Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 week Hilton Hawaiian Village + 1 week Grand Wailea or 2 weeks Grand Wailea? Please help me decide.

1 week Hilton Hawaiian Village + 1 week Grand Wailea or 2 weeks Grand Wailea? Please help me decide.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I'm going crazy with decisions. Thought I had my mind made up that it would be 2 weeks (or a few days less) in Maui but am getting concerned that I will feel the Grand Wailea rooms will be a let down for the price (I'm very picky - especially when paying $400 - 500+ a night). Thought maybe a week or so at Oahu's Hilton Hawaiian Village would be fun. The corner oceanfront rooms in the Rainbow Tower look great but can't get their rates to come up no matter what dates I put in. Anyone know why? If it matters we would be going in mid May. No kids, just hubby and me that NEVER go on vacation. Please share your thoughts and help me decide!
Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Many people like to stay in 1 place for 2 weeks so there is less packing, unpacking, travel to the next destination, etc. We, however, prefer to break it up and see more things.

On Oahu, why don't you also look into the Halekulani. That's where I'd pick for a Waikiki vacation without kids. If you don't want to stay in Waikiki, try the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I'd split it up. I enjoyed three islands last time I was in Hawaii for two weeks.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:09 PM
MaureenB

We've always split our two weeks between two resorts, sometimes between two islands. That way we get two different perspectives on the island(s). Personally, I get bored with one venue after a week, and am happy to see another aspect of Hawaii for week two.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Oh, and if you do stay at the HHV, everyone says the Ali'i Tower is much nicer than the Rainbow Tower (although we've stayed in the Rainbow tower ourselves).

We like the Outrigger Wakiki on the Beach, ourselves, but we had kids.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Yes, I would split the time also and visit both islands.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Yep, split it up. IMO two weeks is too long in one place. You'll love the Grand Wailea. If you don't mind moving about a little bit more, you could split your week on Oahu up by spending a few nights in the Waikiki area and a few nights on the north shore. Looking at the trip reports posted here, there's a lot more to Oahu than Waikiki...
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:32 AM

My husband and I just got back from Hawaii where we celebrated our anniversary. We stayed on the Big Island at the Fairmont Orchid which was wonderful for 5 nights and then stayed on Maui at the Fairmont Kea Lani for 5 nights. We didn't mind splitting up our time, however, it was our first trip and we tried to see everything. We didn't have much time at the pool/beach - next time we'll spend more time relaxing. We had also considered the Grand Wailea. We walked past it while strolling the path behind all the hotels. We were VERY glad we chose the Kea Lani. The Grand Wailea looked very crowded and had a TON of kids.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Jillian -
No worries...
We were at the Grand Wailea when it was at full capacity and it never felt crowded. The pool is so large that we could go around a corner and not see another person. All of the Wailea resorts are popular with families - especially Kea Lani with it's affordable suites - but I certainly never felt that GW was "overrun" with children. If you search you'll see that almost everyone who chooses one of these lovely resorts states they walked by the others and were so glad they chose the one they did (including me)!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Jillian - I just priced the HHV Rainbow Tower Oceanfront rooms for May 15-22, and they're $464 per night.

The Alii Tower at the Hilton has Oceanview rooms for $496 per night for the same period.

I would definitely go to both islands. Different feel, different perspective, totally different experience.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would definitely see two islands. We went years ago and stayed at the Halekulani in Honolulu and it was lovely. I told my husband that if we came back when the kids were older, we would stay at HH Village because there was so much to do there. We also went to Maui and we stayed at the Stouffers(?) in Wailea, but we walked over and saw the Grand Wailea...Wow...that is a beautiful resort!!! I wouldn't hesitate to stay there!! Enjoy Hawaii. I would love to go back!