Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 Days in Washington DC- Top Sites to see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-days-in-washington-dc-top-sites-to-see-28482/)

Marla Jul 8th, 1998 10:42 PM

2 Days in Washington DC- Top Sites to see?

We are arriving my train and have 2 days to see Washington DC, would appreciate the top absolute must-see sights to see while there and any suggestions on where to eat that is reasonably priced, not too expensive? <BR>Thanks!

Paul Rabe Jul 9th, 1998 04:39 AM

You could spend two days in the various parts of the Smithsonian Institute and not see it all. Spend a day wandering "The Mall", then buy a tram ticket and go to the Jefferson Monument, Arlington Cemetery, and other nearby sights. On a two-day visit, I'd skip the White House, as the tours are long and, no, you won't get to see the Lincoln Bedroom.

ilisa Jul 9th, 1998 05:04 AM

You may want to contact your congressman's office in Washington and see if they have any tickets left for the congressional tour of the White House. Contrary to the previous post, the tours of the White House are not long, maybe about a half hour or a little more. The congressional tour is guided, and takes place early in the morning, before the regular tours and before the museums open, so you won't be taking too much of your sightseeing time. You will avoid the long lines as well. However, you generally need to call for those tickets well in advance since offices only get a certain amount each month. If you have only two days in the city, plan your itineraries in advance so you don't waste precious time trying to figure out what you want to do. I give tours on weekends at the National Air and Space Museum, and I am amazed at the people who arrive totally unprepared, not knowing museum hours, when the White House gives tours, etc. Have fun, and feel free to email me if you have any questions. <BR>

Marla Jul 9th, 1998 11:39 PM

Thanks Ilisa and Paul for your input on the DC area, and I will try and write one of the DC congressmen, thanks again! <BR> <BR>Aloha!

scott Jul 13th, 1998 12:22 PM

Two days aren't enough, of course. No, the tour of the White House isn't long, but the wait in line is! Contact your Senator/Representative well before your trip. The National Gallery of Art is a must see, as is the Museum of American History. Much of what you want to see is on the Mall, between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial. The Vietnam Memorial is very moving. Ford's Theater is worth a trip. Arlington Cemetery is a somber, but interesting place. Those items will take up two days or a week.

czanoff Jul 13th, 1998 02:18 PM

Just went to D.C. over Easter and had limited time. The tram ticket is well worth it and saves LOTS of time that you'd spend walking. We managed to get in all of the Smithsonian museums. We had mapped out earlier just what we REALLY wanted to see and skipped stuff that was of little interest. I'd visit all of the monuments, the CAPITOL and Arlington. I found the laying of the wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier very moving as well as the changing of the guard (it's done very frequently). <BR> <BR>Have fun.

czanoff Jul 13th, 1998 02:18 PM

Just went to D.C. over Easter and had limited time. The tram ticket is well worth it and saves LOTS of time that you'd spend walking. We managed to get in all of the Smithsonian museums. We had mapped out earlier just what we REALLY wanted to see and skipped stuff that was of little interest. I'd visit all of the monuments, the CAPITOL and Arlington. I found the laying of the wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldier very moving as well as the changing of the guard (it's done very frequently). <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Erin Jul 13th, 1998 05:35 PM

Enough said about the White House--I, too, found it to be very interesting. Also, a tour of the FBI was one of the best things we did while there for 2 days. Washington, D.C. is a great place, especially since so many things are free!

Gigi Jul 15th, 1998 01:00 PM

Washington is terrific. I am surprised no one mentioned the Vietnam Veteran's memorial and the women's memorial nearby. Very moving and beautiful works of art. My favorite though, was the new Korean Veterans Memorial in the same area. A must see. It is an Infantry platoon, life size+, walking in a standard wedge formation. It is very haunting because it is almost like you are with them and they look right at you. Their faces look both incredibly weary and yet aware of the danger all around. We saw it on a rainy day in January and there were very few other people there. Since the soldiers are wearing rain gear, it was almost as if we were there with them, walking through the rice patty, expecting enemies all around. Just incredible. Nearby written in marble are the words "Freedom is not free."

Polly Jul 16th, 1998 04:44 PM

Don't overlook the new FDR Memorial which beside the Tidal Basin just past the Jefferson Memorial as you go toward the Lincoln Monument. Definitely walking distance from Jefferson. This tribute to FDR is literally a breath of fresh air inside the city.

June Jul 18th, 1998 11:27 AM

I also think Washington is terrific and we spend a couple of weekends a year there. Agree with those that suggested Vietnam and Korea war memorials and also the new Roosevelt Memorial. I'm not sure what hours the Tourmobile runs (we always walk our feet off instead, but we have much more time) but an evening tour of the monuments/memorials is quite impressive I find. As was also suggested, have a plan in mind when you arrive; otherwise you'll waste time wandering. Also whenever I do the Smithsonian with others, we split up and go to the museum of our choice. There's so much to see that we find it works best to go alone to what we really want to see and plan a time to meet. The old post office building and tower gives an excellent view of the city and the lines are much shorter than at the Washington Monument. It also contains a food court on the ground floor if you're looking for a simple meal where everyone can choose. Have fun...plan ahead!

marie moreau Jul 18th, 1998 09:31 PM

I too would highly recommend the vietnam veteran's memorial. You might also consider the holocaust museum. As for reasonable food, there's always the hard rock cafe. <BR>

Dave & Caprice Jul 18th, 1998 11:10 PM

I agree with the Mall idea. There is no way to see it all in two days, but it would be worth checking out. <BR> <BR>A few thoughts: we did not need to wait in line to tour the White House. We wrote and called our Congressmen and Senators to get tickets reserved for the White House, the Capital and the State Dept. On the day and time of our tour for the White House, we just walked up and in! <BR> <BR>The Capital tour was provided by an intern - very cool to have the specialized attention! <BR> <BR>The State Department tour was very interesting - lots of antiques and china collections from the First Families over the years. I know there is also some china at the Smithsonian, but thought I would throw out another option. <BR> <BR>Have fun - we did!

Caryn Jul 26th, 1998 07:05 AM

Don't know when you're going, hope it's not too late. Most of the sites centered around the Mall are FREE. I don't think anyone's mentioned that. Adams Morgan neighborhood is nice for restaurants and near the embassies, which are fun to see.

kjbeer Jul 27th, 1998 06:58 AM

I agree with the folks who say that you should take the White House tour, but definitely call your Senators or Representative for tickets. The lines can be really long without tickets. <BR>Here are some places that I think are worth the effort to see: FDR Memorial--amazing, National Portrait Gallery, National Building Museum, and the Philips Collection. There are never crowds at any of these places, and they are well worth the effort to get to them.

dee schur Jul 27th, 1998 12:38 PM

The National Cathedral, Basilica and Arboretum are amoung my favorites. The kids love Arlington Cemetery, Air and Space and the FBI tour. Have fun!

jan Jul 29th, 1998 05:07 PM

A fun thing to do in D.C. with kids: take a "D.C. Ducks" tour. An World War II amphibious vehicle takes you for a spin around the Mall and then goes right into the Potomac for a water cruise. It is SO fun and very reasonable. To get information search for "D.C. Ducks" on the net. I believe they have their own web site.