17 Days in Alaska in 2010

May 18th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

17 Days in Alaska in 2010

Hi, I'm from Thailand and in need of your help in planning a trip to Alaska in late May or early June 2010. Joining me are 3 seniors -parents and a friend of theirs, all of them are in great shape. We will have 17 days for this trip, but if needed, a few extra days can be added. Your answers/ideas/comments on the following points would be highly appreciated:

(1) My parents want a road trip while I want to cover Glacier Bay National Park. Would it be possible to combine the two? I'm thinking about starting Anchorage from where I can figure out how to cover some parts of the AK Interior, but I am clueless from then.

(2) I try to avoid a long cruise if possible

(3) How's driving in AK ? I love to drive but dont want to risk too many curves and too challenging mountain passes. I found driving in Canada and Canadian Rockies reasonably easy but I have no idea about AK.

Thank you so much

NuKeng

Best,
NuKeng
May 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM

Driving is fine. I don't recall any challenging areas except for traffic in and around Anchorage. Why do you want to visit the interior? 17 days can go by very quickly. Your visit will be about the time you have a good chance of seeing mother moose with a calf. You will probably be too early for salmon fishing and watching the fish and fishermen.
You could take a short cruise via the Alaska Marine Hwy from Belllingham WA to Juneau. We have not been to Glacier Bay but enjoyed the ferry as far as Skagway. It is small compared to a cruise boat with very basic accomodations. You would need to reserve early. A 4 person room is tiny with bunk beds so I would recommend two 2-person cabins. You could visit Glacier Bay while parents did something else. Then take plane from Juneau to Anchorage where you could pick up a rental car. You will not need 4-wheel drive BTW. On our last trip we had a borrowed eldery buick station wagon which was just fine. When we took the ferry we had a vehicle with us so drove from Skagway to Anchorage (overnighted in Tok). Interesting but very long drive and I don't think you could take a rental car on the ferry. With 17 days, I don't think I would take the extra time.
May 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM

With all the time you have, I would suggest a land touring of interior Alaska and a one way cruise, including Glacier Bay. This would give you a fantastic varied tour. Look at an open jaw flight.

In the timeframe, there is plenty of options to consider. Driving is regular, well maintained "normal" roads.

Your routing, could include Seward- especially good if you do take a cruise. Denali Park, Fairbanks, Homer, Valdez. Do your homework, and find out about these areas, then rank your interests.

Search this Thread