New York neighborhood suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am going on a girls trip with my friend to NYC on Nov 20-23. We have both been a few times. This time we would like to stay in a neighborhood that has lots of boutiques if that is possible. I would say our budget per night is up to $400.

I suggested the Waldorf Asoria because it is so iconic. The price range is good. I am just not sure how the neighborhood is. What's around it?

Is Grenich Village somewhere to stay? We would like either an iconic hotel or hip/modern. We are females in our early 40's.

We are planning to see Kinky Boots and plan to make dinner reservations at 2 of these 3 restaurants. The Nomad, Beauty and Essex, or Balthazar. We would also go to a nice lounge. We would not mind spending one night bar hopping. Is there and good area for that?

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM

Any of the Kimpton Hotels would be great. Love Kimpton. Great boutique hotels. Join the free Loyalty program for great perks:
https://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutique-hotels-in-nyc

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/karma-rewards/overview
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 03:46 PM

For lounges or bars have a look at the web site of TimeOut New York. It will list all of the options, who is performing where, atmosphere and cost, rules for admittance, hours, etc.

For Kinky Boots I hope you have tickets - if not, get them now.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want boutiques/shopping you should stay in Soho near Broadway/Houston St. or Madison Ave/60-80Sts.

I haven't been in Balthazar in 10 years. My mother always hated it, but the bakery next door is great.

Crunchy, who posts here, raves about Nomad.

I really like Ardesia wine bar in Hell's Kitchen..so if you are in the vicinity check it out.

Lots of bars in the LES around Orchard & Stanton Sts.

Thin
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 06:40 PM

I'm with Thin and his Mom. Balthazar the restaurant is filled with tourists watching tourists hoping one is Bobby De Niro but the bakery while curiously small, makes wonderful breads and pastries.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 06:24 AM

I wouldn't stay at the Waldorf Astoria -- it's in Midtown East, which is mostly office buildings and commuters, not a ton of food or shopping (though there are a few interesting stores on Park Avenue and you'll be within walking distance of Madison Avenue boutiques and Fifth Avenue).

Agree about Balthazar -- too touristy, food not that great, but the bakery is worth stopping by.