Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > 10K for a vacation? What's the most you've paid.

10K for a vacation? What's the most you've paid.

Jul 16th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Lila

10K for a vacation? What's the most you've paid.

I just heard that someone spend close to 10,000 for there honeymoon vacation in Europe. What's the most you've ever paid for a vacation? I must admit the most I've spent is around $3,000- this includes, airfare, hotel, rental car, spending money for tours & souvenirs plus food. I personally think 10,000 is quite steep for a vacation for two people!! Maybe I'm just more conservative. I know my budget definetly is!!!!

Jul 16th, 2002, 03:53 PM
jan

Just remember, everything's relative. Some people only make $10G/year. Others spend that in a day. It doesn't really matter what other people do. You're not living their lives. Just yours.

Jul 16th, 2002, 03:55 PM
xxx

I can easily see where $10,000 would not be excessive on a honeymoon abroad. Some European cities are very expensive, Business Class airfare would be about $3,500 each, First Class more, and it depends upon how long they are staying.

Jul 16th, 2002, 05:32 PM
John

$19,000 (or so) for two of us for Olympics 2000 trip, incl first class air, event tickets, side trips to Gold Coast and New Zealand.

But that's a pittance compared to some.
Seagoing crewed yachts rent for $5000+ per DAY.

The Necker Island resort in the Caribbean rents for $105,000 per week (unless you have more than 7 in your party, then it maxes out at $36,000 per DAY, or $252,000 per WEEK).

So when you get into the range of being able to spend a quarter million dollars a week on vacations, you're starting to run with the big dogs.

Jul 16th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Max

Including airfair, room and meals and shopping....$1000, a day...hefty yes, but the quality and memory of the vacation timeless. This trip was to Maui for 14 nights including air, the ended up costing that much.......but we could have done the trip for half price so don't be discouraged...you could do it for a 3rd of the price.

Jul 16th, 2002, 05:56 PM
traveller

$5000 for three months in Europe, three years ago. I was in the UK, France and Italy. I slept at hostels, and ate picnic lunches, took advantage of free days at museums and my student ID for discounts on paying days. A good guide book makes all the difference.

Jul 16th, 2002, 06:00 PM
jorge

$2000. airfare for 14 destinations, hotels/hostels .meals, and entertainment for 3 months..

if I spent 10,000 for a honeymoon trip I know for a fact that I'd put on 10 layers of condoms since I wouldn't have much money left too raise any kids..

Jul 16th, 2002, 06:04 PM
sandi

My husband, son and myself spent 2 weeks in Italy (in 2000) and spent about $7k inclu airfare. We didn't stay in really expensive hotels (they ranged from $80.00 a night to about $160.00 a night.

Jul 16th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Name

$25,000 for a 3 week Millennium Cruise around Australia and New Zealand. It was worth every penny.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Pat

Around $7000-$8000 for a 2 week trip to England for our family of four last summer. Airfare was $2700, hotel averaged $150 a night, the rest was meals, entrance fees, tube passes, etc. We saved several years to do it and are now saving madly hoping to go again next summer. Most years we take a much less expensive road trip sort of vacation.

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Rick

$25,000 for South Pacific Honeymoon:
2 nights Hawaii (just a rest stop) 11 nights in Fiji (two different islands), 2 nights in Sydney, 5 nights sailing the Whitsundays and 7 nights in Bali.

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Stephanie P.

The most I have paid is $1,500 total. I would pay up to $2,000 pp for a cruise I am taking in 2003. It's pretty hard to really blow alot on airfare to get to any destination in the U.S. I can go to FL for around $200. Then I usually stay at very clean and maintained family/individual owned property v. big resorts like Marriott/Westin and have just as much fun.

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:10 AM
beachbum

$12,000 for two weeks in French Polynesia in 2000. No, that's not right, it was the $13,000 in 2001 when we took our kids to French Polynesia. Will have to save for some years to do that again.

Can't help but wonder, where does a marriage go after a $25,000 honeymoon?

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Sam

$10,000 taking my family of 8 to Disney World.

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:59 AM
travellyn

$6500+ for me and my husband for 10 days in France last year. The largest part went for a week-long tour of Provence. The 3 days on our own in Paris were cheap ($60 per night for the hotel).

My husband and I are usually pretty frugal, but the France tour was one we had wanted to do for years, and we had over a year to save for it. Normally, we like to keep costs down to allow us to take more frequent trips.

We're leaving tomorrow on a 6 day camping trip that may cost $200 if you factor in new boots for my son. House sitting costs more than some of our vacations. The cheap trips are usually more fun and memorable, but it's nice to have a choice.

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:02 AM
noname

We spent over $12,000 for our honeymoon to Greece (10 days) 6 years ago!

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Julia

Where does a marriage go after a $25,000 honeymoon?
If you're the Trumpster or a well off (retired) Enron exec, and you only spend $25K, I'd say the marriage goes straight from the dumper to the family law attorneys.

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Beth

Normally we don't spend outrageous amounts on vacation. I am queen of getting GREAT internet deals, and supersaver airfares, not to mention we have our credit cards tied to United Mileages Plus program as well as our telephone bill so racking up those miles and cashing them in is our motto for cheap vacations!

Howver, I think of a honeymoon as a once in a lifetime vacation something that should be spent piching pennies. After all theoretically and hopefully you only get married once. We spent about $10,000 on our 7 day honeymmon in the caribean. did one of the Sandals resorts and got full room service, concierge privileges in one of the best suites possible. Only thing we didn't do was fly first class. By the way we are in no way rich. We are just average middle class people. Infact when we got married 4 years ago, I was only one year out of grad school so I had no savings to my name and had a lot of student loan debt! We probably won't spend that much again unless something changes and we suddenly get rich or win the lottery but it is nice to do for your honeymoon. (BTW his parents gave us $20k for a wedding present since they weren't helping to pay wedding costs and that is where we got the money for the trip!)

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Beth

Oops! Thats honeymoons should NOT be spent pinching pennies! Sorry

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Thanksforthememories

One year before the tech melt down, after we'd had a particularly great year, we spent about $50,000 Canadian (that's about $30,000 US) for a trip to our favorite Carribean island for three weeks at a luxury rented villa. Included in this we also treated my brother in law and sister in law for a week including their air and all expenses. It was a wonderfully indulgent once in a lifetime trip.

Search this Thread