10 days San Francisco to San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I NEED A PLAN! I have two kids, ages 12 and 15. We will fly into San Francisco, rent a car and drive to San Diego. (If this is possible.) If this seems like too much we will end in Los Angeles and fly home from there. HELP!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

By the way, I would like to saty at Marriott owned hotels along the way if anyone has comments.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM

How much time will you have? Gender of kids?

We just spent 2 weeks in Northern California with a boy age 11 and a girl age14. So much to do just in San Francisco. Night visit to Alcatraz was a hit with all. Bike over the Golden Gate Bridge and return via ferry. Son loved the Exploritorium. Our daughter enjoyed shopping at new H&M store near Union Square (low price, hip style). Whale watching in Montery was amazing highlight. Point Lobos and Big Sur are unbelievable. Great hiking in Big Sur if you are into that. That's as far south as we got this trip. Have a great time!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Oops - just saw "10 days" part - seems pretty ambitious but doable if you keep moving. We did a loop from SF to Monterey, Big Sur, Yosemite and back to SF in 13 days and still wished for more time.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM

I had to re-read the question, because I thought I wrote it! We are doing same trip in July only starting in San Diego and heading North, flying out of San Jose. Here's our plan: I know its rushed & will likely receive criticism, but here goes. Oh and yes, we are staying in all Marriott properties except @ Yosemite.

2 nights San Diego (Marriott Gaslamp)
1 night Santa Ynez Marriott(Santa
Barbara area.)
1 night Monterey Marriott
Travel to Yosemite for 2 nights (Wawona Hotel)
3 nights San Fran Fisherman's Wharf Marriott
1 night San Jose Marriott (for EARLY AM flight)

Are you using Marriott points or are you an employee?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Collecting Marriott points for a trip to Hawaii possibly next year. I already have enough that I could us in CA but I'm saving them for Hawaii. Not an employee, just a big Carolina Panther fan from VA. Those overnight trip points add up.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Ten days to get from San Francisco to San Diego is a very generous amount of time--friends of ours regularly drove from Sacramento to San Diego in just one day, occasionally with a stopover in Paso Robles.

So...from San Francisco, head south to Santa Cruz (see the nearby redwoods if you want) and then down to Monterey. There you can see the fabulous aquarium and the harbor, with its seals. If you stay in Monterey, the next day you can visit Carmel and take the 17-mile-drive, which always makes me wonder where people get the money to have such incredible houses. The next day go to Point Lobos, a state park with great viewpoints and, with luck, otters playing in the water.

On the following day drive south through the Big Sur and stay, perhaps, in San Luis Obispo. Then head down to the little town of Cambria,

I think that brings us to day 6, which means visiting and staying overnight in Santa Barbara. That leaves you 4 nights to see the Los Angeles basin, possibly Disneyland, and continue the drive to San Diego.

You really will have a wonderful time and not have to hurry.

From
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I am currently looking into a similar trip. 14 days.. I was planning to fly to SF and drove back to San Diego and then back to LA for flight back. However, I think I will check if I can fly back from San Diego instead.

I have 3 teenagers.. 12, 13 and 15. So, I am eager with all your inputs!