Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 days in Savannah, GA with 2 kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-days-in-savannah-ga-with-2-kids-1656602/)

evedal06 Aug 6th, 2018 08:16 AM

2 days in Savannah, GA with 2 kids

Hi, we are coming to visit Savannah as a last minute trip. I found great airfare, the kids have wanted to try flying, and I've heard great things about Savannah so Savannah here we come! I was wondering if there were any hotels you would recommend for kids, should we rent a car for our stay, and most importantly what do you consider to be the must sees/do in Savannah with two kids, ages 9 and 11, and only 2 days? Thank you so much!!

rizzo0904 Aug 6th, 2018 02:55 PM

We stayed at the Homewood Suites. Great stay. No issues.

My kids enjoyed Pinpoint History Museum, the Savannah history museum and it's reenactment, and the railroad museum. They also enjoyed walking around, checking out fountains, trying new foods. Pralines were a hit. Grits were not.

garyt22 Aug 7th, 2018 07:18 AM

Make Savannah a day trip from Tybee Island... they are only 20 minutes apart, and kids and family are much better on the beach, than staying in the historical area...

Consider the Old Savannah trolley to take you around and plan on spending some time on River Street for the shops and park...with the hop on and off, you can explore at your own pace... the dock near the info/welcome center has a free ferry that makes a three stop trip around the river and returns...

Savannah is a bit dry for kids interests, but combining the trolley, river st. and Tybee makes it a great few days... have fun

StantonHyde Aug 7th, 2018 04:55 PM

I am with rizzo--those were all great places. If you click on my user name, you will see a detailed trip report for Savannah (and Charleston). Kids will have lots of fun.

gmoney Aug 8th, 2018 06:51 AM

Disagree with Garyt, Stay in Savannah and day trip to Tybee. Tybee is one of the most boring beach towns I have ever been to. Good for a day trip at best. Plenty to do and see in Savannah for both kids and adults. The girl scout museum is another cool spot for kids.

garyt22 Aug 9th, 2018 04:33 AM

gmoney... you forget what it's like to deal with 9 and 11 year olds....

gmoney Aug 9th, 2018 05:15 AM

Gary, We have been going to Savannah since my daughter was that age. Have been there 5 or 6 times and she still talks about it being one of her favorite places. And I was very unimpressed with Tybee, could not imagine spending more than a day there.

evedal06 Aug 9th, 2018 10:45 AM

Thank you for all the recommendations! My two like the beach but in limited amounts. We will check out Tybee, we are getting a car, but will be staying in Savannah. They actually like museums if they are at all interactive and really enjoy exploring.

gmoney Aug 10th, 2018 04:50 AM

Evedal, hope you enjoy Savannah as much as we do. Here are a few more recommendations.

- Vinnie Van GoGo's for huuuuuge pizza slices
- Pirates House restaurant (great place for kids).
- Definitely check out the candy shops on River street and watch them make pralines and get a sample right out of the cooker.
- Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express on Bay street have rooftop pools.
- On your way to Tybee check out Fort Pulaski National Monument. Cool historic fort and plenty of room for kids to run around.

Enjoy.

5alive Aug 11th, 2018 09:54 PM

Girl Scouts from all over the USA visit Savannah.The Girl Scout house is the founder's house; it is not just a museum either, they have various scheduled activities there. My troop never did it, but it was often talked about. And clearly there is a lot of tourism geared toward kids since so many visit. The girls I've talked to all liked the ghost walk and the carriage ride.

The Girl Scout philosophy is 'every girl everywhere' so if you have girls who are not in a troop, still consider going.