Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

14 days to spend on The Big Island, Maui, and Kauai

Feb 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses to my question of how to find a condo. We are in the process and will check our prospects before we book.
Frequent flier miles have us flying into Maui on March 10 and out of Maui at night on March 25. We have researched and read your talk and would appreciate more suggestions. We are in our 70's, rv'd a lot, and covered the U.S. in detail. We love nature and abhor crowds. Long scenic drives and less than strenuous walks are a must. National Parks are our favorites. Simple is in and fancy is out. I feel unpatriotic to say this but a trip to Pearl Harbor is not a priority with our limited time. My husband visted Hawaii long ago and was there. We would like to spend our anniversay (Mar.23) in a lush paradise and that sounds like Kauai.
All suggestions would be appreciated. From others I have gathered that price line is good for car rentals and Budget is a good back up. True? And between island flights? Hawaii Air?
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM

marion2,

Do at least take trip to the big island. It is so spectacular and has such a variety of things to see, the volcano, beautiful botanical gardens, spectacular waterfalls, nice beaches. I wasn't expecting there to be so much that was covered with lava. Duh, it's a volcano!!
Feb 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

My dilemma is how many days to spend on each island. What would I see on the Big Island that I would not see on Maui and Kauai?
Feb 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM

If you choose to do 3 islands - Maui, Kauai, and Big Island - for the latter fly in and out of Hilo. See Volcanoes National Park (wow, incredibly unique), various waterfalls and gardens around Hilo, and visit the very warm large swimming pond at Ahalanui Beach (during the week, weekends it's very busy with locals). You might want to check the trip report I just posted.

On Maui I loved Hana, we spent two nights there and the road to Hana is gorgeous. The west side is lovely but very busy and built up. We had a nice condo at Polo Beach in the Wailea area that worked well for us, but then again we had two teens with us. Sorry, it's been so long since we visited Kauai I can't help you there.

Tourism is way down, I'm sure you can get some good rates on home/condo rentals. Probably hotels too. Happy anniversary!

Feb 4th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Kal

No. Shore Kauai.
Feb 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM

I recommend spending no less than a week on any given island---otherwise you will feel too rushed and not have time to see all the major sights as well as have relaxed time. For maximum lushness,Kauai is the place. Maui has a lot to see and is great fun.
Don't forget to get the books "Maui Revealed" and the "Ultimate Guide to Kauai". They will answer every possible question you will have---much more than you can gain on the internet. Have fun!
Feb 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

To Rick and Pat: Thanks for the trip report. Volcano Natl. Park sounds great. We are hoping to do that as a one day side trip from Maui. Is that doable?
To Kal: I guess I am too old to understand your response. Please translate.
To Monterybob: I will get the books you suggested. Thanks.
To anyone out there: Taking the advice of the majority, we are planning on spending one week in Maui and one week in Kauai with a day trip to Volcano Natl. Park. What's you take on that?
Feb 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM

aloha marion2,

Kal was giving thumbs up for the north shore of Kauai. Do you have your condos lined up? I have a few recs for Princeville & Hanalei Kauai if you're looking. If so, let us know what your desires are for a condo... pool, 1 BR, oceanfront, etc.

Sounds like Maui/Kauai is a good choice. VNP will be quite a day trip. I'm not sure that I would pack that into your itinerary... lots of travel for one day. Can you get back to Hawaii in the future and do a longer stay on the BI?

Food for thought.

I like to use hotwire.com for best car pricing after searching out Budget or the others.

I have a trip report from a few years ago for our time on Kauai... might give some helpful info regarding places to see. Scroll down toward the bottom of the thread for the report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34669307

Keep the questions coming... plenty of Hawaii posters out there to answer. It helps if you are specific with your questions.

Happy planning... much aloha!
Feb 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Maiki 1,
Loved your photos but couldn't find the trip report. As I said previously, we are looking to stay out of the tourist crunch. I thought we would be looking for lodging on the north shore of Kauai but I just read in a travel guide that it is very rainy there in March and there would be better weather in the west and south. True?
If the lodging you mentioned comes in the $100 range(give or take)I would be interested to know about it. We are more into the simple but clean than high rise condos and it does not have to be on the water though it would be nice. Since waterfront or water view seems to jack up the price, we are not hooked on that. Could be B&B or room in a house as well as a condo. All help appreciated and will try hotwire.com for car rental.
As to whether this will be our only trip to Hawaii, that is a good possibility. That's why I am afraid that I will be missing a big thing if we don't get to VNP. Should we cut Kauai and Maui short by a day each and go to the BI or just let it go. We have seen an active volcano in Costa Rica but it was just smoke and no lava flow. Opinion?
Feb 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Aloha marion,

The trip report is on the fodors link I gave you about 1/4 down the thread.

As far as the condo, at $100 per nt, it will take some searching, as most condos will run in the range of $150-250 per nt. especially in the south, Poipu area. I'm more familiar with the north shore.

I may not be the best one to ask about adding in the Big Island. It seems a lot of travel, between the airports & flights, dragging around the luggage, the driving on the BI, and then also the adventure trecks once you are in the park.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great thing to see. It just wouldn't be my choice. Others posters may have more positive things to share.

No matter what you choose it sounds like a wonderful trip. Happy planning!
Feb 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM

marion, have you checked vrbo yet?

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...ai/south/poipu

Something like this might work... http://www.vrbo.com/59675
Feb 5th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I don't know what his rates currently are, but you might take a look at this place in Hanalei, Kauai: www.hanaleisurfboardhouse.com

It was a little apartment, very cute and well-appointed and about half a block from the beach on a very quiet road. Simon is a kick in the pants.

From what you have described, you would love the Hanalei area. Hope you can find something.
Feb 6th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Kal

Thx for the translation, mak!

Feb 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Much as I love the BI and Volcanoes NP, maybe it wouldn't be worth all the money and hassle (flying each way, renting yet another car, etc.) for such a short visit. Enjoy Maui and Kauai.
Feb 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Again, thank you all for your time and suggestions. I will check it all out. We have decided to do one week in Maui and one week in Kauai. Hopefully, we will get back to the Big Island some day.
Still open to suggestions for places to stay.
We will be camping for the next 5 days and I will get back to this site as soon as I return and I will make some decisions so I can stop driving us all crazy.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your hanging in there with me. If you are planning a trip to Alaska or Costa Rica let me know and I will be delighted to return the favor.
Mar 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM

I would definitely recommend the Road to Hana. I would also recommend staying in Hana for at least one night. Staying in Hana is like staying in old Hawaii. The waterfalls along the way are not to be missed. The Seven Pools at the end are worth the drive. The small quiet town, is just that. The white sand beach is absolutely beautiful but a little rough. The red sand beach is secluded and sometimes visited by the occasional nudist.(beware)

As for the rest of Maui, it is a hustling bustling place much like Honolulu or any other American city.

Kauai is awesome if you just want to relax and enjoy life. There is a lot to explore by foot, water, air. There is really only one main road that encircles the island. If you are looking for something different try the Guava plantation. They sell everything Guava. Also make certain to see the Fern Grotto. The south side is sunnier than the north. The north is lush and green, mostly due to the rain. Check out Lapperts ice cream. (my favorite is Chocolate Macadamia Nut or Hana Road) There is also a cute soap shop in Koloa town.

As for car rentals, check out: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ They have some of the best rates that I have seen. The site doesn't look as pretty as Travelocity, but they offer better rates with the same national car rental agencies. You don't have to give them your credit card number to book/hold a reservation. We are actually going to be in Kauai around the same time as you (March 10th - 17th), and I booked a Jeep Wrangler for $207 a week with tax from Alamo.com

I hope that this helps. Have fun...It looks like we are bringing the sun with us. (knock on wood)