10 days portland to san Fran

Old Feb 25th, 2021, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days portland to san Fran

My husband and I will have 10 days to drive the coast from Portland to San Fransisco the first 2 weeks of June. We are interested in sights, will like to see Redwoods, not interested in the wine country. Would prefer to spend 2-3 nights in given location. Would like to get lodging booked and then work out more details but don't know where to start. Suggestions? Towns and/or lodging? Would greatly appreciate an assistance.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am literally walking out the door so more later . . . But briefly with 10 full days from Portland I'd be looking at 3-ish nights on the mid to southern Oregon coast, 1 night in the very northern corner of CA (like near Trinidad-ish), 2 nights In Ferndale, 3 nights in the general Ft Bragg/Mendocino area and finish with one night on the Sonoma or Marin coast (Jenner/Bodega Bay/Point Reyes)
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you intend to return to Portland or is this a one way trip with a rental car? For the central Oregon coast, I would suggest Newport and see the Oregon Coast Aquarium. On the way down US101, make a stop at the Tillamook cheese factory. They have improved their visitor center. They have great cheese and ice cream.
If you want a good walk among some Coast Redwoods, stop at the "Trees of Mystery" in northern California. They have a chairlift that takes you up to a platform high on the mountain.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 08:51 AM

We stayed at the Emerald Forest Cabins in Trinidad for a few nights, and loved it. DH wasn't sure if he would like it, as the pictures looked rather rustic, but he didn't want to leave. Our cabin was right in a grove of redwoods. The interior was knotty pine, and yes, they had TV. I'd give it at least 2 nights. https://www.emeraldforestcabins.com/
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Re the Trees of Mystery . . . it is a commercial attraction and certainly fun if you want a sort of 1950/60's-ish nostalgia. But the many State parks have more and better trees. The National Parks too of course but the CA State Parks have the best bits. Do allot about half a day for the Avenue of the Giants.

For a place to stay in the Ft Bragg/Mendocino area check out the Little River Inn https://www.littleriverinn.com

For a special treat inland on 101and south of the Avenue of the Giants before heading out to Mendocino consider the Benbow -- sort of an 18th century English coaching inn https://benbowinn.com

And in Ferndale I highly recommend the Gingerbread Mansion https://gingerbread-mansion.com
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Re the Trees of Mystery . . . it is a commercial attraction and certainly fun if you want a sort of 1950/60's-ish nostalgia. But the many State parks have more and better trees. The National Parks too of course but the CA State Parks have the best bits. Do allot about half a day for the Avenue of the Giants.

For a place to stay in the Ft Bragg/Mendocino area check out the Little River Inn https://www.littleriverinn.com

For a special treat inland on 101and south of the Avenue of the Giants before heading out to Mendocino consider the Benbow -- sort of an 18th century English coaching inn https://benbowinn.com

And in Ferndale I highly recommend the Gingerbread Mansion https://gingerbread-mansion.com
To add to janisj's great advice: We went through the Trees of Mystery and enjoyed it tremendously for the wood statuary carvings. There is good signage identifying plants, nice trails to the top and a tram ride down. In the gift shop, we picked up a number of items for our new grandson that he enjoys.

Highly, highly recommend Little River Inn. Stay there if you can and eat there, too. We had a king room that looked out over the ocean, although not one of their fancier offerings. It was spacious, comfortable, opened onto the deck and incredible view. No added charge for the seagull beggar. We also stayed at the Benbow - very nice and beautifully landscaped (our room opened out onto a little garden courtyard). The food was good but not quite equal to Little River Inn. DH preferred Little River Inn. Both of these were Janisj's recommendation (Thanks!).

We spent an entire day in Avenue of the Giants. There are some lovely short hike/walks you can take, check your park map; they are right along the road. We spent another day and a half in other areas of the park(s), plus a few hours in Ferndale. If I were to return, I'd allocate more time in Ferndale. We did find a really interesting old graveyard there, it's worth visiting while you are in town.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Tomfuller This will be a one way trip, rental car from Portland and flying out of Oakland. Historically we were tent campers who just enjoyed hiking and nature. We are now getting older and health issues are now pushing into a new type of vacation. We will enjoy the car rides, shorter walks, and slower pace. I really appreciate these tips.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:25 PM

You might want to take a look at my trip report about a short week that we spent last fall on the northern California coast; click on my name to find it. It might provide some suggestions of what to see and where to establish a base.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You might want to take a look at my trip report about a short week that we spent last fall on the northern California coast; click on my name to find it. It might provide some suggestions of what to see and where to establish a base.
Thank you! I will check it out.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Quick question(s) - how long will you have been in Portland before starting the drive, and how familiar are you with the Portland area?

The reasons for asking are twofold. First, in early June the odds are pretty high that you'll encounter what Californians call "June gloom" along the coastline, pretty much all the way from the Oregon state line to the SF Bay Area (actually, the whole Pacific coastline from Canada to LA.) This can mean overcast days, sometimes foggy, but with (typically) the murk thinning by very late afternoon or early evening - or not. Now this isn't a given, and with climate change who knows what passes for "normal" these days, but I'd estimate the odds to be 50-50 most of the time. Now, while the coast is still very enjoyable, it raises the question about too much of an okay thing, if you get my meaning.

Second, and the reason for asking about how long you'd have in the Portland area, is that by comparison, June is a fantastic time to explore the Columbia River Gorge and the area around Hood River, the Hood River Valley, and the parts of the Gorge that lie just to the east of Hood River. In the Gorge itself, the numerous waterfalls are in full flow from spring runoff, the orchards and vineyards in the Hood River Valley are leafing out and full of early wildflowers, and they're still skiing on the side of Mount Hood, although the roads are all open. Farther east, the Maryhill Museum is open with its collection of fine arts (Rodin in the sagebrush) as well as Native American arts and the wonderful, weird collection of miniature Parisian fashion mannequins from 1946. Or you can visit the nearby copy of Stonehenge sitting on the clifftops overlooking the great river.

You could even start your southern drive with a short and very scenic detour through north-central Oregon and a visit to Smith Rock State Park, a marvelous bit of "old west" scenery, before heading out to the coast. It's just my opinion (but widely shared) that the southernmost 60 or 70 miles of the Oregon coast are the most scenic, so you could do something of a minor zigzag before continuing south on the coast: https://goo.gl/maps/hdd79Hs5y6EvdxFw9

Now if you want to stick on the coast altogether, then I'd probably start with a drive along the north shore of the Columbia out to Cape Disappointment at the (awesome) mouth of the Columbia, then south via Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park, thusly: https://goo.gl/maps/bHFRdWnEKNbMrPRQ7

Just some thoughts.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 10:09 AM

Take a short detour of 5-6 miles east of Reedsport on OR 38 to see the Dean's Creek Elk Viewing area. I have seen as many as 20 Roosevelt Elk grazing 100 to 200 yards away. You might want to take a walk on the Oregon Dunes NRA.
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all for the suggestions. We are changing up our plans to see the Colombia River Gorge. Recommended Hotels?
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by vobo1964 View Post
I thank you all for the suggestions. We are changing up our plans to see the Colombia River Gorge. Recommended Hotels?
If you are not gong all the way to San Francisco, you can easily spend 10 days in Oregon and western Washington. For the Columbia River Gorge, go east on I-84 from PDX. Make a stop to see Multnomah Falls. There is a parking lot in the median (left exit). There is a walking tunnel under the eastbound lanes to get over closer to the falls.
There are a couple of good hotels in the town of Hood River. Hood River is known worldwide for kite surfing. You may see dozens out on the Columbia River if the weather is nice.
After your time in Hood River, head south on OR Rt. 35 on the east side of Mt. Hood to get to US 26. It's your choice from there whether you want to go east to the Oregon High Desert and Bend or go west to US 101 and visit the Oregon coast.