Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1st timer Q, Will I have time to relax, or is my Itinerary too busy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Scott

I’m planning our first family vacation to Hawaii, 5 nights Kauai, 5 nights Big Island, 5 nights Maui and 2 nights in Oahu. At first I thought this would be a great mix. Now I’m not too sure. I have listed a brief itinerary, but I think it may be too busy, not enough relaxation. What do you think I should cut out? I already cut out guided tours on Islands that we take a Helicopter ride on. The remaing time I expect to spend at the beach and pool. How much time do you expect to waste from going from one island to another? I am expecting to use up a half a day for each switch.

Kauai
Helicopter ride
Snorkel/SCUBA
Drive/tour Island on own

Big Island
Helicopter ride
Snorkel/SCUBA
Drive/tour Island on own
Dolphin Quest (I think it's on this island)

Maui
Guided tour
Snorkel/SCUBA
Submarine Ride
Drive/tour Island on own?
Luau

Oahu
Arizona
Polynesian Cultural Center

Other things I want to do but have not picked an Island
ATV ride
Fishing trip

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Johnlw

The problem is that changing islands virtually takes a whole day. When you consider checking out of your hotel, going to the airport, turning in your rental car, queueing and flying, getting a new rental car (lines can be LONG), going to and checking into your new hotel, well, there went Wednesday.

Too busy, I would reduce the number of islands for this trip, you lose too many days in inter-island travel.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Jen

I don't understand why you claim that changing islands would take a whole day. When I visited relatives on Oahu for 10 days, we made a DAY TRIP to the Big Island and had plenty of time to look around, and that's including time for 2 flights/island changes, plus 2 interactions with the car rental people.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:02 AM
PJ

I agree with JohnLW, it can take an entire day to go from one island to the next. I was just in Kauai Sept 2002 for 7 days and we flew to Oahu for a 6 night stay. Well we had a 12:30pm flight, left our hotel at 9:00am (stayed in Princeville area) returned the rental car and was at the airport by 11:00am. Caught the plane at 12:30pm and arrived at 1:00pm. Went to get our luggage...No luggage...had to wait for the next plane by the time we got our luggage, caught a cab and checked into the hotel it was going on 5pm. We were extremely exhausted and felt like we waisted an entire day!!! I know the luggage thing was unusual but our traveling partners took another airline out of Kauai and did not arrive until after 4pm in Oahu because the plane was being repaired.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Jen

Well, of course if your plane doesn't leave until 12:30 and then you have to wait around for luggage or plane repairs, it's going to eat up a day. But as you pointed out, the flight iself is a matter of minutes and those delays are unusual.

My experience was before 9/11/01 -- what are security precautions now, on inter-island flights? Do you have to show up ages in advance, as for other domestic flights?

Also, what are the rules for carryon luggage? When we went to Hawaii, even our initial luggage from the mainland was all carryon, just pack a couple of bathing suits and forget about potential lost or delayed luggage.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Lenore

Is does take a half day to switch islands, but not a full day unless you foolishly take an afternoon flight! Be sure to book morning flights and you'll arrive at your new hotel before check in time. If you arrive at the airport early enough and get checked through quickly, they may even put you on an earlier flight. That's what happened to us, so we actually got to our next destination earlier than planned. Skip the Luaus since almost everyone agrees they are very overpriced for mediocre food. One helicopter (they're ridiculously expensive) ride is plenty, either Kauai or BI. You may want to save Oahu for another trip, unless that's where you need to fly home from. If you do go to Oahu, be sure to go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.....TONS of fish of all kinds. Have fun!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:44 PM
linda

don't forget when planning your trip,that you cannot fly for 24 hrs after scuba,be careful going up to altitude afterwards also.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:43 PM
jill

If you need more R&R time, I would cut out the submarine ride and luau on Maui and the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. And I agree that one helicopter ride is probably enough. I did one on Kauai and the views are spectacular because the island is very lush, sheer cliffs and normally a good share of waterfalls. The only advantage to doing the helicopter ride on Big Island is seeing the lava flow. Not sure how it is now, but I know people were flocking to the island in the summer when the flow was just spectacular...just my opinion as a kama'aina (local).

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Kameha

Hi Scott,
I guess no one knows what is good for another person. For me, your itinerary would be too busy. I have been to all four of those islands, but we have done them one at a time for 7-10 days each. That works well for us because my kids (14 and 19 now but as young as 6 when we first went) like lounging around a lot! My husband and I can get up and snorkel while the kids sleep in. They can hang out at the beach and boogie board while we do the same, or shop, or nap. Anyway...I took the helicopter ride on Kauai and it was well worth it. I would not recommend submarine ride. Did it on Big Island and it was a waste of money, especially if you are going to snorkel. If your kids are old enough, take a scuba diving resort course. We went parasailing on the Big Island and it was fabulous.
If I was going for that many days, I personally would cut it down to two islands - Kauai and Big Island - just because I think they are the most beautiful and diverse. Have a great, family time whatever you do.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:48 PM
rrr

We just got back from doing 6 days on each of the 4 islands.As for flying time=usually we were at the next hotel in the early afternoon and our flights were in the morning around 10 or so. I think it worked ok to do it that way since it was our first trip there also-but I wouldn't book any helicopter rides or boat things in advance-we thought we might do some things and then changed our mind.Also, we were surprised that we really liked Oahu-we originally thought we would skip it except for the Arizona but we drove around the island and saw some beautiful scenery there-and also had fun in Waikiki. We found the best snorkeling to be on the Big Island. Also, we did the road to Hana on Maui-there was some beautiful scenery there also but after having driven on all the other islands we found it got tedious-may have just been "scenery-ed" out by then. I understand people saying pick one or two islands only and we really tried to do that but couldn't decide so we were glad we did it with all 4 - if we ever go back again we can now pick one or two based on this trip.
Have fun-and pack light!!!!!Having to repack for the interisland flights gets old

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:22 PM
zzz

Is Oahu a must? It is very crowded there. I've visited all the islands and think if you're looking for relaxation you should spend more time on one of the other islands. If it is a must, perhaps just a day trip? I think if you do a text search others have not enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural center that much. If you plan on renting a car traffic can be really bad. The Arizona is nice but if you're looking to cut travel time Oahu may be the place to do it.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Scott

Oahu is a must because that is where my flight our flight home is leaving from, we could cut it down to one night at Oahu.

Thanks

Scott

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:00 AM
zzzz

In that case it's really up to you, you may feel rushed with only one night in Oahu but as far as attractions and relaxation go I'd prob. just spend just the one night there. Regarding helicopter rides are you sure you want to do 2? Not to scare you but there are about 8 or 9 helicopter crashes per year in Hawaii. Be careful you are going with an experienced pilot that has logged thousands of hours.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:15 AM
fiona

Whatever you do don't check-in at the airport for whatever time you are scheduled and then take an earlier flight. We were told we could get on an earlier flight after we checked in and our luggage did not arrive until an hour and a half later. We were told that our luggage would be on our earlier flight and it wasn't so beware. We flew on Aloha Airlines. We called when we got home to complain and they told us they never tell people that the luggage will be on their flight if they go earlier. We will never fly with ALOHA again!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:43 AM
lani

goodness, what a busy itinerary...

i agree with some of the other posters...a helicopter ride for me gets old fast.

on kauai, i know people like to see the waterfalls and such, but i preferred the 45-min one on the big island to fly right up to the lava flow, which is really something to see.

fishing? what kind of fishing? best deep sea fishing is the kona coast (where they have the billfish tournament every summer). my uncle from there always has the best seafood at his house, freshly caught by him.

i also take visiting friends and family to the big island for an overnight. fly into kona, drive the south way stopping at a few sights, end up at volcanoes park, spend the night in hilo, then next day drive the north way around the next day, with more sights again. i prefer kona over hilo anyway, and if we have time we just relax in kona...you can fish or go snorkeling.

do you really need a guided tour of maui? it's really very easy to get around (aside the haul to hana) and do-able on your own, armed with a few leaflets/guidebooks.

i would also skip the luau, but if you want the full ceremony works then i think maui is the best place.

i think the USS arizona is a MUST. i have often skipped polynesian cultural center and opted for a polynesian show in waikiki simply because people were too tired of travelling and my cousins wanted to just hang at the beach. not to mention going to hanauma bay or more snorkeling. the view is also fabulous.

if you want to sample some hawaiian food there are a coupleof good 'local' places near waikiki you can go to, if you skip a luau.

as for interisland air, i can't tell you about luggage since i only travel with a handcarry, but we always book in the morning and have no problems. very often we're able to get onto an earlier flight. bags that don't arrive with you are normally delivered to your hotel by the airline, although you will have to allow an extra 30 min to file the forms. the longest flight i ever had was from maui to kauai when we had to take a flight that had a layover in honolulu for an hour. otherwise, about an hour from honolulu-hilo.

you will be very tired, but i think as long as you try to have 2 consecutive days of relaxation is should be fine. if you start early, most times you can tour each island on your own in a day.

good luck with your planning, sounds like a fantastic vacation!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:11 AM
Scott

Thanks to all who replied.

You provided me with some great information. I think I will cut out the submarine ride and maybe stay one less night on oahu and one more night on one of the other islands. I will also add snorkel in Honolulu @ Hanauma Bay. All this may change though, since the Orchid (where my reservations are at) on the Big Island is changing owners and I may have to change hotels. If that's the case, maybe I'll cut out the big island all together (I hope not, but..).

Well I still have some time yet before we go.

Scott

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
Big

Why would a change of owners cause you to change hotels?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Scott

I'm using fequent quest points.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:55 PM
Steve

Keep the helicopter ride in Kauai (phenomenal) but you could cut this out on the Big Island if you get too busy. Go to the magic show in Maui (Annabeles or something like that, we loved it!)