2 days in Portland w/o a car- ????

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in Portland w/o a car- ????

Hi all. This site has been so helpful to me in the past while planning trips. I'm going to Portland Oregon for Labor Day Weekend for the 1st time (staying at the 5th Ave. Suites) and I'm trying to figure out where to shop, eat, explore, etc.
I definitely want to take advantage of no sales tax so I'm interested in where the best shopping is, as well as the best way to get around the city, and some good places to eat near our hotel. Can we get to all of the gardens without a car? (and without paying on ton for cabs)
Also, if the weather's nice, which Gardens would be nicest at this time of year?
Thanks all,
jacqui
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:44 PM

http://portland-oregon.com/

Hi jacqui,
We will be in Portland at the end of Sept. We are also staying at the 5th Ave Suites.
I understand that the hotel is very centrally located, you can walk to many shops and the big stores are very close by.
There is a light rail system that runs through the city.
I have enclosed above a good site for Portland .. have a good time!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:00 PM

If you don't have a car, then 5th is the place for you! Pioneer Place has really great shopping and there is a Nordstrom's there. Check out www.shopthepearl.com Try to dine at the Bluehour while you're in Portland, it's a not-to-be-missed place.

It's the place to see and be seen! The Rose Gardens are gorgeous, I must have visited them half a dozen times on our last trip. Enjoy Porltand and don't forget your umbrella! You are a tourist, yes!! ***kim**
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:35 PM

Don't know that the rose gardens are the place to see and be seen, but you can get there via mass transit. Take MAX to the zoo, and a shuttle from there to Washington Park. The rose gardens, still in bloom, are there, and the Japanese Gardens nearby. The Chinese Gardens are downtown, within walking distance of 5th Avenue Suites.

Anything in particular you're shopping for? Aside from the downtown core, you're a short walk from the Pearl District, and a bit of a hike from NW 21st and 23rd (I'm sure there's bus service if you can figure out which to take). Or, MAX will take you across the river close to Lloyd Center, one of the nation's first covered malls. Kind of fun to watch the ice skaters there.

Any number of good restaurants nearby: McCormick & Schmicks, Jake's, Southpark, The Chop House, and Ruth's Criss to name a few. If you don't mind the walk to the Pearl, the list is almost endless. Fratelli's, Giorgio's, Oba, Piazza Italia, and a little place called Caffe Allora are some of my favorites. Bluehour is also in the Pearl.

Enjoy Portland, and forget the umbrella. The weather is supposed to be great.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:48 PM

You can take the light rail all the way from the airport to Pioneer Center for $1.60/person. I don't think you need to rent a car. You should be safe walking and taking cabs if need be. I'd check out the Pearl District as others have suggested. There are some great little restaurants and shopping on NW 23rd(you will need a cab). My favorite place to eat still is The Bluehour-make reservations now!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 08:24 PM

LOL Beachbum, I was referring to the Bluehour, not the Rose Gardens! That was one of the comments on CitySearch or Trip Advisor regarding the Bluehour.

A definite must for anyone visiting Portland! ***kim***
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:06 PM

People like to mention Portland's MAX train, but in truth, it doesn't go that many places. However, Portland does have an excellent bus system, too, that gets you just about everywhere. Most buses converge on SW 5th and 6th Avenues on the Bus Mall that intersects with the MAX train.

A one-two zone ticket to most places you want to go is only $1.30 (good for about two hours). You can buy a day pass to travel anywhere on the bus/train system for $3.50. Buy either of these when you get on the bus for cash (exact change) from the driver. MAX tickets and bus transfers are interchangable. Or, if you stay within the downtown core, you can ride the buses/trains free in "fareless square". Just say "fareless" to the bus driver when you get on.

To get to NW Portland (NW 21st/23rd), take the #15 bus on Washington St (goes right past the 5th Ave Suites) to NW 23rd or the #17 bus on 6th Ave to NW 21st Ave (goes through the Pearl district). You can also ride the Portland Streetcar to NW and the Pearl but you have to walk up to 10th Avenue.

SE Hawthorne Blvd has some interesting shopping, too. You can take the #14 bus on 5th Ave out to Hawthorne in about 20 minutes. The #14 runs often during the day and early evening hours.

You can get to all the gardens without a car. In the summer time/early fall, take the Wasington Park Shuttle (on Main St. between 4th and 5th) up to the International Rose Test Garden and the adjacent Japanese Garden. The Chinese Garden is somewhat walkable from downtown and the 5th Ave Suites but you can take many free buses up 6th Ave to get close and take busses back up 5th Ave.

See www.TriMet.org for all the Portland transit schedules.

Andrew
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all....that was very helpful! I'm going to call Bluehour for a reservation today, and if the weather turns out as nice as they say it'll be, we'll probably try to see several gardens and just wander the city! Nothing particular I'm shopping for...maybe some new fall clothes since I can avoid sales tax!
Take care and thanks again,
jacqui
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM

Be sure and double check the weather before you come! It has been rather damp today - not cold but damp. Beachbum should know not to say the weather will be dry in Oregon. Just pack a light rain coat to go with your shorts and you'll fit right in! Enjoy Portland, it is so pretty right now!
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:25 AM

Note that I wrote, "The weather is supposed to be great," Sara. No promises... The forecast: mid 70's Sat. warming to high 70's on Mon., when there's a 20% chance of precipitation. You might bring the umbrella for shade!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Let us know how you like the Bluehour, I can guarantee you will love Portland! Rain or shine, either way it's a very nice place to be! ***kim***
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:33 PM

They didn't mention that the MAX system from downtown Portland is free to the Lloyd Center. It is within the "fareless square" as they call it. The Stanfords restaurant there is a great place for a casual dinner. For me, the best seafood in town is at McCormick & Schmicks. Check out the Saturday/Sunday market under the Burnside bridge.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 11:26 AM

I can see that the OP is probably here by now- I am offering further advice for other visitors. Hopefully OP will come back and tell us about her trip!

Red Star (bar & restaurant) is located in the Fifth Avenue Suites. The food there is great and I love the atmosphere. If the restaurant is too expensive, an alternative is the bar at happy hour. Many delicious snacks available- southern food with a fancy twist- the onion rings and home-made ketsup (SP?) are particularly good.

Southpark (mentioned above) is another one of my favorite downtown restaurants. It also has a great bar with a "small plates" menu- gorgeous food.

The classical Chinese garden is my personal favorite garden (great all times of year, and is an easy walk from your hotel), but the Japanese and Rose gardens are wonderful as well. Esp. the views from the rose garden!

I would also recommend taking the street car (also mentioned above) to NW 21st and 23rd avenue for more independant retailers, bars and restaurants. (There is a TINY bar on NW 21st and Glisan called the M bar- rather minimalist, a little gem in my opinion).

On the way to NW 21 & 23 there are many worthy places to get off the streetcar and wander, like Powell's books (considered by many a "must see") and the Pearl District.

The public transport website is Trimet.org. I think the PT system here in Portland is very good- I rely mainly on it and my bike to get everywhere I need to go!

Have a fantastic trip.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Where are the Classical Chinese Gardens? We have not been to either the Japanese or the CCG, which do you prefer? Is there an admission fee? ***kim***
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM

The Classica Chinese gardent is located at NW 3rd & Everett. It takes up a city block, but being in it feels like you are in another world. The space consists of a series of outdoor "rooms" sorrounding a small lake. Every inch of space is utilized to maximum effect. The entrance fee is $7. Also, the tea room is excellent- lovely teas and also wonderful food.

The Japanese Gardens are in Washington park, in the west hills of Portland. The Gardens are set on about 7 acres (if I remember correctly). It is more of a open, park like environment, very natural & beautiful. The entrance fee is 6.50.

I personally prefer the Chinese Garden, but I think most people favor the Japanese Garden. They are very different from eachother, so I think that both should be visited!

They both have web sites:

http://www.japanesegarden.com
http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info, we've been to the rose gardens many times, I wonder why they don't charge admission there? Both look very nice! ***kim***