Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   1789 or Tabard Inn restaurant - Washington DC for 10 people (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/1789-or-tabard-inn-restaurant-washington-dc-for-10-people-792666/)

LoriNY1 Jun 28th, 2009 09:54 AM

1789 or Tabard Inn restaurant - Washington DC for 10 people

DH and I are going to DC Labor Day weekend with 10 friends to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We have narrowed down our choice for the celebratory dinner on Saturday night to 1789 or Tabard Inn. Since we have never been to either, I'm looking for some first hand info. We all are considered foodies, and we all enjoy good wine. Thanks!

glover Jun 28th, 2009 11:02 AM

I've been to both of these frequently (though, admittedly not recently). I'd be inclined to give 1789 the edge - if only because you'd have a better overall chance of good atmosphere and also they have a special going on through mid September. Actually this is often our own anniversary restaurant of choice. (In fact, we were there Sept. 11, 2001 - as sept 11 is our anniversary)

Tabard has lots of very different table choices - if a lovely eve, their outside patio (quiet) is great - but don't think you can reserve it. Largest dining room inside space is rather plain/dark with tile floor - making it very noisy. (Reminds me of a camp dining room somewhat) Smaller rooms up a few stairs from main room are quieter, cozier, but could feel a bit cramped/claustrophobic for 10.

On the other hand, most reserveable spaces on FIRST floor of 1789 are great. (Most people aren't fond of second floor seating)

I used to think the food was very good at both places, but assume you'll do due diligence here and elsewhere to collect most recent reviews!

PamSF Jun 28th, 2009 11:08 AM

While I LOVE the bar at the Tabard..not so much the food and the dining room is not particularly "festive".

LaurenKahn1 Jun 28th, 2009 01:29 PM

I would vote for 1789.

Ackislander Jun 29th, 2009 02:25 AM

My son made anniversary reservations at 1789 earlier this month. When their menu arrived, it had their names printed on it, the chef came to speak to them, and they got a complimentary something or other. Can't say it happens all the time, but you never know!

MikeT Jun 29th, 2009 07:06 AM

Definitely 1789

GeorgeW Jun 29th, 2009 07:59 AM

DC foodies, including Post critic Tom Sietsema, would recommend 1789.

LoriNY1 Jun 29th, 2009 08:31 AM

Thanks all. We are leaning towards 1789. The menu looks more 'interesting. The private room at the Tabard Inn was nice, but they had a $150 room fee (ouch!). I didn't like the looks of the main dining room, I agree with Glover, the b/w tile would make the noise level high, and it looked too casual. 1789 has a private room, but you can't get the special 3 course price fix if you are in it. So, we will just book a reservation for a table of 10. I do feel bad because we will most likely be loud, yucking it up and such, so don't go eat there that night :).

yestravel Jun 29th, 2009 09:16 AM

No comparison -- 1789. Tabard Inn is charming esp the patio or diner in front of the fireplace in coolder weather, but food is just average. Don't worry about being loud -- lots of special occasions are celebrated at 1789.

obxgirl Jun 29th, 2009 09:54 AM

No problem, Lori, but since I want to avail myself of that special deal, would you let us know what night you're planning on taking over 1789?? Kidding, of course...and happy anniversary in advance!