Reload this Page >

1st Class hotels in Newport, RI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Tony

Will be staying in Newport, RI for five days at the end of Sept. Never been in area before. Looking for very nice hotel with harbor views. Price not a problem. Recommendations?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Frank

The Marriott is right on the harbor, so if you are looking for a big chain type hotel with a known product, then it probably fits the bill.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:09 AM
curious

Try the Castle Hill Inn. IMO it's the best Newport has to offer and it is one of the few with Harbor views. They also have little Beach cottage rooms. I know they have a website but I don't know what it is. Do a search. The Cliffside Lodge or Inn is also very nice but is a B&B rather than a Hotel. I love Newport, have a great time!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:50 AM
SharonG

I stayed at a chain hotel on Goat Island. I think it was the Mariott. Wonderful place. Easy access to everything. I didn't have a car, just walked everywhere. I love Newport.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Ben

Definitely the Hyatt Newport. 1st class hotel on goat island with great harbor views.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Lizzie

Newport isn't really known for "first class" hotels like the Four Seasons, etc. I would second the recommendation of Castle Hill Inn which has an absolutely beautiful location. It's farther from town than the other chains listed are - but the others are just that, chains, and they are big and busy without much character. Plus, the drive out to Castle Hill takes you by gorgeous houses and amazing scenery. Check out www.gonewport.com - they have listings of accomodations, tons of b and bs and inns, and you'll definitely find something to suit you.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Triple-O

Forget the Hyatt or the Marriott. They're OK, but they're chain hotels and have little atmosphere. Being on Goat Island is a drag---you have to get into the car or walk 15 minutes to get back downtown. Stay at the Hotel Viking or Vanderbilt Hall.

Here are the URLs for the "Rants and Raves" about Newport hotels. You can read the Fodor's review plus the comments of people who've been to the hotels:

CASTLE INN
http://www.fodors.com/rants/rrread.cfm?destination=newport@191&class=Lodging@2 0003&property=Castle%20Hill%20Inn%20and%20Resort@4 7573&entity_id=41050&ref=miniguides

HOTEL VIKING
http://www.fodors.com/rants/rrread.cfm?destination=newport@191&class=Lodging@2 0003&property=Hotel%20Viking@175656&entity_id=4218 3&ref=miniguides

VANDERBILT HALL
http://www.fodors.com/rants/rrread.cfm?destination=newport@191&class=Lodging@2 0003&property=Vanderbilt%20Hall@47569&entity_id=41 046&ref=miniguides

Hope this helps.

Triple-O

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Topper

Topping

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Geoff

Also going to Newport. Other than mansion tours, what other activities are there? A friend recommended going to Jamestown. What is there worth seeing?

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Sara

I am going to be in RI the last 2 weeks in September as well. I was recommended Venderbilt Hall in Newport. I heard it is very nice.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Triple-O

Other things to do include the Cliff Walk, the international tennis hall of fame (great if you're into tennis), the Norman Bird Sanctuary (nice but easy hike, especially when the leaves turn in the fall), touring the downtown Colonial part of Newport, visiting the topiary garden, taking a harbor cruise.

Triple-O

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Beth

There is a small winery next door in Middletown. They offer tours and tastings.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 04:19 PM
stephanie

While there take a harbor sailboat tour. I enjoyed it because I'd never been on a sailboat and found that fun and interesting.