11 Day Northern California Family Trip

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 Day Northern California Family Trip

HI everyone! So happy to be a part of this community! Well, here it goes...can you please help me with my family vacation itinerary? Please tell me if i'm crazy and planning too much and also give recommendations on where to stay (something in the middle price range less than $200 a night) and fun places in those areas. We are a family of 4, my husband and I and our two boys 12 and 14.
Day 1 Tues June 26, 2018; Arrive in San Fran @ 12pm - alcatraz, painted ladies, the famous street and see a baseball game @7pm
Day 2 and 3: Yosemite -The Valley, Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove to see the Giant Sequoias (closed now but will open in spring), Vernal Falls, Taft Point/Sentinel Dome. Want to stay in the park but only find places that i need to bring my sheets for log cabin or camp and don't want to do either.
Day 4 Friday: Lake Tahoe - Emerald Bay, Vikingsholm Trail and maybe castle (if boys let me), Squaw Valley aerial tram, and if time kayak
Day 5 and 6 (the weekend): Lassen Volcanic NP, I'm thinking 2 days just b/c it seems there is a lot to see. Lassen Peak, Bumpass Hell, Sulpher Works, and a waterfall hike.
Day 7 Mon: Go to Mt. Shasta but stop and see Burney Falls along the way. Not sure what hikes to do in Mount Shasta.
Day 8: Redwood National Park any hikes there too?
Day 9 which is 4th of July: Eureka - they will have a parade during the day and fireworks at night, which will be lovely to see. Anything i should do there?
Day 10: Mendocino - not sure what do do there. Maybe staying at Beachcomber Motel?
Day 11: back to San Fran for a midnight flight back home. Wanted to go to Muir woods but i've read a lot of u suggestion not to from other posts. So was thinking Ferry to Sausalito and Fisherman's Wharf.
What does everyone think of the so far? Don't have where to stay yet in any of the places so suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 02:03 PM

>> Arrive in San Fran @ 12pm - alcatraz, painted ladies, the famous street and see a baseball game @7pm
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm dashing out so will post more late tonight -- but you are really trying to cram in too much too far apart. For Yosemite -- book now at Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal . . . then keep trying for a cancellation in the Valley. You will likely be successful but if not, Yosemite View Lodge is the closest/best alternative.

$200 is generous in lots of places on your route, but in both SF and Yosemite $200 is not 'mid range'.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 04:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing you want to drive down the crooked section of Lombard Street. I don't know if they are charging a toll yet
http://hoodline.com/2017/02/sf-may-s...crooked-street
You may find it cheaper to rent a car in downtown San Francisco instead of out at SFO.
Yosemite is much nicer than Lassen IMO.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 04:45 PM

So you arrive in SF at 12 p.m.; airport or hotel? if the former, you won't get to your hotel before 1:30 p.m. If you want to go to Alcatraz you will need reservations for a specific time, and that will burn up all of the afternoon. Maybe you'll get to the game, and I hope that the seats are comfortable enough for the snoozes you will have; not because the game is boring, but because you will have had a strenuous day. And I hope that you will like stadium fare for your dinner.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

@StuDudley was thinking that painted ladies and the famous street would be just a drive by and take a picture experience. So you don't recommend that? We have to go to the game so what do u suggest? We also spend a day back in San Fran before heading home on late flight.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 06:46 PM

The painted ladies like this one : https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/4867256206 have pretty much disappeared from the San Francisco landscape. The colors have sobered up considerably. You still can go to Alamo Park and see the SF skyline behind Victorians.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

@janisj u think its too much? got the itinerary from visitcalifornia.com and they suggested one night in Yosemite and Lassen but doing two days instead and skipping Muir Woods since in a lot of other posts people say its not worth the trouble.
thank you very much in the suggestions in the hotels, will look into that ASAP!
I was just saying under $200 b/c this past summer we did the utah NP and boy was it expensive to stay near the parks! A Quality Inn was that price! But i would much rather stay somewhere less than $150 that is clean, safe and w a hot shower.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

@tomfuller thank you so much for your advice! definitely will look into renting a car downtown. Will look to see if they are charging a toll but do u suggest we just take a pic from the top instead of driving it?
Also, you say Yosemite is better, which I'm sure it is but, do u think we should do 2 days in Lassen? Or can we see all in 1 day?
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

@Michael we arrive at the airport at 12pm. Then i guess go straight to hotel just to drop off our things and get a moving! My family is used to being on the move when we travel b/c as u can see from this itinerary i try to fit in as much as possible.LOL! Also, have 2 active boys who love to eat ball park food and a mom who is used to eating since i pretty much live on a baseball field.

Oh no! thats so sad to hear. When i think of San Fran i picture that in my mind. Thank you for the suggestion will definitely go to Alamo Park and see that!

Any particular hotel you would recommend thats not fancy but in a good area?
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 07:48 PM

I live around the corner from the ballpark so you can come to my place for a nap. Just kidding. The food at the ballpark is not bad but just so you know there’s also decent food in the neighborhood, and you can also take food in if you want. The line at Safeway for sandwiches before games is huge!
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 08:37 PM

I don't think you fully comprehend how difficult driving & parking will be in San Francisco for someone who is on a "tight" schedule, not use to driving in a city on a work day with lots of hills, one way streets. gridlock traffic, and tourists trying for a "drive-by" on Lombard St and Alamo Square (not Park). A "drive by" isn't the way to see Lombard St. You'll need to drive down it, or park & walk up or down it. Parking is difficult, and when we were there last week, there were lines blocks long of cars trying to drive down it, and there were traffic "directors" making sure cars were not stopping at the bottom & top for a "slow" drive by.

Do you know how much tickets for Giants game will cost you? I haven't been to a game in years, but last time I did, I think it cost me around $75. Cost of dogs & other food at the park are higher than what you might find at "home".

>> and they suggested one night in Yosemite
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 11:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the traffic in SF is usually pretty bad plus there is lots of construction so if you arrive at SFO at 12 PM by the time you get to the hotel and check in it will be probably at least 2PM - you most likely will not have time to do Alcatraz before you have to get to AT&T.

You want to drive from Yosemite to Tahoe, stay one night and move on to Lassen. Why bother with Tahoe at all since you won't get there until mid-afternoon and have to leave again first thing in the AM.

Do note -- so far we have not had much snow, but if the snowfall catches up to near normal, the roads in Lassen may not yet be open for the season.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

@sf7307 LOL!! I''ll be there!! J/K So you can bring in food w you to the game?That's awesome!!! You definitely can't do that here in any stadium in Miami!
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

@StuDudly i really am clueless since I have never been. Ok so then maybe we just do Lombard street and head over to the game?

About the cost of the game, my BFF and her family (2 boys, same age) are meeting us there from Pittsburg. Her husband works for the Pirates so we r actually going to the game for free. Otherwise, i would not be going.

OH NO! It says it only takes 3 hrs 6 minutes to get to Yosemite from SF! We were planning on leaving SF as soon as we wake up 7:30am and eat breakfast. Getting to Yosemite around noon-ish. Wish we could do 3 nights but really don't want to not see lake Tahoe b/c realistically don't think i will go back anytime soon.

What do you think about Lassen? 2 days? or should i do 1 and make Yosemite 3?
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 06:45 AM

Mapquest says it is 4 hrs to Yosemite Valley from San Francisco. If you do this on a work day - I would add 1/2 to 1 hr as a buffer. Getting out of the city from the Wharf or Lombard St is a little complicated. Union Square or the foot of Market St/Embarcadero isn't so bad. If you depart SF at 9am you'll get to Yosemite Valley at 2PM. After you check into a hotel, you'll be ready to tour by 3PM. That's rather late in the day to see much - but you'll be there near the longest day of the year. Consider skipping Lassen and Mt Shasta or Redwoods & Mendocino to give yourself more time at Yosemite & Tahoe, and your final area (Mendocino/Mt Shasta). Don't know why you would go to Eureka - except to visit Victorian houses. Note that in late June, Eureka, Mendocino, and Hwy 1 to SF could be socked in with fog.

Return to SF from Mendocino via Hwy 1 & the Golden Gate Bridge - not on 580/Bay Bridge like Mapquest suggests. Forget doing much in SF on that last day from Mendocino. Instead treat yourself to the best views in the Bay Area and also a tour of WWII batteries & bunkers at the Golden Gate National Recreation Area just northwest of the Golden Gate Bridge on Conzelman Ave. See this post of mine for details.
https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...mendations.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Admission - I’ve never been to Lassen. But I have lived in the Bay Area for 45 years (yikes!) and go to Tahoe most every summer and winter. If you just take out the two days in Lassen or Shasta, you can make a much more workable, but still packed, itinerary.

2 days in San Francisco
2 days in Yosemite
2 days in Tahoe
3 days - Tahoe to to Eureka (including either Shasta or Lassen)
1 day driving back from Eureka via Bodega Bay or Point Reyes
Last day San Francisco
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 07:23 AM

When you return to San Francisco from up north, first place you should visit is one of our favorite spots in The City - Ft Point just under the Golden Gate Bridge on the San Francisco side. It's a pre-Civil War fort with multiple levels with fantastic views of the Bay and downtown San Francisco from the roof. It is open of Fri, Sat, & Sundays. Kids will love exploring it.
https://www.nps.gov/fopo/planyourvisit/hours.htm
Then visit Crissy Field. Park the car in one of the lots & walk along the path next to the Bay.

While you are admiring the views of the City through & above the Golden Gate Bridge from Conzelman ave (you'll understand "through" & "above" when you get there) - see if you can spot the tiny Ft Point next to the Bridge footing. It will look quite small from Conzelman, but huge when you are standing next to it. When my wife was training for the Avenue of the Giants marathon in the 70s, she jogged from the foot of the Bay Bridge at the YMCA, along the Embarcadero, through the Wharf, Ft Mason, Marina Green, Crissy field, to Ft Point - and back. Beautiful route (except for the Wharf).

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 07:27 AM

If you want to stay near Eureka - stay in Ferndale instead. Eureka has a lot of very ugly urban sprawl that you'll have to drive through & downtwon is not nearly as exciting as San Francisco (where you plan to spend less than 1 day. Ferndale is thoroughly charming. Kids will love to explore the "old" main street in town.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 08:04 AM

I've only been to Lassen once in the fall and an early snow storm meant that only part of the park was accessible so one day was enough. What I saw was beautiful and I'm very interested in a return visit. It's also a relatively uncrowded national park. I could definitely see spending two days if the road is fully open. However the season is very short and your timing may be early. It just depends on how much snow we end up getting this winter. Here are the past road opening dates https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvis...ing-update.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -