12 hours in Miami

Old May 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

12 hours in Miami

My wife and I have a 12 hour layover in Miami and having never been there are looking for some guidance. She originally wanted to drve out to the keys but I was able to convince her we didn't have enough time. We get in at 5 in the morning, and our general plan is to take public transportation down to South Beach and hang out for the morning and early afternoon. We have an international flight, so will want to make sure we get back to the airport with plenty of time.

Do you know how long public transportation takes to get to South Beach? Is it easy to figure out?

Is there something else you would recommend that we check out?

We plan to check on bags so hopefully we will be travelling pretty light for our day-long excursion....
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:22 AM

I wouldn't take public transportation to South Beach from Miami International. All it would be is a city bus and you would spend a lot of time making a trip that normally takes 20 minutes. Take a cab - the rate is fixed. I think its around $30. You could also do the Super Shuttle, but in the end it probably works out to the same amount of money.

You could walk Ocean Drive and/or Lincoln Road, have breakfast and lunch and just hang out.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Do you have time for a 1/2 day bus city tour? This is what I would do. You can find them on-line, ask where they can pick you up, take a taxi to that hotel if they won't pick you up at the airport. We did the bus tour only, not the boat - just our choice.

The flat taxi rate to the southern portion of South Beach is $32 before tips. If you are there, I can recommend this restaurant, below is a part of my report:

On the receipt it’s “La Parilla Liberty” at 609 Washington, but when we walked by it was an Argentinean steakhouse. The best tilapia I ever had, and the Russian salad does not have an overbearing vinegar taste. They sell only one type of wine by glass, the name of it was not familiar, and it turned out to be red wine. I am not a fan of reds, but that wine is exceptional.

There is a circle bus running around the island, 25 cents each ride, forgot what it called, you can google it and see the map, it's clean, runs often like every 10-15'.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM

I looked up the bus map in Miami - bus J goes from the airport to South Beach, $2 a ride, or $5 all-day pass for all buses including South Beach

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/bus.asp
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM

www.miamibeach411.com has bus tours of the city.

Relaxing for a few hours on south beach would also be fun! You can rent chairs for about $20/each or just stroll down the beach

Lincoln Road is fun for food and people watching.

Avoid eating on Ocean Drive. Great scenery, but the food is awful (for the most part).

Also, getting from MIA to South Beach I would recommend a taxi. There is a bus loop right at the airport, but I live here and don't know anyone who uses public transportation (how sad is that)!

Depending on when you're coming, check out Joe's Stone Crab. It's one of the best restaurants in South Beach
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Definetly ONLY use a taxi both ways considering you shall be such short time. It is a flat fare,
fares do not include tip but they include tolls,metered fares on the other hand do not include tolls.
The last time I cheched it was $32 to South Beach, you can double check in information at the Airport.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM

When it is time to go to the airport you can ask any hotel front desk clerkto call a taxi for you.
They will do it gladly.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Take a taxi if you go to south Beach. do NOT take a bus.

Also, you can visit Jungle Island, Vizcaya Palace, Bayside Marketplace, are all fun ways to spend a few hours.