Notices

2 days in Manchester, VT

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in Manchester, VT

We are driving to Manchester, VT this weekend. Any recommendations on what to see/do. We are not skiers and are traveling with 2 kids. I have read that VT 30 from Manchester to Dorset is very scenic. Would it be nice at this time of the year? The other places to see I guess are the Lincoln home, the Vermont Country Store. Any others?

Any suggestions on places to eat will be very helpful.

We then plan to drive to Northampton, MA from there. Any suggestions on scenic drives en route?

Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I don't know how scenic things are at this time of the year. It's lovely in fall, and maybe early winter with freshly fallen snow, but now...?
Manchester is really about outlet shopping these days. Hildene, the Robert Todd Lincoln site will be closed this Sunday (Easter)
Vermont Country Store is fun if you've never been but there are stores all over VT that would provide the same sort of novelty. 2 location, neither really that close to Manchester.
What types of things did you want to do? If you drive up to Burlington, there's more to do for adults and kids.
Is there something special you plan to do or see in Northampton? Lots of good food places, but not much sightseeing.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Hope you're not staying at the Equinox in Manchester. Neighbors just got back from a long weekend there with their kids and were extremely dissatisfied with their choice. Apparently, the Equinox is renovating and it impacts guests greatly. And they don't tell you when you reserve.

Just thought I'd warn you. They did receive a $150 credit on their bill when they complained.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning about Equinox. We did read about their construction noise and disruption, so stayed away. That was our first choice though. Maybe some other time. We are currently booked at the Manchester View. Any feedback on that. Not luxurious as we wanted though, but the staff seems very friendly on the phone .

We are visiting Northampton/Amherst just to kind of show the kids around where we spent our grad school days.

Vermont came up because my brother wants to see the mountains. So we may just end up shopping and relaxing, but I wanted to see if there was anything else. How long is the drive from Manchester to Burlington? We were essentially looking for something close to the Amherst area.

Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Burlington is about 100 miles from Manchester - approximatley 2 1/2 hrs. north on Rt. 7.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM

DH and I love the Manchester View, but have only stayed there in the summer. Heated pool, comfortable room, beautiful view of the mountains. I agree, Manchester is all about the shopping. A lovely town over the mountain, take route 11/30 is Chester. Also even tho you don't ski, take a ride to Stratton and walk around Stratton Village. Great atmosphere even for non-skiers.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM

I was in Manchester today and although it was raining the drive was very beautiful. Still snow in the woods and I found it very pretty!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Nice to hear its still beautiful. Our spirits were starting to get dampened seeing the weather forecast.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM

We have stayed at the Manchester View, on recommendation from a friend, and loved our stay. It was very comfortable and clean and the people as nice as could be. Enjoy!