Reload this Page >

$1200.00 and 3-5 days where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM
me

I am a young, and admittidly, inexperienced traveller. My husband and I would like to take a trip in late Dec. or early January. We love beaches and would prefer somewhere warm. We have travelled oversea's and have no irrational fears about places or modes of transportation. We do not drink or gamble so Las Vegas seems a poor choice though I am aware of the many other attraction that LV offers. Our budget is very small but a small vacation is better than none at all.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Lois

Where are you starting from? That makes a big difference in $$$ and destinations.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
me

sorry about that. I am starting from NY.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Brian

Usually you can get some decent coast to coast air fares (less usually than shorter flights) because LAX and JFK and very busy competitive airports. Maybe a 3-4 night stay in So. California. Lots to do there and it can be done economically.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Betty

I'd go to hotwire.com and try typing in various options to get an idea of the fares....this is a great website that will give you the fares first without obligating yourself. Don't do this on priceline.com or you'll get stuck with that location if your bid is accepted. On priceline.com you must give a credit card etc. before you even find out. Hotwire.com will allow you to play around with different options.
Usually traveling on Tuesday, Wednesday, (maybe Thursday) and Saturdays will give you the lowest fares, also make sure you stay over a Saturday night. Sounds like fun for you!!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:11 AM
xxx

So. California is great, but the weather won't be that good that time of year. That being said, I still love LA and San Diego for eating out, shopping, etc.

You could try to get a hotel and air package to Mexico (several provide this such as American or Apple Vacations). Puerto Vallarta is great and inexpensive (much more old Mexico spirit). Cancun is very Americanized, but has prettier beaches and the crystal clear water (would be a good option if you just wanted to decompress for a few days). Advantage is once you're there, Mexico is pretty inexpensive.

South Beach is another option, but it's expensive and weather tends to be dicey that time of year.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:30 AM
jack

Your preference is for a warmer climate; however have you considered going to Europe? As long as you avoid the Xmas rush, you can often get great prices at that time of year to either London or Paris. It's also the low season and with fewer tourists, should be able to enjoy the city and get reasonably priced accommadations.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:47 AM
me

The big wild card here is airfares. You could always drive down to the Charleston area, but there is no gaurantee it will be warm.

I'd look for good internet airfare deals in Florida. Ft. Lauderdale would be doable.

(airfare - roughly $400 total, lodging for 3 nights - roughly $350).

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:51 AM
lucky

One good night in Vegas and that $1,200 could become $10,000....

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:22 PM
xxx

Jamaica, very inexpensive. Look at Air Jamaica's website for packages.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Ann

Dominican Republic.

My other recommendation is Key West, but it may not be what you're looking for, as there really aren't any decent beaches. But there is lots of sunshine, and it's such a fun place.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Renee

I thought London too (with lots of theatre tickets!) until I saw the warm requirement. I think the best idea for a budget may be an all-inclusive in florida or cancun. Do a search here - you should pull up some good stuff.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:58 PM
traveler

Why not a cruise? You may be able to find a reasonable price to the Caribbean on a cruise during that time. Plus your food and entertainment will be included. No need to pay extra for that. Only Liquor will cost out of pocket.Check out website- Bestpricecruises.com

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is $1200 your budget including air or after you buy your airline tickets? Assuming it is in addition to air fare. Coming out of NY you can get some smoking' deals in the winter months. Check the consolidator like Go-Today to see what might work for you. If you are looking for warmer climes in Europe in the dead of winter you will want to look further South, Italy, Spain or Greece. Someone suggested a cruise and maybe there is something in the Mediterranian. A Carribean cruise might work for you also.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Why bring up a 9 year old post? And why reco europe for warm weather in the coldest winter on record?

Makes no sense!
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Oops, I didn't check the posted date. Hope they had a nice trip. Good catch NY.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM

I am just curious, AS, how did you even find this query?
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Aisleseat,
Did you factor in inflation?
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM

It just popped up on the list of posts about Germany. Blame Foder's. With inflation their trip should be up to about $5000.