12 year old boy in Atlanta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My nephew is coming to Atlanta for a long weekend. He is 12. We do not have children, so I am looking for age-appropriate things to do with him.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Will the Braves be playing in town? Might be fun for him.

Six Flags? And isn't there a big water park there?

Stone Mountain? CNN tour? Do they still have that Cyclarama place with the Battle of Atlanta re-enactment?

There must be plenty of good times in store!

Byrd
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Byrd gave good answers.One of my favorite memories (1971) was of going to Atlanta & visiting my aunt & uncle. We did several of the things that Byrd mentioned.
Why not take him by the Varsity to eat? It is junk food enough to please most kids but still fun to see a piece of Atlanta history. My nieces enjoyed touring the Coca-Cola Museum too.
You should find plenty for a long weekend.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:48 PM
lvk

I topped my previous post entitled "Atlanta, 4th of July, no car"
Lots of people gave me wonderful suggestions abouth things to do with kids in Atlanta. I think you'll find it very helpful.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Between ages 10 and 13 EVERYtime we went to Atlanta (which was alot) my son wanted to go to the Coca Cola museum. There's always a line and kids seem to love it. We go up a couple of times a summer for a Braves game and the stadium tour is great if you like baseball. All my children liked the tram ride to the top of Stone Mountain. CNN is a neat tour, especially if you have him watch it before the tour.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Coca Cola museum, the Varsity (Waddayahave? and maybe Krispy Kreme on Ponce de Leon to watch them come off the line?
My nephew loved the walk UP Stone Mountain and the ride down (on the tram). There's a lot more at Stone Mountain Park now than there was when he was little. The Game Ranch that was there is now out on 78 East. Kids of all ages have enjoyed it, especially the petting zoo.
Will the Fox have a movie night when he is in town? It was always fun to go early for the sing-a-long and following the bouncing ball.
The IMax at Fernbank is great - and I think the big dinosaurs are still there. The old Fernbank (near the elementary school) also had a great observatory show that they enjoyed - and the short nature walk in the park behind.
Be sure to take him to any Brusters - the cotton candy ice cream with Pop Rocks is a big favorite.
And always consider a movie matinee - even though he can see the same movie at home. My nephew loved the control of being able to choose the movie we went to.
You may want to think about heading a bit north towards the mountains and taking a hike to a waterfall in N GA.

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your good ideas. He's come before, and we have done the Braves, Centennial Park, Fernbank (which he loved), movies, and the Cyclorama. This time we will do the laser show at Stone Mountain, and the Coca Cola museum. I would have never thought of the Varsity, which he will enjoy, and the Krispy Kreme converyor belt was actually on my list. Thanks again.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:09 PM

Something new at Stone Mountain Park. I was with a big group for a birthday brunch (all adults) and a couple were describing in detail the interactives show they saw at SMP last week. Along the lines of a Disney/Animal Kingdom show where you feel the wind, water, scurrying animals, etc. that are part of the show. I'll try to find out the specifics if no one else chimes in.

By the way, if you do the walk up the mountain, they used to give you a "certificate" for your efforts at the building at the base of the trail. They didn't advertise it, but if you knew to ask, they'd give you one. Don't know if they still do, but my "kids" got a kick out of their certificate of accmplishments!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:09 PM

Was curious so went ahead and did a search. It's the 4D Theatre at Crossroads and here's the link -
http://www.stonemountainpark.com/new...crossroads.asp
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 12:07 PM

When you visit Stone Mountain, you must purchase a day pass, this ticket will give you admission to all the attractions on site. There is plenty to see and do, even a small waterpark. You can spend the day here, and then chill on the lawn for the fireworks.

The 4D theatre is awesome!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM

It's been more than a decade since we lived in Atlanta, but tubing down the Chattahoochee River was always a great time. Rentals are inexpensive, and you can (could) get cheap bus service back to your car at the various take out points.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Anniemac's post made me think of tubing in the N GA mountains. You didn't say when he was coming, but a day trip up just an hour or so north will give you much cooler weather and lots of options. Hikes at state parks, waterfalls, tubing on the Hooch up there, etc. Just an idea.
Or, has he come and gone already?