Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   2 days in Portland on Oct 12-13 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/2-days-in-portland-on-oct-12-13-a-257894/)

sam Sep 14th, 2002 10:44 AM

2 days in Portland on Oct 12-13

I am flying into Portland from LA on Friday October 12th and my girlfriend, who now lives in Seattle, is taking a train in to Portland on Friday as well. I want to show her a wonderful, exciting, yet romantic and relaxing time. Our time frame is pretty much from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. I must budget a one night stay with my dad in Beaverton, and I want to stay at a nice hotel the other night--either Friday or Saturday night. What do you recommend? We are both into art, culture, wine tasting, nice restaurants, martini bars, etc. I need your help. Thank you in advance. <BR><BR>Sam<BR>

kathy Sep 14th, 2002 09:01 PM

Sam,<BR>My favorite hotel in Portland downtown is the Hilton. It's in a great location and you can walk all over the city, close to the art museum, theaters and the Max line, which will take you anywhere, including Beaverton. They often have weekend rates that are more than reasonable. There are fancier places around but none that are so convenient. Bring your umbrella.

I Sep 15th, 2002 09:28 AM

I guess I'm a little confused by the wording: are you staying with your dad to save funds, or because you want to fit in some time to visit with him?

Owen O'Neill Sep 15th, 2002 09:42 AM

Yes.... it would be helpful to know if the one night with your dad is for budgetary reasons or simply because you need/want to spend time with him. If it's a budgetary issue you might consider using Priceline. recent winning bids show folks getting downtown Portland 3* hotels for $28-35 per night and 4* for $63-85 per night. I was there a few weeksn ago and got the Doubletree for $28 through PL. Nice hotel and certainly adequate but it was on Lincoln Ave at the far end of downtown from where many of the more interesting restaurants, cafes and stores are located. I found it helpful to have a car but I believe the public transportation system is good. I had only one meal out (at Dan and Lou's Oyster bar - a very old-timey family oriented restaurant but the pan-fried Yaquina petite oysters were fantastic!)and can't comment on restaurant or club scene.

pdxer Sep 16th, 2002 07:58 AM

There are much, much nicer hotels than then Hilton in Portland. The Heathman, for one, is right across the street from the Hilton and is a beautiful, historic hotel with one of the best restaurants in town and it is adjacent to the Performing Arts Center. The Vintage Plaza hotel is also very central and nicer, IMHO, than the Hilton.

samuelcasad Sep 16th, 2002 11:49 AM

Thank you so much for the responses so far. Is the Heathman close to the farmers market? How far? Is the farmers market happening on Saturday and Sundays? I am definitely interested in the art museum, and just being conveniently located near everything in downtown. Is the Heathman near Rock Bottom Brewery (not a priority, just curious)? I know my girlfriend mentioned she wanted to farmers market, the art gallery/museum, and just being close to everything. A romantic setting is also important. Are they any nice Bed and Breakfasts around there, or would the Heathman be the way to go? Thanks again for your help and responses. <BR><BR>Sam

samuelcasad Sep 16th, 2002 11:51 AM

Also....I am planning on staying with my dad for a night to spend time with him, not for budgetary reasons. However, I am always trying to get the best bang for the buck though. I don't mind paying good money if it's worth it. Thanks again for your replies.

Wendy Sep 16th, 2002 11:56 AM

I go down to Portland just for the art museum. It is fantastic!<BR><BR>Check out the Red Star, Sauce Box (personal fav) and Blue Hour for wonderful cocktails!<BR><BR>Also you may want to drive out on 99 to the North Willamette wine country (30 mins out of town). If you wanted a truely romantic B&B out in the wine country for a night the Youngbrook B&B is the best! Also the Joel Palmer House out there is the most romantic this side of Europe!<BR><BR>Have fun!

pdxer Sep 16th, 2002 12:12 PM

The Heathman is very near the Farmers Market which takes place on Saturdays only in the Park Blocks near PSU, a few blocks from the Heathman. The art museum is just across the park from the back side of the Heathman. Rock Bottom Brewery is also downtown, a bit more of a walk, but not far (10 blocks?). (Portland downtown is not that big - you can walk to just about anything in the downtown core from the Heathman). I don't know of any B&Bs that are downtown or nearly as conveniently located as the Heathman. The Portland Saturday Market (under the Burnside Bridge) is also kind of fun. It's not a farmers' market, but a craft market with lots of food booths and street performers.

sam Sep 17th, 2002 04:17 PM

Are there any Green Bay Packers friendly sports bars in downtown Portland? How is Rock Bottom for Sunday afternoon football?

Andrew Sep 29th, 2002 07:53 PM

For the NFL, you might try Claudia's Sports Pub And Grill on 3006 SE Hawthorne ( www.claudiaspub.com ). Opposite side of town from Beaverton, but they claim they show every NFL game...<BR><BR>I second the recommendation for the Hotel Vintage Plaza and would add their restaurant Pazzo's Ristorante is an excellent upscale Italian restaurant (it's more "neo-Italian" or whatever you want to call it).<BR><BR>I also second the recommendation for Priceline for Portland hotels (more importantly, see BiddingForTravel.com to learn how to USE Priceline). If you bid for only a 3-star hotel you can probably get a great price, but you risk being on the east side of the river. Bid for a 4-star and you are almost definitely going to be on the west side (i.e. "downtown"). The Hotel Vintage Plaza and its sister property the 5th Ave Suites(4-star hotels) both use Priceline, so you might get lucky with your Priceline bid and get one of those two for a good price.<BR><BR>Jake's downtown seems to be the most popular "Portland Restaurant" for visitors. If you want dining with a great view check out the Chart House (good food but you pay for the view) - a little south of downtown by car. If you really want to splurge, the Portland City Grille downtown in the US Bancorp Tower (30th floor) has an even better view, but you'd better bring the gold card... <BR><BR>On the other hand, if you get in the mood for a good slice of pizza, try Escape From New York on NW 23rd Ave or Pizza Schmizza downtown near Pioneer Courthouse Square.<BR><BR>For a casual drink try the Heathman Hotel on Broadway. For desert try the Papa Hayden's on NW 23rd - GREAT cheesecakes and such.<BR><BR>Portland has a great public transportation system - free trains and buses directly downtown in "fareless square".<BR><BR>See my site at www.bizave.com for lots more Portland info and photos.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>

sam Sep 30th, 2002 01:39 PM

Thanks Andrew. You were very helpful as was everybody else on the site. I appreciate your time in helping me. I just made a reservation at the Heathman over the weekend, and I will take your recommendation on the restaraunt on the 30th floor of the US Bancorp building. Any other places such as a nice martini or wine bar near the Heathman?? Thanks again.

pdxer Sep 30th, 2002 02:32 PM

Sam - I just read about a hotel special deal in Portland. Lots of hotels are offering special rates for fall, including the Heathman. Check out www.travelportland.com for details. I think the rate for the Heathman was $130 or so.

Andrew Oct 1st, 2002 07:25 AM

I emailed Sam a few more suggestions. One I forgot: the restaurant called "Southpark" on Park and Salmon downtown. My aunt just ate there last week and raved about it - great seafood. It's only two or three blocks from the Heathman I think.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>