Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 or 2 days at Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard in Mid-October?

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my October New England trip and am wondering if I should make a stop at Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard area. I have only one or two days to spare and do not know if it may be too rush? Also, I noticed most of the tourist attractions are closed after 10/15. I won't be able to make it down to Massachusetts until after 10/19. Not sure if I should devote my place to somewhere else?

This will be my first New England trip and since I live in Hawaii, I don't foresee going back any time soon. I would want to see as much as possible and I always want to see Cape Cod.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I wish I knew where you might be coming from. Cape Cod is about 90 - 120 minutes from Boston. There is lots to see all along the way from Falmouth area to Provincetown. Martha's Vineyard is lovely and will give you a flavor for the Cape, but you would need to take a ferry from Falmouth or Woods Hole. It is not a long ride. There are three main towns on the island: Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven, and
Edgartown. Each is unique. In order to experience them all, there is public transportation from town to town. There are also tour busses which greet each ferry and take you around the island, much of it accessible by car or bike only. With just one day available, this might be your best bet rather than trying to see all of the Cape. Both Woods Hole (small) and Falmouth (large) are interesting in of themselves, so after returning or before leaving, you can see either place. Falmouth has a beautiful harbor with a great restaurant, the Flying Bridge, and Woods Hole is home to the Oceanagraphic Institute, WHOI, world famous for ocean research. Some of their buildings are open to the public. A few nice shops and restaurants, as well as an interesting aquarium (free) are other highlights. I need more information about your starting point and what you are interested in.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Massteacher:

It has been a while. Sorry for not responding faster. Was considering a lot of different scenarios. I think I got it down pact.

I will very likely be traveling from Newport, RI on 10/20 and spend two nights (10/20 and 10/21) at the Cape. Debating if I should stay at Hyannis, Yarmouth Port or Falmouth. I think Hyannis may be too commercialized, but it is centrally located with many restaurants. I do want to make a quick day trip to Martha's Vineyard.

This will be my first New England trip. Will be interested in more the New England lifestyle. Not a very active outdoorsy person.

I think by then, it will be too cold to hit the beach?

I am going with my brother and am thinking of staying at a B&B. That can get tricky since there are not too many 2-bed rooms. But I think it will be nice as he has never stayed at one.

Any lodging recommendation?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

By the way, on 10/22, need to leave the Cape early in the morning as my brother needs to catch a 1:35 p.m. flight out of Logan.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:39 PM

I would suggest staying in Falmouth, as it is closer to the bridges and, thus, to Boston. You can also take a ferry from Woods Hole, about 15 m. from Falmouth Center. That trips takes about 45 m. on the ferry. You can also take the Hy-Line Ferry from the Falmouth Harbor area. Falmouth has many beautiful beaches. New England is a "funny" place. The weather can be unseasonably warm at that time or it can be rather cool. It is difficult to know, but you might get to spend some time on the beach.
lThere are wonderful restaurants in Falmouth, as well. One I might recommend is the Flying Bridge, located right on Falmouth Harbor. Falmouth also has a downtown with shops, etc. That will give you a flavor of the Cape, although each town and village is different. I believe enough establishments will be open to make your vacation enjoyable. I am not too familiar with B and B's, especially in that area, but I am sure you can contact the Chamber of Commerce for suggestions or see if Falmouth has a website with more information. Please let me know if I can be
of further assistance. Hope you enjoy! Aloha.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the detailed suggestions. A friend also suggested to me that Provincetown is the place, more fun and character. I do know that it's much farther from Boston. Not sure if it's worth the extra drive, considering there is a flight to catch.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Provincetown IS a fun place, but given your short visitation time, I would postpone that for another trip. PTown is 90 minutes from the bridge--so that makes three extra hours of driving. There is so much to see in the upper Cape area, that you will have more than enough to do.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:27 PM

I just returned from Martha's Vineyard (9/11-9/15) & let me tell you while the area is definately beautiful......the place is dying down FAST!! I would not recommend going there this time of year. My husband & I had the hardest time doing anything past 5 o'clock because most places closed down for the day, what a bummer!! It is beautiful though & would be highly recommended during their peak season (June-August).
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the good info massteacher. I have printed it off for our trip east. We are coming to the Boston area next June for our son's graduation. As it is my husband's 50th birthday two days earlier, we are planning on a week to wander the area in a rental car. Could you please tell me of a great hotel/inn/B & B where we might celebrate the big event. We are from Canada, so nothing too expensive what with our lousy exchange rate.
Would you recommend spending the week at one central hotel, and doing day trips from there. Certainly don't want to pack up daily, so maybe two places would work - one fairly reasonable, and one for 2 nights of festivities and splurging. We want to see the entire peninsula, and plan on seeing both Islands.
Thanks for any help you can give us.
Ciao
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 04:24 AM

blowfish....
You can certainly do all of Cape Cod and the 2 islands from one central place. There are many motels in Yarmouth (rather than Hyannis) that are reasonable. They are not fancy, just basic (The Cape Point in nice). The Hy-Line operates ferry service to both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard from Hyannis and you can do each in a day.
Ferry over, take a bus or van tour, whatever you like, and return. Provincetown is an easy drive in June for a day - do a whalewatch if you have never done one. Chatham (at the elbow of the Cape) is a lovely town to spend a day in - nice beach walks at Morris Island, interesting shops downtown to browse. There are so many things to do and June is usually a lovely month. Do some research so you have an idea of what you want to do. See you round.