10 days in HI-Oahu & Maui honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fi and I may have finally decided on a honeymoon spot: Hawaii! We'll have 10 days to spend (including travel, unfortunately). We'll land in Honolulu on Monday and I thought we could spend 2-3 days on Oahu. We'd like to see Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach, hike up Diamond Head and the Polynesian Culture Center. Then we're thinking to visit Maui for the other 5 or 6 days. On Maui we'd like to take the Hana drive (though I learned from this board that part of it is closed off from an earthquake? How unfortunate!), bike down Haleakala, try snorkeling and kayaking and maybe parasailing?! Any thoughts on this--too ambitious? Any other auggestions of things to see or do along these lines? Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Your itinerary sounds good. I think you will love the relaxation of Maui, and I would make sure to take the time to do just that. Maui has beautiful water and scenery.
Waikiki is fine, but it's just another big city. Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and the Polynesian Cultural Center are all worth a visit. The North Shore, where the Polynesian Cultural Center is located is a beautiful area. You may want to devote a day or two up in that area.
While on Maui, you may want to take in a luau. We went to the Old Lahaina Luau, and it was wonderful.
Have a wonderful wedding, honeymoon and most important--a wonderful life together.
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM

If you have 10 nights, you could do 4 nights on Oahu and 6 on Maui.
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM

When I was in Maui, I went to a local beach and I snorkeled with a Hawaiin lady and her children. She pointed out the local colorful fish to me.
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Congrats! You'll have a wonderful time

We went to Oahu and Maui for our honeymoon, spending five nights on each island and loved everything!

Here's what I'd suggest:

3 days in Oahu: Definately go to Pearl Harbor and hike Diamond Head. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay and drive around to the North Shore. Stay in Waikiki and check out the nightlife.

5 days in Maui: Watching the sunrise from Haleakala was my favorite! Go to a luau. Walk around Lahaina. Depending on when you'll be there you could check out a whale watching cruise as well. And don't forget to just relax! The beaches are wonderful and so peaceful.

Have fun
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Because I love Honolulu/Waikiki (I will kindly disagree one more time that it is not "just another big city"), I would split the trip 5 days and 5 days. If you're taking the time to go out to PCC I would make a day of it heading up to the North Shore as well. Oahu is incredibly diverse and I think deserves equal time to Maui.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:48 AM
tmt

What time of year are you going?

That could help you decide how to time to spend and in which areas of the island. I'm thinking ...north shore Oahu in the "winter" for surf contests, vs. "summer" for snorkeling at Sharks cove (no swimming with Sharks fortunately).
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help! Sorry, I should have mentioned it will be the last 2 weeks of October. I'm not a tropical/beach person (cursed with fair skin) but the more I hear and read about Hawaii the more excited I get! Should we try booking everything ourselves or go through a travel agent? I'm typically one to do it all myself (with experience: a week in DC, 5 days in New Orleans, 10 days in London, 2 weeks in Ireland) but for this one maybe I should hand over the reigns? Do they really help that much if something goes wrong on your trip?
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM

If you have time to do the research yourself, then I would not use a travel agent. For our honeymoon to Maui, we used AA Vacations. It worked out well because we were going to split our time, 1 week at the Hyatt and 1 week at the Sheraton. We found out our first week there that the pool at the Sheraton was closed for construction. We called aavacations and they extended our stay at the Hyatt to 2 weeks, free of charge. Buy the insurance they offer. It is inexpensive and gives you peace of mind. We are returning this Christmas and using aavacations for our hotel only. The cost is about the same versus buying directly through the hotel. It is also cheaper than orbitz or travelocity.

When my parents went they spent 2 days on Oahu and the rest on Maui. That worked out great for them.

By the way, I also have very fair skin. Just use lots of sunscreen and reapply ofen. Always wear a hat! I was so proud to go home with no sun burn at all!
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Hi chemgirl-

I am off to Maui in four more weeks for my third trip! You will love it!

I would also add in that you might want to spend some time upcountry; with your fair skin- the cool mountains and shade might be right up your alley. If you like the outdoors, there are are some gorgeous hikes and beautiful flora in this area.

We stay in Paia on the northshore in a vacation cottage. We like the sort of new age/organic/ ambiance there, away from the big resorts and crowds. I know everyone is looking for their own idea of paradise, and low-key privacy with a view is mine.

I agree that you can plan it yourself easily. There is so much info here on Fodors and on the web in general. My favorite guidebook is from the Moon Guides series. I thought it was the best for more outdoorsy, do it yourself type adventures.

Good luck!
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Ag3046

BlueSwimmer- do you have any places to recommend staying in Paia? I've had my eye on that region for a while, but not sure where to being looking. Thanks

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ag3046

chemgirl- just because you are fair, you don't have to avoid the beaches. And Maui, especially is all about the beaches, and the snorkeling, and just enjoying that warm tropical water. I would say 3 days on Oahu, then the rest on Maui. Look into sun-protective clothing like the surfers wear (rash guards is the name that they use). Coolibar sells some on-line www.coolibar.com. There are also very cute ones by Billabong, Dakine, etc that you can find by googling womens rashguards. Don't forget to get some rashguard-type shorts too to avoid those burned backs of legs after too much time snorkeling without sun protection. Just because you are fair does not mean you have to avoid sun exposure or beaches.

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM

chemgirl - I have to agree with Suze - Honolulu is SO much more than just a big city! If it were me, I would also split the time in half between the two islands. While on Oahu be sure to rent a car and get out of town - drive up to North Shore, you could have lunch in Haleiwa or get some yummy shrimp from one of the trucks you'll see on the way. One "must do" if you're up there is a shave ice (with azuki beans and ice cream at the bottom) from Matsumoto's. Drive around to Kailua, Waimanalo and/or Lanikai beaches - some of the most gorgeous (and un-crowded) beaches in the world.

Congratulations on your wedding and for choosing the ultimate honeymoon destination - I know you won't be disappointed.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Hi Ag-

We rent a cottage called Maui by the Sea. It is really an apartment over the garage of a really nice couple. This description makes it sound tacky, but it is actually adorable and perfect for two people.

We like to be independent and pretend we are living somewhere, so we love feeling like we have a home when we stay in Paia. (We are not the resort types at all, so luxury, restaurants, a glamorous pool, etc are not what we look for, not that there is anything wrong with that- just not our style.)

Anyway, the lanai looks over the owners' one story house, giving you a gorgeous ocean view (with a roof at the bottom of your sight line, but still gorgeous! ) The property is on a small cliff, so there is a no beach, but we like to drive all over the island exploring different beaches, so that is fine with us. We do often walk a minute down the road to a tiny neighborhood beach in the late afternoons for a quick swim.

They have a Weber gas grill so we stop at Nagata Market in Paia for fresh fish, then at Mana foods for amazing local produce, and cook at home every night, eating on our lanai looking at the stars and the waves (and saving money while eating very well!)

We first found them through a vacation rental company called donnachameleon.com. Donna was great to work with, and has some other really funky properties upcountry that I have my eye on. The Maui by the Sea people are still on her website, but also have their own site, so you can rent from them directly. Just google the name. They are lovely people and know how to be friendly but leave you in peace.

We love Paia and were devastated to hear that the Sand Bar and Grill is gone. I still dream of their ahi spring rolls with the best dipping sauce in the world (thank goodness we wheedled the recipe out of the chef last time we were there!)

Hope this helps, Ag! Don't tell too many people the secret so that Paia doesn't change with too many visitors
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Chem Girl: Just booked my trip for September with similar itinerary. And I'm a bargain hunter even with travel. If you'd like some help, I'd be happy to!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:13 PM

There is more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

With 10 days, spend at least 1/2 of them on Oahu.

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:05 AM

We returned from a 10 day first anniversary trip to Hawaii in May. We had about 3 days in Oahu and the rest on Maui.

We visited Honolulu to see some friends. This was actually my first trip to Hawaii and when I saw Honoloulou I nearly cried...I thought that I had flow 12+ hours to spend time in "just another big city." That being said, we did enjoy Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl National Cemetary. But, we were very ready to go to Maui when the time came.

We absolutely LOVED Maui and would most definitely consider another visit. We have a friend who owns a condo in the Kaanapali Villas. I would highly recommend this facility! We drove to many surrounding areas from this location and never felt like we spent too much time in the car. (I would recommend the splurge for the convertible - it completes the Hawaiian experience!)

For a bike ride down Haleakala I recommend the sunrise ride with the Haleakala Bike Company. You will have to drive yourself to their store - about 50 minutes from the above mentioned condo. I recommend doing this the first morning after you arrive on Maui...that way you get to bed a bit early since you will need to be up quite early. Pack long pants and a sweatshirt...I was still cold wearing this AND the provided wind gear! However, the sunrise is incredible!

I recommended this bike company for several reasons...their service is incredible, and you can ride down completely at your own pace and not "nose to tail" like most/many of the other companies. Additionally, they were the best priced. You are responsible for the cost of your own breakfast, but they recommend a fantastic place on the ride down...somehow I can't help but imagine it's better than the provided breakfasts from other companies! Finally, I had some friends that elected one of the other companies that picks you up at your hotel, drives you to the top and then you ride down as a group...well their pick-up van arrived so late they were told that they would not reach the mountain before sunrise...they elected to go back to bed. How sad!

If you are looking for a fabulous dinner on Maui - for that one special dinner - we highly recommend the Plantation Inn Restaurant at the Plantation Golf Course. It's about 20 min from the condo and has exceptional service and cusine for what we deemed a very reasonable price for the quality! Make reservations to sit at the window at sunset - the view completes the experience!

Best of luck in you vactation planning!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Almost forgot...I'm very fair skinned too but we made a point to lather on the SPF 30 every moring before we went out. I only got the slightest sunburn on my shoulders on the way home from our sunrise ride down Haleakala. I'd forgotten to put suntan lotion on that morning since I had dressed in warm clothes. Otherwise the SPF 30 did the trick - no burns!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I recommend getting out of the city on Oahu. It's a big city, with lots of stand still traffic, and you won't see the best parts of the island if you stay only in Waikiki. We took the Circle Island Tour with enoa tours. It took all day, but we saw the most beautiful parts of the island and some very unique places. Well worth the time and money. They pick you up and drop you off at your hotel.