Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   17 days from Anchorage to Seattle (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/17-days-from-anchorage-to-seattle-312459/)

KEC Apr 30th, 2003 05:19 PM

17 days from Anchorage to Seattle

Hi everyone~
A while back I asked a question about where to go in the US with FF miles. Well, I finally decided, but by the time I did, my choices for dates were limited. The best I could do was:

June 22 - Phila. to Anchorage
July 8 - Seattle to Phila.

So, does anyone have recommendations for an itinerary? I just got some books from the library & have been looking through them. Right now, I am envisioning 3 possible choices:

1. Spend half the time in Alaska
Fly from Anchorage to Seattle
Spend the other half in Seattle area

2. Spend some time in Alaska
Cruise (if I can find one) to Seattle or
Vancouver
Spend the rest of the time in Seattle area

3. Rent a car in Anchorage and do a 17 day
drive to Seattle

Other options:

Are there any trains that go from Alaska to Seattle?

I still have to look into the airfares from Anchorage to Seattle, and also possible cruises...any other ideas?

Also, if I decide to split the time between Alaska and Washington, how many days should I allocate for each? Any itinerary suggestions?

Thanks so much for any suggestions. The knowledge on this message board is amazing!

Gardyloo Apr 30th, 2003 07:28 PM

Options 1 and 2 are easy to arrange. Option 3 is a non-starter; car agencies won't allow one-ways from Alaska to the lower 48 or v.v.

There are a number of cruise departures from Seward south to Vancouver BC in that time frame. (They can't cruise to Seattle because of legal restrictions.) Look at Expedia or some such for southbound sailing dates. Nine or ten days in Alaska followed by a cruise to Vancouver (then bus or train to Seattle) would be a great itinerary; look at www.cruisecritic.com for lost of advice.

dfrostnh May 1st, 2003 03:46 AM

Another option would be to fly from Anchorage to Skagway and then take the Alaska Ferry to Bellingham, WA. I think there is public transportation between Bellingham and Seattle. The ferry trip is 4 days and while a bit spartan, is a great way to travel. You could choose to spend more time in each port, the website gives a description of each.

KEC May 1st, 2003 04:51 AM

Gardyloo and dfrostnh~
Thanks so much for the replies. I am going to look into both options (cruise and ferry).

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

BudgetQueen May 7th, 2003 06:28 AM

I too would suggest a land tour, then cruise back to Vancouver, forget about 1/2 your time in Seattle, make the most of the costly location - Alaska, Seattle is easy to get cheap round trip flights for another trip. :) I would allow 8-10 days for interior. A necessary reference is THE MILEPOST, try your library. A usual trips allows a couple days at Denali park, Fairbanks, Anchorage, and perhaps overnight in Seward for day touring there. Consider a loop trip to Valdez and a ferry back to Whittier.

Retired_teacher May 7th, 2003 02:10 PM

For more information about cruises go to cruisemates.com (cruise lines and ship reviews) and vacationstogo.com (bargin cruises) Happy sailing!

ltt May 8th, 2003 06:30 AM

vote for #2 option