Search

12 hours in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 hours in Atlanta

We have a 12 hour layover en route from Lima to Dublin in August, and were wondering what we could do for those 12 hours (8am to 8pm) - we don't want to spend all that time sitting in the airport. I have done a bit of reading, and thought that we could take Marta into the city and see the Aquarium and perhaps do the CNN tour. Does anyone have any other / better suggestions? I would also appreciate recommendations for where to eat. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Fairhope

Just did the route on Marta from the airport to the Aquarium on Sat. Look for "ground transportation" signs. It's an 18-20 min ride. We did NOT go to the aquarium.
The Marta system http://www.itsmarta.com/ is switching from tokens to a card system. Someone will be at the vending machine to help
Coca Cola Center is right there too.
I think you will need reservations at the aquarium http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

http://www.cobbcvb.com/htmlpgs5enter...aytripent.html

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM

You might have some extra time after the aquarium and cnn tour, so I'd recommend getting back on MARTA and head north to the Art Center stop to visit the High Museum of Art. They just completed an addition to the building. There is also a new restaurant in the Woodruff Art Center which is right next door which you might like to try. Forget about the Coca Cola tour. And yes, you'll want to get reservations for the aquarium.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That's a great help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM

you will need reservations for the acquarim and it is worth it. The CNN tour is interesting but the High Museum is wonderful and there is a great restaurant there the 1720 Room I think where you could have an interesting lunch. All very close to MARTA
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM

The Coke museum--aka World of Coca Cola---is about the worst waste of time in Atlanta. It is just one big advert/merchanding opportunity for coke. I'm waiting for Kleenex to present "Tissue Nation."
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I actually liked the World of Coca Cola. I went there about 15 or so years ago when it was new. Maybe it's changed since then. I loved the room where the soda shoots across the room into your cup. I also liked tasting all the sodas they sell in different countries. I will never forget the drink named Beverly. I don't know what country drinks that but it was just awful. I don't think poison could taste worse.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I agree with you completely, KSWL!! I am not a fan of the World of Coke! Blech.

On the otherhand, I enjoyed the aquarium and I like the High Museum, especially since the expansion. I don't know if the Andrew Wyeth exhibit is still there but it was a good one!

georgiaaquarium.org
www.high.org
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
iceeu2

I'm with kswl and owj on The World of Coke. I could not believe I wasted my good hard earned money on the admission charge. I don't think it was much, but it was too much!

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Looks like we should skip the Coke tour!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Well we were in Atlanta last week and did the CNN tour (which we were extremely impressed with) and the Coke Tour (not wonderful but I enjoyed the tasting of all the various brands they own from around the world). After lunch we went to the Aquarium but it was booked up for the next hour and we didn't have time to wait around. We had a great day though so thanks for all your recommendations!