2 Days in Lee Mass - Berkshires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We have only 2 days in the Berkshires next week. We are staying in Lee. Any recommendations on things not to miss during the day? We know about the evening possiblities with Tanglewood & Jacob's dance, so we're set for evening stuff. We like museums, hiking and "cute" villages. Also enjoy historic homes. While not historic I saw Frelinghuysen Morris House and Studio. Anyone been there? It sounds interesting from the description. I'm assuming a drive to N ADams to see Mass MoCa might be a bit much for 2 days? We might try and hit it on way out or when we come back thru the Hudson Valley at the end of our vacation. Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge. Mix that with walking around Main St would be a great day. Chesterwood (Daniel Chester French's residence) is near there as well. You have Arrowhead (Where Moby Dick was written). A drive to N Adams would be a long day but you could combine that with a drive up Mt Greylock for some hiking or a picnic then go into Williamstown.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:14 AM
yk

If you like historic homes, I suggest the Edith Wharton Estate just outside of Lenox:
http://www.edithwharton.org/

If you do go to N Adams, it's probaby worthwhile to visit the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM

I like Naumkeag even better than the Edith Wharton house, one of the nicest historic homes in the Berkshires:

http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/335_naumkeag.cfm

Monument Mountain is a nice short hike.

There are a couple small historic homes in Stockbridge, I think the Jonathan Livingston house is one of them, its got an interesting tour.

Williamstown is a long drive, and I think you will find plenty to do closer to Lee. Although the Clark is certainly worthwhile (and, IMHO much more interesting than Mass MOCA. I like modern art, but Mass MOCA just doesn't quite do it for me.

Also, when you drive through Hudson valley, consider Olana, the Frederic Church estate.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
yk

C_C, thanks for the suggestion on Naumkeag. I didn't know about this place. Looks great. We may go there for a visit soon.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 12:49 PM
yk

yestravel, I just came across this:
http://www.chesterwood.org/AmericanIcon.html

tchoiniere has already mentioned Chesterwood (home of sculptor Daniel Chester French) and Norman Rockwell Museum. This appears to be a pass which you can save $ if you visit 2 or more places.

Has anyone been to the Hancock Shaker Village? Comments?
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thaks everyone for all the suggestions! Sounds liek we should be spending a week there. We will scour the internet over the next couple days and pick a couple to visit.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:14 PM

I just spent a week in the Berkshires (stayed in Hancock) and there is tons to do. I had stuff planned all but one day and still could have done a lot more and that did not include any hiking.

If you go to the Norman Rockwell Museum, you should listen to the gallery talk they give every half hour or on the hour, I can't remember. It is very interesting and lasts about 20 minutes. Hopefully you will get Al not the lady with the annoying voice who went after him.

There are a few different combined passes (as someone mentions above).

I also went to the Hancock Shaker Village and thought that was very interesting as well
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:38 AM

For a very lovely short hike, try Tyringham Cobble. For details, and info about some other hikes/gardens go to www.thetrustees.org.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM

I was going to mention Hancock Shaker Village when I saw the original question and see others have commented on it. I highly recommend it both for the historic interest and for the beautiful site and wonderful Shaker architecture and furniture.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from our trip to NE and wanted to put a plug in for Frelinghuysen Morris House and Studio -- it was great. A fabulous house with some great art. We lucked out and were the only people on the the tour. I was not familiar with George Morris and/or Suzie Frelinghuysen and was fascinated by their lives. Highly recommend a visit here.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
yk

Where else did you visit, may I ask?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM

Do have dinner at the Old Inn on the Green in New Marlboro.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

In the Berkshires that was the only place we toured as we ended up with only 1 full day in the Berkshires. We hiked Monument Mtn, checked out Lenox, Great Barrington and Stockbridge and otherwise drove about the small roads, enjoyed the scenery and relaxed. Wished we had more time to explore the area as it was lovely and clearly a lot to see.