Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

17 Days in CA, PA, & NY - What to see and do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'll be visiting the States from August 26th to September 11th and tentatively the plan is to be in California from the 26th to the 31st, fly to Pennsylvania on the night of the 31st and spend the 1st through 5th there, then bus to New York for the rest of the trip. The only confirmed details are my arrival (August 26th, noon) and departure (September 11th, evening) timings.

This trip, among visiting my sis (in San Francisco) and my friend (in New York City), is to check out a few colleges and experience backpacking - also a much needed break! I enjoy museums and artsy stuff but the main point is to immerse myself in the American culture and meet interesting people so I'd like to keep my schedule flexible and not cram too many things into my itinerary.

I will be staying in hostels (tentatively, USA Hostels San Francisco in CA; Apple Hostels of Philadelphia in PA; and Hosteling International New York in NY - please advice on this too), I'm traveling on budget but spending, if necessary, is fine! The only places I cannot remove from my itinerary are the colleges, and everything else is flexible.

Currently my plan is as such; please help by offering your suggestions and advice!

San Francisco, California
- Alcatraz Prison
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Stanford University

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia's Magic Gardens
- Eastern State Penitentiary
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Fairmount Park
- University of Pennsylvania

New York, New York
- Columbia University
- New York Public Library
- Central Park/ Washington Square Park
- Metropolitan Museum of Art/ Museum of Modern Art
- 911 Memorial (perfect timing!)

I can walk long distances and am pretty much open to anything! Also, visiting neighborhoods and seeing people doing real things would be cool. Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 02:29 AM

I do not even know where to begin. I suggest you look at some old topics on these boards and guide books.

When someone says they want to immerse themselves in American culture or any culture, it is a daunting if not unrealistic task. There is high, middle, and low culture. There are maybe 20 genres of music that were born in the US but we also play and borrow music from all over the world. Our art is innovative but museums are filled with European, African, Pre-Columbianm and Asian work.

To me the history of America, is the history of immigration. Many go to the Tenement Museum in NYC, but that is the smallest sliver of it.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 03:18 AM

I would strongly suggest that you get advance tickets for the Statue of Liberty and take that tour along with visiting the Ellis Island Immigration Museum - which is brilliant. Also agree that the tenement museum is fascinating. Together they give you at least a partial picture of how we became americans.

And we do not have one "culture" but dozens of regional, local and ethnic cultures which combine to make us who we are. Queens, one of the boroughs of NYC is the most diverse county in the country - with immigrants from more than 110 different countries.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Gia

Columbia University is an excellent school, beautiful campus, hope you enjoy your visit. Be sure to download a map of the subway system in NY, I'm not sure if they even keep them at the toll booths anymore. ? It's the best way to get around the city and you will see lots of "culture" that way. I recommend hanging out in the village, walking around soho, and if you have time, venture out to my hometown: Brooklyn. Even walking from downtown over the Brooklyn Bridge on a beautiful day is a great experience. And having lived in Hell's Kitchen for so many years, I'm partial to that neighborhood as well. Great, inexpensive places to eat up and down 9th & 10th Aves. check and see what fairs/festivals may be going on around that time. Checkout newyork.citysearch.com for lots of suggestions. Have fun!
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Gia

I happen to love broadway shows, if you've never been and have any interest, go to the TKTS booth in Times Square for last minute, discounted tickets to some of the best shows on Broadway.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM

For San Francisco, read this:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 01:48 PM

If you're going to have a car in California, consider some spots along the coast, say Half Mood Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey to south and Point Reyes, Bodega Bay and Mendocino to the north.
Or, Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino wine regions
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!!

Aduchamp, I think you might've misunderstood me; possibly "dabble" would've been a better word than "immerse" 'cause that little sliver's just about what I'm out for! But thanks anyway - I might check out Tenement Museum too.

Nytraveler, I think I'd include Queens when I check out Brooklyn Bridge - thanks for the suggestion!

Gia, subway sounds awesome, and thanks for the advice! That's kinda what I meant, too Thanks for the Brooklyn Bridge suggestion too - I read somewhere it's quintessential NY experience and I think I'll put that together with the memorial on my last day (also because it's near to JFK)!

Sf7307, wow that's really comprehensive! I'll probably check out the neighborhood city guides.

Boomboom, yep I'm gonna have a car and will definitely be in Monterey!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Um- Queens is nowhere near the Brooklyn Bridge. And Brooklyn and Queens are each separate boroughs (counties 0 - New York City is made up of 5 counties. Brooklyn is huge and more than 2.5 million people live there - Queens is also sizable - with more than 2.3 million. Obviously both are primarily bedroom communities - although they each have a number of towns (some hundreds of years old) with neighborhood centers and cultural activities. But most is just row upon row of modest houses or garden or mid rise apartment buildings interspersed with small shopping areas.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Gia

Roonn, I'm partial to Brooklyn. And when I have guests in town, they inevitably want to (at least once) see downtown Manhattan, sometimes Ground Zero, sometimes the South Street Seaport, sometimes Statue of Liberty, sometimes a play or show, sometimes Central Park, and sometimes a walk to see the Brooklyn Bridge (which is beautiful in person!) then head over to Grimaldi's (on the Brooklyn side) for pizza, ice cream or a walk to the park, etc. Yes it's touristy stuff, but you know what, you're a tourist! So knock yourself out. But don't be disappointed if you don't get off the island of Manhattan. On a map, the boroughs look (and are) close (in km) but it's not as easy to hop from Brooklyn to Queens as you might think!

Just go with it. You can make all the plans in the world, but there is so much to see. I usually like to have an outline, a couple of "must-sees" and then the rest is "if I can get to it" list.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant...cream-factory/
http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profi...rimaldi_s.html

It's always an adventure. Have fun, travel safe.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Gia

Here's the link to the Metro Transit Authority in NYC: a map of the subway system but you can click on other tabs to see Rail & Bus as well.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow thank you very much Gia!! I guess I'm sold for the Brooklyn Bridge (and the food options too!) though now I'm wondering: should I just stay on Manhattan or would Queens/Brooklyn be worth it (given the short stay)? I guess I'll check out a lil' of Brooklyn post Bridge-walking but maybe not Queens then.

Also, thanks a lot for the map! 'm surprised they aren't using the schematic layout (like the London Tube) but this is good enough Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you renting a car anywhere? Where did you want to try backpacking?
It has been my experience that Hostelling International hostels are better than most others. There are 3 in San Francisco and another at Marin highlands over the GG bridge.
Outside Philadelphia is the Chamounix HI hostel which is a mansion which is bound to be better than the Apple.
For a young woman, I would look at Bryn Mawar (sic) in the Philadelphia area.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Hi Roonn,

I think it's wonderful that you'll be dabbling or immersing yourself in what San Francisco, Philadelphia and NYC have to offer. Three US cities that are definitely amongst my favourites (and giving you a feel of a few takes on urban America).

Philly has not gotten a mention in this post and since it looks like you'll be there for five full days, I'll mention a few of my favourite things to do there. It's enjoyable for strolling and taking one back to early 13 Colonies history.

*Independence Hall I'd put high on the list to get a feeling of some of the issues going on when the United States was founded.
*The Art Museum in Phila. is I believe one of the best I've seen.
*Reading Terminal Market and the Italian Market I found enjoyable for the food and ambience.
*South Street and Rittenhouse Square are fun for people-watching: you'll see the constrast of uncouth, rough-and-tumble Philly and sophisticated, cultivated Philadelphia.
*I enjoyed a day trip out to Manayunk on the SEPTA train line.

After many visits to New York, my favourite thing to do in NYC is catching some off-off-broadway theatre and aimlessly wandering Greenwich Village and stopping in a bakery, etc... that catches my fancy.

What I enjoyed most in San Francisco:

* I loved *biking* across the Golden Gate Bridge (gorgeous views, make sure you arrive before the fog rolls in, cool as that is to see!) and crusing down to Sausalito, catching the ferry back to downtown.
* Dolores Park and the park (Alamo Square) by the Painted Ladies for ambience and views.
*Climbing up to Coit Tower
* Taking a bus to the beach by Golden Gate Park!

Have a great trip! Daniel
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM

I would recommend the Ellis Island Immigration museum (would do this over the Statue of Liberty) in NY and the Independence National Historic Park in Philadelphia

The University of Pennsylvania museum of archeology and Anthropology is also excellent.

Since you want to see Washington Square Park/Greenwich Village it would be easy to visit New York University (another very good school) as well as Columbia.

I just asked my son who goes to UPenn whether he knew anything about the Apple Hostels of Philadelphia, and he doesn't. It's in a good location. The Lonely Planet web site with its Thorn Tree Forum would probably give you more info about hostels.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Gia

Roonn, I would just plan to stay in Manhattan and leave downtown/Brooklyn Bridge for a day. You're going to be very busy in the city. I agree with Daniel, off off broadway shows, Greenwich Village, so many food options, people watching etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Tomfuller: I won't be renting a car anywhere, but my sis has a friend in SF who could drive and is willing to drive us around! Chamounix was/is my first choice (and right in Fairmount Park too!) but they're out for the time I'm there, and I can either stay there for 2 days and move someplace else for the other 3 days (kinda like a chore) or just stick to a single place for the entire 5 days. What do y'think? Also, I checked out Bryn Mawr place and am presently slightly confused as to what to do there - any suggestions?

Thank you Daniel! Definitely going to the art museum (also, Rocky symbolism) and also South Street and all that jazz. How/where can I catch an off-off Broadway show? (Also: what are the prices?) Was thinking of walking across the Bridge but might do biking instead - anywhere that I could rent bikes from? Coit Tower does seem attractive! Aand while we're at it: I've always been interested in the Amish, but I read that what you get in Lancester's probably commercialized and not "real Amish"; also, not sure if it's worth a trip down!

Vttraveler: thanks for your suggestions! I might actually take out Washington Square Park in lieu of Central Park - d'you think the former's worth the visit? Thanks - I'll check that out. Currently I'm using www.hostels.com and www.hostelbookers.com and there doesn't seem to be many hostels around in the Philly area

Gia, thanks a bunch for your advice! Slight confusion here though: by "downtown" d'you mean the Brooklyn area? Also: know anywhere I could catch an off off Broadway show? Greenwich seems a nice place too; thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Off Off Broadway
http://theater.nytimes.com/venues/off-off-broadway.html

For Washington Square Park versus Central Park, you should visit both. Central Park is a destination in itself. Washington Square is a small park from which you should visit the surrounding neighborhood of Greenwich Village. You should include the vibrant neighborhoods of Greenwich Village and the East Village in your plans.

Gia's downtown is downtown Manhattan. The Brooklyn Bridge connects Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Gia

Thanks for clarifying for me ellenem.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Hi Roonn,

I rented a bike from Blazing Saddles near Fisherman's Wharf, although there may be other places. I think I walked my bike to get away from the crowds/traffic near Fisherman's Wharf but I remember it being a pleasant path to the Golden Gate Bridge mostly.

Not much experience with the Amish besides regularly getting quite tasty soft pretzels with dip from one of their stands in Reading Terminal Market.

Best wishes, Daniel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -