Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   1st New Orleans trip over Labor Day weekend (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/1st-new-orleans-trip-over-labor-day-weekend-245262/)

nancy Aug 1st, 2002 05:06 PM

1st New Orleans trip over Labor Day weekend

My husband & I are making our first NO trip over the labor day weekend. We are very exicited about the trip. I have been reading all the comment about the hotels and it’s so difficult to decide on one. I am thinking about the ones:<BR><BR>Windsor Court - $250/night, jr suite<BR>Soniat - $150 for a room on the third floor with a king bed I have reserved<BR>Monteleone - $180 for std room king size<BR><BR>It’s tough because I hear most good review for these, but also some pretty disappointing ones. Sounds like because they are old, many has not been updated, even Windsor which is newer than others. If you have stayed at any of these, please help me with your suggestion of good/bad rooms. I am so lost. <BR>Also, I just found out about the Decadence Festival over the Labor day weekend, would it be too rowdy/ crowded? <BR>Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!Nancy<BR>

JJ Aug 1st, 2002 05:23 PM

Nancy<BR>If your budget allows You gotta stay at the Windsor Court. @ 250 that is a steal even though I have NEVER stayed there. I have stayed at all the 4 stars up and down Canal. Business friends stay there on b-trips and it truely is on the next level up.<BR>Let me know if I can help you on some eating spots. I travel there several times a year.<BR><BR>JJ

susan Aug 1st, 2002 06:55 PM

How many times are you planning on posting this same question? If you want to pull up your original post, just top it.

tom Aug 1st, 2002 07:04 PM

We loved Windsor Court..but we had originally been given a better suite on the city side and were lucky to downgrade to a Jr on the river side. They also have a lovely pool. Just call ahead and confirm with the reservation manager that it is very important to you to have a riverside view...although the hotel is lovely, the other view is dismal compared to the beautiful room.

tom Aug 1st, 2002 07:11 PM

You might also look into or visit the W next door to Windsor...it is a very funky modern place...but mor New York than Nola style. Also check out NOLA Live Dining Forum for restaraunt recommendations.....do a search.

nancy Aug 2nd, 2002 07:37 AM

Thanks for all of your feedback. I may have to double check the Windsor again. <BR>I posted this question again because I couldn't find the first one I posted.(Sorry, didn't search correctly.) <BR><BR>I am a little concern about the Decadence Festival as I was hoping to visit NO when it's not as busy. If anyone can advise of your experience during the festival time, that would be great. Maybe we should choose another long weekend instead. Thanks.

todd Aug 2nd, 2002 07:38 AM

Nancy, my wife and I were in N.O. a few years ago over the Labor Day holiday, and ran into the Decadence Festival crowd from time to time down in the quarter....but was it any more rowdy and crowded than normal? Not really. <BR><BR>It's all in good fun, so relax, let go of your inhibitions, and have a good time!<BR><BR>

Nobody Important Aug 3rd, 2002 04:56 PM

Decadence gets bigger and bigger every year. Mostly, the big gay crowds are concentrated in the area around the gay bars (Bourbon between St. Ann and St. Phillip, for instance). If you venture into these areas, you can expect to run across skimpy clothing, exposed genitals, fondeling, oral sex on the street, etc. If you venture IN to the gay bars, you can expect to see much more. If any of this bothers you, don't go into those areas. They are easy to avoid.<BR>