Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

17 days travelling in US but which is the best state?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I have travelled to the US several times and a few years ago ventured to New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont taking in the wonderful city of Boston in an RV and simply loved it. I am thinking of doing a similar tour but would like some advice of which state is best to travel round.

Without doing much research I am thinking of Chicago and the lakes area, or Memphis, Nashville and the Tennessee area or maybe Texas, Dallas area.

We are 2 girls travelling, so obviously want to feel safe and would do the city first before picking up our RV. But if you advise travelling by car and booking hotels we would consider that if an RV is impractical.

Have done California area and most of East coast so looking at venturing some where new.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your comments and if we are a bit too ambitious.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Arizona and SW Colorado
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM

The western US is all beautiful. I'd add Wyoming to the 2 above.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Washington. Maybe a little Oregon.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Nearly every area has something to offer. Chicago and a Great Lakes Circle Tour sound nice.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Alaska is gorgeous.

Also Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico. All of these states are very large though...much different from the East Coast so you will need to make sure not to over-do your planning.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM

1) Arizona/Utah area

2) Portland/Seattle/Vancouver
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Charleston, SC.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oregon and Washington are nice. Would be somewhat similar to the trip you mention liking in New England states.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Texas is bigger than California land wise and does have contrasting scenery from the east to the west. For national parks though the above mentioned Arizona, Utah and Wyoming dominate.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Great lakes are flat and not too diverse geographically. A more interesting trip would be to the Pacific Northwest (Oregon Coast, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, San Juan Islands, Seattle Portland), or to the Southwest (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde)
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM

For Europeans, Arizona (with a detour to Las Vegas), Utah, and some of Colorado are always my first suggestion.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
This is a fascinating thread! The US is so huge & so diverse, it's like having to decide which country in Europe is the best! I, for one, wouldn't want to make that call!

And seeing the responses, I'm reminded once again how very, very different each of us is! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wisconsin or Montana. Or the South! Lousiana, Georgia, the Carolinas (are they the south?!), etc.

My point to the OP is that the responses you get here -- absolutely including my own! -- should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

BTW, the New England area you so enjoyed is absolutely one of my favorite areas of this country.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another thing to realize is that the back East states are MUCH smaller than the ones out West.

You can drive from Connecticut, up thru Massachusetts, hit Vermont, hand a left into New Hampshire in 3 hours.

NOT true for Texas, California, Oregon, Washington, etc.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Cross Dallas off your list right away.

Chicago is a great city. You would love it. You could spend alot of time in Chicago, then do a loop around Lake Michigan up through Michigan, across Wisconsin, along the shore of Lake Superior, and down through the forests and lakes of Minnesota.

A different trip would be the pacific Northwest. Northern California, Oregon, and Washington (and don't forget British Columbia, Canada) can be a great trip if you do it during the sunny season.

Finally, the Rocky Mountains are great. I'd focus on the area from Northern Arizona, up through Utah and the western part of Colorado, up through western Wyoming, and don't forget about western Montana. A great trip, but no "great" cities along the way like you would have with Chicago.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM

You have seen New England, which is one of the most beautiful parts of our country, but the most like Europe. (Not sure from where you are coming.)

I'd go for the really unique: the southwest. Go see the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Try to get over to Santa Fe, New Mexico if you can, too!

Best wishes and safe travels!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
(Broken record begins... begins... begins...)

WHEN is almost as important as WHERE in these discussions. Arizona and Nevada are great... but not in August. Seattle, BC, the Redwoods... equally great... but not in February.

By season, I'd say:
Jan-March, Florida/Georgia coast/Gulf - New Orleans

March-May, Gulf coast - Mississippi River (New Orleans to Memphis via the Delta is a wonderful trip, especially for music lovers.) OR Arizona/Nevada/So. Utah

May - September, Pacific Northwest or northern-tier transcon (Chicago to Seattle, say.) Or the Rockies, or N. Great Lakes (or most of Canada.) Alaska.

September - November, same as March-May, except watch out for storms in the Gulf/south

November - January, Florida, California, Hawaii.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I'm with Gardyloo. "When" is very important in giving suggestions to your inquiry Kazza1.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Western Montana, Idaho, Utah
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hi
Have you ever thought of going to Canyon de Chelly in Arizona? It is Navajo land and incredible. Cobine it with a trip to a Hopi reservation and the Grand Canyon. How about Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -