10 days in Bar Harbor/Acadia, Quebec City-Help Appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After checking the many posts relating to these area, we still have some questions and would appreciate any input.

In late September-early October, we're planning to spend 10 days on the northern coast of Maine, then traveling on to Quebec City, and returning to the US via the most scenic route. At this point, we're deciding between a non-stop flight into Boston, or, for a higher fare, flying into Bangor, having to change planes and spend more time in travel. We're hoping that traveling Sept. 28-Oct.9 we'll have a good chance of enjoying fall color. We want to spend a few days in Bar Harbor/Acadia to enjoy scenery as well as good seafood. From there, we'd like to experience a bit of the St. Lawrence Seaway, and travel on to Quebec City, returning to the US via the most scenic route. If we do fly into Boston, we'd like to have a day to enjoy the city, even though we've been there a couple of times.

Thanks to all for any suggestions as to itinerary, best routes, and favorite stopping areas, etc.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Quebec City is fabulous. We usually stay at the Chateau Frontenac but always within the walls.
You can walk to almost everything. We do like to drive to a nearby island- (approx 20 minutes to the best of my recollection) Ile d'Orleans which brings us back to simpler times. There is a great boulangerie where you can sit on the porch with a cappuccino and pastry, numerous farms, etc. We stop at farm stands and return with enough jelly to last until the next trip.
We live in Connecticut and have driven several routes. The trip through Vermont, particularly in the late summer/fall is beautiful and no traffic.
Maine is also a beautiful place to visit. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM
yk

I guess it depends on how much more the air fare is.

Even though the flight to Boston is shorter due to it being non-stop, you have to account for the extra time it'll take for you to drive from Boston to Bar Harbor (at least 6 hrs each way). Also, consider the cost of renting a car in Boston vs in Bangor. And consider the extra costs of gasoline you'd need between Boston & Bangor.

I'd say, if you can afford it, fly into Bangor so you can start your vacation right away. If you fly into Boston, you'll end up spending 2-3 days out of your 10-day vacation just to get to and from your destination.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Good points about flying into Bangor over Boston. That helps our planning. Thanks, yk!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 05:30 AM

When you are in Acadia National Park, I recommend having dinner at Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard, on Mt. Desert Island. Have you made reservations for lodging yet? If not, I recommend Inn at Southwest Harbor; SH is quieter & less crowded/touristy than Bar Harbor. We also enjoyed Northwest Harbor. If you have the time, I recommend driving to the Schoodic Peninsula. It is much less developed & the coastal/rocky scenery is spectacular.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

We have some helpful guidebooks for the Bar Harbor/Acadia areas. The suggestions of dinner at Thurston's Lobster Pound, and the trip to the Schoodic Penisula support what we have read. Thanks to Kwoo.

We're finding it more challenging to find good information about itinerary/routes between the US and Quebec, not just from maps, but knowing which areas are more scenic and interesting, having nice lodging, restaurants, etc. We do plan to do some exploration of areas outside of Quebec City. Additionally, we were considering the possibility of returning to the US through the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and wondering if that would require too much additional driving time for our return flight out of Bangor. We have a total of 11 days, including travel, for this trip. It seems to be shaping up with 3 nights in Bar Harbor, 4 nights in Quebec and vicinity, and about 3 nights in the White Mountains, including travel back to the Bangor Airport. Thanks to all for any further input and/or suggestions.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM

One year we did drive from Waterville, Maine to Quebec City. I don't have a map in front of me right now, but I think we took Rt 302. We went through Skowhegan, Maine, it was fairly scenic & remote. I remember seeing lots of logging trucks. Hope this helps somewhat.

Glad you like my suggestion of Thurston's Lobster Pound & Schoodic Peninsula. It's always a nice feeling to help fellow travelers
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM

The most direct route between Quebec City and Bar Harbor (or Bangor) is via US-201/ME-43/US-2/I-95 in Maine and Autoroute 173/73 in Quebec.

If you take the A-173 the entire way in Canada (rather than the A-73, which is more like an Interstate, over the portion it covers) the scenery will be better, but the trip will be slower. You have to take the A-173 between the border and Beauceville, but between Quebec City and Beauceville you can take A-73 or A-173.

In Maine, you could take ME-15 between Jackman and Bangor. Google maps says it is a little longer, but not much. I have only been the US-201 route, so can't comment on this alternative. Actually took US-201 all the way to Skowhegan and picked up US-2 there.

Scenery from Beauceville to Skowhegan is beautiful.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to Kwoo and Cranachin for taking the time to offer these helpful suggestions. As we learn more from the experience of others, we're planning and adjusting our itinerary and routes.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:37 AM

If you do go to or stay in Bangor, I had a really good crab- stuffed lobster at the Muddy Rudder just across the Penobscot River in Brewer. It's a little pricey but well worth it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

dwooddon, thanks for the recommendation of the Muddy Rudder in Bangor.

We're very interested in the Schoodic Peninsula. Is it practical to drive there from Bar Harbor for a day-trip, or would we have to stay overnight in order to have enough time to enjoy it?
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM

Hi Tomarkot,

I am interested in a similar trip would you share your plans - I'm not interested in going to Quebec City.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

In response to foxpalmetto3: If we weren't interested in going to Quebec City, our plans would very different. Instead of flying into Bangor, we'd probably fly into Manchester, NH or Portland, ME. . .enjoy places along the southern coast of ME, and head to the White Mtns. from there. In our case, coming from Quebec, we'll be entering NH from the north. Our style is to book lodging in busy areas, and play it by ear in between. We take info with us as to suggestions for lodging, good restaurants, etc., but just go with the flow day by day. As you note from our posts, it's the area between Maine and Quebec that is more difficult to plan. . .scenic roads, places to overnight, etc. It doesn't seem that you'll have these same issues. You might want to check into past posts for just the Maine Coast and White Mountains.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

In response to foxpalmetto3: If we weren't interested in going to Quebec City, our plans would very different. Instead of flying into Bangor, we'd probably fly into Manchester, NH or Portland, ME. . .enjoy places along the southern coast of ME, and head to the White Mtns. from there. In our case, coming from Quebec, we'll be entering NH from the north. Our style is to book lodging in busy areas, and play it by ear in between. We take info with us as to suggestions for lodging, good restaurants, etc., but just go with the flow day by day. As you note from our posts, it's the area between Maine and Quebec that is more difficult to plan. . .scenic roads, places to overnight, etc. It doesn't seem that you'll have these same issues. You might want to check into past posts for just the Maine Coast and White Mountains.