

Then Drive up the Mowhawk trail (rt 2) and stay in North Adams or Williamstown,

I second the idea of a drive to MassMoCa and art museums in North Adams -- or, if you stay the other 2 nights in the Berekshires, you could
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:30 AM

(Sorry, finger twitch).

...Stay 2 nights in Williamston, visit the art museums, Melville in Pittsfield, and travel as far south into the Berekshires as you like.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM

Correction -- you don't have to call ahead to visit Dickinson house, but they have limited hours.

You can also tour the Mark Twain House in Hartford. It's about an hour's drive south of Northampton.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM

Leely, I live in the Berkshires, and would recommend you trying to find a B & b in Great Barrington, or Shefield, MA
Both can be reached form Rte 7 not far from Goshen. North Hampton will be way too far. And anyway, you will wnat to experience the Berkshires. Tanglewood, Jacobs Pillow, Stockbridge and Norman Roskwell and the Berkshire Theatre Festival. Also, Lenex is a fun town to explore as well.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions. They're great. I'm having a bit of a hard time with Berkshires because of 3-night minimums in season, but will keep trying.

And of course now I've added some must-dos in Hartford, where I'll be flying in and out of (Mark Twain House and Harriet Beecher Stowe House and Library, plus I'm very tempted by the Freedom Trail tour in Farmington...). Too bad this wedding will take up so much of my time.

Any other recs are greatly appreciated. My sincere thanks to all!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM

If you end up seeing Mass Moca museum (which is great!) as suggested - and you may want to look on the website for the Williamstown Theater
wtfestival.org and see if anything playing interests you - site also lists other things in that area.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Just wanted to put in my vote for the drive along the Mohawk Trail, Mass MOCA, etc.

We had a very good meal at the Northampton Brewery when we were there last August. Good beer too!

If you're an ice cream fan, don't miss Herrell's.

Should you decide to visit the Yiddish Book Repository or Eric Carle Museum, both of which are on the campus of Hampshire College, you might want to check out Adkins Fruit Market. A very interesting little store!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again; I have filed all recs. I may have to miss Mass MOCA and the Mohawk Trail because my free nights will be toward the end of my stay and I need to head in a southerly direction (I think?) in order to end up in Hartford. Yes, I have maps, but as a Californian, going from one end of a state to another seems HUGE/impossible.

Right now I have:

Arrive BDL noon. Hopefully have enough energy for Mark Twain and Stowe houses.

2 nights Northampton Hotel (excursions as wedding activities allow; um, did I mention it's my sister's wedding?).

Drive to Pittsfield to see Arrowhead and go to Sturbridge. Then head south to Stockbridge? or Barrington? for 2 nights. Turns out these 2 nights will be midweek, so I have more choices--and lower prices . Does anyone have a good B and B rec for this area, under $300 pn? I keep reading about outlet shopping near Lee or Lenox; that's not what I had in mind in terms of atmosphere so I thought I should stay away.

Again, if I'm being completely wrongheaded about this trip, feel free to tell me.

Much thanks.

Leaving for Africa next week (be still my beating heart), but will surely post a trip report on my return from Mass in August.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I think you meant you'll head to the Hancock Shaker Village after Arrowhead, right, not Sturbridge? Sturbridge is clear over on the other end of the state. (I'm not a big Sturbridge fan anyway.)

I prefer Stockbridge to Great Barrington...can't get the old mill town image that it was in my youth out of my mind and that's not fair, I know, to GB. It has changed enormously; I've seen it, but still prefer Lenox or Stockbridge. Stockbridge to me has always been the place to be, but you might find better rates in Lenox. It's lovely and quieter than Stockbridge. Because I lived there, I have very little experience with any places to stay. The one time we did stay, we stayed in the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge--something I'd always wanted to do, but the actuality of it was a bit of a let down. Still, I love their big front porch--nice to sit, have a glass of wine and watch the parade of foot traffic from almost every walk of life.

I don't blame you for missing the outlet shopping. I've never enjoyed it either. There is fun shopping in Stockbridge, GB, and all along rte 7, especially the southern portions of the route--some nice antique shops all along the route. I also like the S. Egremont area along rte 23 for shops.

From the Berkshires you are only going half way across the state to get back to Hartford. As I recall, from Pittsfield drive time was only about an hour and a half. Some people can drive that long within their cities to get to their airports!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Oops, yes not Sturbridge. I'm trying to juggle too many things at once and am losing what's left of my mind.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll try for accommodations in Stockbridge or Lenox but will visit Great Barrington just to see if it exudes any mill town flavor.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Another thought --

Also in Stockbridge: Chesterwood, the home of Daniel French (?) America's pre-eminent sculptor for a while. He did the Lincoln Memorial statue, among other things. You can tour his home and studio, and see his working models.