11 days hiking in alaska in may

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I and my husband are planning an 11 day trip to Alaska May 19-29. We are planning to rent a car and spending the first 2 days in Denali (May 20 -21) and then drive to the Kenai peninsula. We were interested in doing a lot of day hikes and exploring Homer, the Kenai fjords. My questions are:
1.) we want to soak up a lot of scenery and do some hiking and kayaking (although we are novice kayakers) and want to avoid tourists/crowds -where would you go and stay in kenai and what activities would you reccommend in each place. We weren't planning on camping although would consider an overnight backapacking trip.

2.) Also would a Katmai bear trip be worth it in late May?

3.) If we did choose to camp would it still be fairly cold at night and/or muddy from the spring thaw?

4.) Is it worth it to try to go to Chugach national forest or Wrangell-st. elias for an overnight backpacking trip in this time period?

5.)Is Valdez worth a trip or would you see Prince William sound from Whittier - and is the kayaking in Prince William Sound appropriate for kayakers?

Thanks in adavance for all your help!
skrh132
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM

This is very early for a lot of your activities.

I don't know specifically about Katmai, but many river-based bear viewing areas don't get good viewing until the salmon arrive. That's later than May.

You won't have to hike far to end up in snow -- and you won't get far into Denali.

Your best bet at this time of the year would be to make your trip more water based. Kayaking will be fine, but could be chilly. PWS is a great spot for it. Take a tidal pool trek out of Homer and the Caines Head hike in Seward. Visit Halibut Cove or Seldovia, possibly for an overnight. Do the Kenai Fjords long tour.

Stay in Homer or Seward.

Consider the Whitter-Valdez-Anchorage ferry/drive loop. Wrabngell-SE is a long way away, but Chugach is right where you are -- you will be right there. You could try the Russian River campground (it won't be busy with anglers this early) and the trail to the falls MIGHT be OK. Many of established campgrounds have decent gravel pads that drain OK.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM

<Also would a Katmai bear trip be worth it in late May?>
You have to make this decision. What's worthy to me may not be worthy to you. So it is very hard to answer this question. In late May you won't find bears congregating in a large number along streams in Katmai National Park. Wait until the end of June for much better results. In mid-May there are still no frequent day trips to see bears. If they are going to get a few people you would go to see bears on the beach digging for clams. You won't see too many of them. Maybe 8-10 on your day trip. Can you wait until the end of June or later?

If you are used to winter camping you can do it anywhere and anytime. If you don't have winter hiking equipment maybe you should wait until at least mid-June.

We have a friend who goes skiing to Wrangell -St. Elias on July 4th every year. So, I guess it is cold.

Is Valdez worthy to see? The same answer as above.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:17 AM

You ideally need an arrival at Denali Park AFTER June 1, and certainly 5-20 you will barely get past Savage River- mile 16, You need to strongly consider putting Denali Park at the END of your trip.

You do not have enough time for all your stated activies, looks more like a two week trip if you want to include Valdez. Otherwise, I suggest, 2 nights in Homer- don't consider any less, 2 nights in Seward, 2 in Denali Park- IF you turn your routing around. At least 1 night in Anchorage, 2 if you include Flat top mt. hiking etc. and perhaps 1 night Talkeetna. Then travel days. Whittier is just excellent for kayaking, but check directly with venders on conditions that early.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Flat Top Mountain hike is the most popular and often crowded with non-hikers. In addition to Flat Top there are many hiking trails around Anchorage with amazing views.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses. We are still going in May but have modified the trip based on your suggestions. Thanks for your hiking suggestions around Anchorage and in Homer. Are there any other day hikes around Anchorage or within Chugach state park you all liked? Thanks again!