Reload this Page >

How to get from NJ to NY

Search

How to get from NJ to NY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:12 PM
QALady

How to get from NJ to NY

I am going to be in Montvale, NJ on business this week July 9 to 12th, and I'd like to travel into NY Wednesday or Thursday night to catch a show. Assuming I don't leave work until 5:30, will I have enough time to get into the city to make an 8:00 curtain? I will have a car, but is it easier to take a train or a ferry and a bus or cab into the city? Is there parking available in the theatre district if I decide to drive?

Also, what is a good show to see? I saw Rent, Proof, and Chicago last year...

Thanks for the advice!
QALady

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Dave

QALady,

Even with rush hour traffic, you will not have trouble getting to your show at 8PM. If you decide to drive, the tunnel toll will be $6.00 and Parking will be around $25. Have Fun.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Tara

You can park at the Port Authority (Just above the Lincoln tunnel) for around $12.00 it's a 4-5 block walk to the theatre section and worth it on the way home to avoid the traffic - or you can park next to any theatre of choice and pay, as Dave said, Min. of $25.00. Depending on where you are going (Theatre) and what you feel like eating, consider restaurants such as the Dervish Turkish (West 47th St) offers discount parking for theatre goers... If you have not yet obtained tickets for a show, check on Playbill.com for discounts - ie: Cabaret, HairSpray and I'm not Rapport all have great deals going - Rent is another good choice - have a great time!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:33 PM
John

QALady:

Listen to Tara! Best little secret to Park in NYC is above the Bus Terminal!
No hastle of driving thru this crazy town! And...easy out of this crazy town! Ha! Have fun!
JOHN

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:45 PM
flygirl

I enjoyed the Full Monty last weekend.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Owen O'Neill

If I understand correctly, the parking above the PA bus terminal is closed for several months for repairs on the ramp. This started several weeks ago. There are good alternatives very close by. You can continue on 40th St and cross 9th Ave rather than turning up the ramp to PA parking (as I said - now closed) and just past 9th Ave on the right is a garage that has good evening rates - usually $12-14 incl tax. Or... you could just stay straight on the tunnel exit rather than turning on 40th and when that street ends a few short blocks later you'll be facing a parking garage and can drive right in (it's on 42nd and you can't miss it). In any case I advise driving down and entering through the Lincoln Tunnel - Mapquest will tell you to use the GWB to the Henry Hudson and West Side Hwy but the GWB is often a mess at that time of day (the Lincoln gets backed up but not as badly).

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:43 PM
jo

If you want a fun evening, see "Mama Mia", better than the "Full Monty"