Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   1st time hotel in NYC, reasonably priced in okay area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/1st-time-hotel-in-nyc-reasonably-priced-in-okay-area-743739/)

jlkids Oct 19th, 2007 09:24 AM

1st time hotel in NYC, reasonably priced in okay area

Hi, looking for suggestions for a hotel in NYC. First time visit so we have no idea what is an okay neighborhood to stay in. Don't need top of the line (can't afford it!) but would like decent. Also, is there a preferred airport?

Thanks so much :)

paula1470 Oct 19th, 2007 09:28 AM

The most important thing is to let us know when you are visiting NYC and your budget. Reasonable priced in New York is a whole different ballgame than in most other cities.

As far airports, Laguardia is the closest but depending where you are flying from, many flights particularly nonstops fly into JFK. You can also check prices flying in Newark Airport.

nytraveler Oct 19th, 2007 09:36 AM

Also - tell us how many of you thre are.

Many NYC hotel rooms hold only 2 people (1 double or 2 twin beds). If there are more of you you'll need to get a larger room and that will control hotel selection and room price (in NYC kids are NOT free and 12 and over is usually considered an adult).

bethke14 Oct 19th, 2007 09:38 AM

Hello,

The date is very important, as is the size of the group. Are you traveling with a family? A lot of standard rooms in NYC offer one bed.

Keep in mind that in New York, a hotel under $200/night is often considered a steal.

Do a search for New York Hotel or NYC hotel and you will find many, many, many posts.

jlkids Oct 19th, 2007 10:46 AM

Okay, didn't know how much info to give, didn't want to overload! We have break 3/15-3/23 and were thinking of going 3/16-3/21. Two adults and two teenagers. As far as reasonably priced hotels, I was thinking of something $250-$300. We are coming from Minneapolis.

GoTravel Oct 19th, 2007 10:49 AM

Since it your first time, I would check out both The Doubletree and Renaisance Times Square.

If they aren't in your price range, go to www.Affinia.com and try for one of their moderate suites (Dumont, Shelburne).

Don't even think about picking a hotel that includes breakfast because breakfast is one of the cheapest things in New York. You can get coffee and a bagel for $2.

GoTravel Oct 19th, 2007 10:53 AM

Just did a quick check on the Affinia website and you can get a one bedroom for your dates for $280 per night.

That is a steal! I'd jump all over it!

jlkids Oct 19th, 2007 11:02 AM

Wow, you are so quick with the replies! Thanks
Just wondering are all of these in decent areas to walk around in?

The Doubletree and Renaisance Times Square or Affina(Dumont, Shelburne).

bethke14 Oct 19th, 2007 11:19 AM

They are all in good locations. The Renaissance and Double Tree are in Times Square - it's packed and at the center of the Theatre District and lots of things. It's very busy - lots and lots of people. The Shelbourne and Affinia Dumont are in Murray Hill - it's a little more residential, but is close to the Empire State Building and Macy's, and subways to anywhere you want to go! I stayed at the Affinia Dumont in August and LOVED it. Both areas are very safe (my mom and I took the subway and then walked to the hotel after seeing shows, and always felt comfortable.)

I agree with GoTravel - $280 for a suite is a terrific deal. If it's a cancelable reservation, I'd book it now, and if something better comes up, you can take it and cancel the Affinia.

MFNYC Oct 19th, 2007 11:40 AM

Personally I think the times sq area is a bit chaotic, and not the best place for dining and shopping.

I like the Affinia hotel locations better. We've had several visiters with kids stay at the SHelburne in 1 bedrooms. They have either a king or 2 queens in the bedroom and a sofabed. They also have a kitchen which comes in handy.

Either location has good subway access. No one location is close to everything but much is reachable pretty easily in either case on foot and/or by public transportation.

Doubtletree is a nice hotel too, but the one bedroom at the shelburne is bigger (I haven't been in the other affinia property mentioned).

As far as airport, if price and schedule is about the same, then Laguardia, if not, whichever is cheapest (Lag, JFK, Newark).

There's also an Embassy suites downtown that is supposed t obe very nice, but it's a but out of the way. On the other hand it's right along Hudson River Park which has bike and skate paths, kayaking, trapeze and some other activities that may interest you family.

klam_chowder Oct 19th, 2007 11:44 AM

I'm a NYC newbie too and I just want to let you know GoTravel knows what s/he is talking about.

Last week I posted here for opinions btwn 2 hotels on which I'd found deals for both. GoTravel suggested I grab one for the rate I found (just over $200). I did and when I checked today for the same hotel, the rooms are going for $545!

My party's demographic is totally different from yours (e.g., we'll be heading out to bars/lounge for drinks) but it's just an example of how local knowledge is the real benefit of this board.

Enjoy-la!

klam_chowder Oct 19th, 2007 11:47 AM

Just want to note I was cross-posting with MFNYC, not countering her/his point(s). (=

GoTravel Oct 19th, 2007 12:01 PM

Thanks for the kind words klam!

I doubt you'll ever see the rate you got for Six Columbus again any time soon. I suspect it is the soft opening rate as the hotel is supposed to be pretty upscale.

The $280 was for a one bedroom and the suites were cheaper. The one bedrooms at the Shelburne and Dumont are much much larger than the suites at the Doubletree or Embassy.

The one bedroom includes a full kitchen.

dmlove Oct 19th, 2007 12:45 PM

Not dissing them by any means but just be aware that the different Affinias are, well, different. The Shelburne for example, is in need of "refreshing".

curiousgeo Oct 19th, 2007 01:16 PM

I've also been looking at the Affina properties as a possibility for NYC. Assuming location isn't much of an issue, any preferences between the Shelburne, Dumont or Eastgate Tower in terms of quality of accomodations? Thanks.

jlkids Oct 19th, 2007 03:37 PM

I looked at the Affina properties and they look super. The only disappointment is nothing is refundable. If the reservation is changed in any way or cancelled it is 100% nonrefundable. That really stinks :(. We have two people in our family with chronic health conditions, so for the most part there is no problem going, but there is always the slightest chance that there would be a problem and we'd be unable to go. I may call them direct and see if they have anything different to say.

I was able to find flights in to LGA at $225 roundtrip per person, which was great, so thanks for that airport reccommendation.

dmlove Oct 19th, 2007 03:53 PM

jlkids, did you scroll down? The first set of room rates is the non-refundable rates, but below that are the slightly higher refundable rates. For ex., a non-refundable studio is $243, a refundable studio is $269. However, they also have (scroll even farther down) a weekly rate of $256.

jlkids Oct 19th, 2007 04:26 PM

I couldn't find the weekly rates, but I found where some were refundable and some weren't. Thanks for pointing that out.

dmlove Oct 19th, 2007 04:27 PM

I was only looking at the Affinia Dumont as an example. Maybe the others don't have weekly rates.

jlkids Oct 19th, 2007 05:32 PM

I was looking at the Dumont and couldn't find it!