Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

10 day Road trip to Vermont from Manchester, NH.

Old Jun 24th, 2024, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 10 day road trip to Vermont in August from Manchester. No idea where to go or what to do! We love driving an seeing beautiful mountains and waterfalls. Any suggestions for a nice roadtrip with about 3 different stays? We are older and like to hike but nothing difficult, Just love to explore! We have already been to the White Mountains in NH and done the Auto Road so we don't need to include that in our trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 10:19 AM

Where are you starting from to arrive in VT? Flying into Burlington or driving from some other state? That would be helpful in planning a route and making suggestions. Do you enjoy historical sites or touring historic homes? Art Museums? For example if you have never been to the Shelburne Museum, in Shelburne a suburb of Burlington, that would be my number one recommendation.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

We are not really into museums. We would be flying into Manchester. We really enjoy more outdoor activities but nothing too strenuous. We really do enjoy driving and seeing the landscape and easy hikes and finding waterfalls. We are coming from Florida and are looking for some cooler weather!
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 11:42 AM

I'd suggest looking at these scenic byway descriptions which would give you some good driving routes in different areas of the state
https://vermontvacation.com/things-t...ermont-byways/
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 12:37 PM

There are indeed lovely little towns to visit throughout Vermont as well as the city of Burlington, which is of course situated on Lake Champlain and the Lake itself is beautiful and includes two islands that you can drive to. I would urge you to look at the website for the Shelburne Museum which does of course include an art museum but it is much more than that. Situated on 45 acres, the founder traveled throughout New England in the 50's - 60's securing remaining historic buildings and vehicles and artifacts and situating them spread out on the 45 acres. There is a round barn, a one-room schoolhouse, a steamboat, a lighthouse and so much more. It is a lovely place to walk and there are concerts at night throughout the summer. Can't offer much about Vermont hikes as more familiar with NH, but the town of Stowe is pretty lovely The Trapp Family Lodge located nearby is a resort that was rebuilt following the fire that destroyed the original Alpine Lodge. The Lodge is lovely and offers many activities including hiking and you can of course learn all about the Von Trapp family.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a must see! Thank you. Can you recommend 2-3 areas to stay that would enable us to see a lot without driving for long distances every day? We visited New Hampshire two years ago but only spent three days in the Jackson area. We will be flying in and out of Manchester or possibly Boston.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 01:47 PM

I once lived in southwestern Vermont and I can suggest a nice scenic drive and some things to do in that area.. Take Route 9 from Brattleboro VT to Bennington VT - you could head north from here and do a loop. This is the Molly Stark ByWay and goes over the green mountains with beautiful views and lovely small towns. Bennington has a nice small Bennington Museum next to the church where Robert Frost is buried. They have a nice collection of Grandma Moes paintings. Further north on route 7A is Arlington VT where Norman Rockwell lived and raised his family. The poet Robert Frost lived in Shaftsbury VT and there is a small restored home of his on route 7A. I recommend a visit to Hildane on route 7A in Manchester VT. It was the home of Robert Todd Lincon, son of Abraham and President of the Pulllman RR car company. Lovely home with trails for walking the gardens and enjoying the views, Manchester VT has a wonderful independent book store and lots of stores for shopping and restaurants. Visit the Calvin Coolidge State Historic Park in Plymouth Notch off route 100A. Coolidge was the only president ever sworn into office in a private home. The home and village are preserved and give a wonderful glimpse into what rural small time living was like in vermont. These historic sights are really not so much museums but an opportunity to get a glimpse of the past and most have great opportunities to walk their trails.
Merck Forest and Farmland on route 315 in Rupert VT has wonderful hiking trails with beautiful views.
Enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 02:01 PM

I also recommend the Route 9 drive between Brattleboro and Bennington. Both are nice towns to walk around in to see the shops and have a meal. Yes, there are many historical sites to see in/around Bennington. It's been years since I've stayed overnight in Bennington and so cannot recall the name of the place as in Vermont we are visiting friends who live in Shelburne, so either stay overnight with them or at a Comfort Inn close by to their house.

If you have only spent 3 days in the Jackson area, that is barely seeing NH. If you are flying into Manchester you want to drive straight up and either stop first in the Squam Lake area as a possibility. Lovely lake, it is where On Golden Pond was filmed. You get off the highway at Ashland. For years we rented a condo in the summer for either a week or initially for two weeks in Waterville Valley, which is near to Plymouth and Campton, south of Lincoln. We used this as our base to visit The Flume, Cannon Mountain, Loon Mountain and to drive the Kancamangus highway. Waterville Valley, a ski resort is in the National Forest and there are lots of trails to hike. If you stay in one of the village condominiums, you can canoe on Corcoran Pond. There are shops and restaurants, indoor/outdoor pool at the health club and some of the places have either indoor or outdoor pools. There is also Lake Winnepesaukee, and the town of Meredith. The lake is beautiful and many times we took the Mailboat which delivers mail to residents of various islands as well as to several summer camps. There is summer stock theater in Meredith as well as in Lincoln and further afield up in Bethlehem. There are many trials in the National Forest as well.
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 08:22 PM

Driving to Vermont from Manchester in 10 days. I once had a car like that.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 12:03 AM

Get a DeLorme Atlas and gazeteer for Vermont. It will show the location of all waterfallls and covered bridges. Very detailed road maps including seasonal roads.
should you check out Squam Lake area in NH, the nature cruise with Squam Lakes Science center is wonderful
VT's brochure is wonderful. I think the Warren Store is very you can eat onmthe deck looking over a small waterfall and then walk out back to see a narrow gorge.
Just east of Bristol VT is a swimming hole with a waterfall. We found it when we saw cars parked by the side of the road and later returned with a picnic lunch to watch people jumping off the ledges into the small but deep pool. Downstream the river was shallow enough to walk across but very rocky bottom and I didn't have water shoes.
if you take the ferry across Lake Champlain yo can visit Ausable Chasm. I haven,t been in years but remember enjoying it. Not sure if they still do a raft ride at the end.
Timing could be important. Both Norwich and Brattleboro have wonderful saturday farmers markets with music and enough prepared food vendors that you can get lunch. Or just enjoy some great snacking.
what time do you land at MHT? I suggest I293 north that merges with I93 to Concord. i293 takes you along Merrimack River on west bank with a good view of the old mills. In Concord take exit 13, turn left toward Main Street. Ise gos to turn left onto Pleasant Street. This will take you thru towns of Hopkinton, Contoocook and Warner. At far end of Warner you can get on I89 north to VT. This gives you good access to central VT.

I would stay in Norwich. The Inn is nice and in the evening you can walk across the street to a good restaurant. You can visit St Gaudens in NH and drive over a covered bridge. Visit King Arthur Flour if you are cooks., explore Quechee and Woodstock.

Vermont is so small you,might comsider staying in two places. Near Burlington would be my second choice. Make sure you do the drive starting near Canadian border and the Champlain Islands. Not sure if it's rt 2. It comes out north of Burlington.

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 04:43 AM

You have lots of good suggestions in this thread.

A few others
Shelburne Farms is a 1400 acre "diversified working farm" with a lot of history located on Lake Champlain. It has good walking trails and a number of tours you can take.
https://shelburnefarms.org/
Note this is not part of the Shelburne Museum described well in post #5 (https://shelburnemuseum.org/ )

Ferry trips across Lake Champlain include beautiful views of both the Green Mountains of VT and the Adirondacks in NY state.
https://ferries.com/vt-ny-ferry-routes/
There are also sightseeing cruises out of the harbor in Burlington

Specialty trails like the cheese trail are a good way to see some VT farms
https://vtcheese.com/vermont-cheese-trail-map/
I'd recommend the Plymouth Cheese Factory which is located at the Calvin Coolidge Historic Site , a really lovely unspoiled spot

I agree with sandragoodlife that sites like the Coolidge site, Hildene and the Robert Frost site are good places to visit even if you don't enjoy traditional "museums." Others that I'd recommend include the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller park, the Old Stone House Museum and Historic Village in Brownington and Rokeby in Vergennes. The St Gaudens National Historic Park is right across the Connecticut River in Cornish, NH

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 09:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I support the Route 9 drive from Brattleboro to Bennington. It's not long and very beautiful. Stop at this gift shop and outlook point in Marlboro (not that far after you leave Brattleboro):
https://www.hogbackmountaincountrystore.com/

If you are already in NH, Vermont is right next door and not a large state. You can cover a lot of ground with 10 days.

I agree about getting a good guidebook. I lived in VT and can picture so many fabulous places for short hikes, swim in a stream, lunch along the river, boating on a lake, but for the life of me would not be able to tell you how to get to most of them

Enjoy! LOVE those two states.

Old Jun 28th, 2024, 12:27 PM

I know that you said you don't like museums, but you might consider making an exception to see some of the works in two current Love of Vermont exhibits in Montpelier and manchester, VT this summer
https://www.fortheloveofvermont.org
The collection is owned by Lymon Orton, owner of the famous Vermont Country stores and he says of the exhbits
"I want folks who perhaps have never attended an art exhibit to come and enjoy what they see and read about the art. The best example of this is a comment from last year by a woman who wrote me and said, ‘I had to drag my husband to the see the art show, and then I had to drag him out!’”
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 02:56 AM

Manchester is a good place to stop. The Equinox is where we have stayed and they have interesting stuff to do... last time we were there we did Land Rover driving stuff and some falconry. I think that is a bit more on the ritzy side.
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 01:39 PM

One of our favorite places in Vermont is Middlebury. We're not horse owners, but we loved the University of Vermont (UVM) Morgan Horse Farm there. https://www.uvm.edu/cals/morganhorse...or-information

Old Jul 1st, 2024, 05:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A drive north on Rt 100 is a beautiful drive in VT.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 06:26 AM

Vermont Public just put out this vacation guide to places to visit in the northern part of the state
https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-...-send-20240703
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 12:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And make sure you have a few creemees!