Notices

1 nite trip to SF from South Lake Tahoe

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 nite trip to SF from South Lake Tahoe

My family -husband and 2 daughters 19 & 21 are going to be in Lake Tahoe for a week in July and want to take an overnight trip to SF. I have a room at the Hilton
SF booked (free with my Hilton rewards)but am not sure of the choice. How is the location? One post said it was too close to the seedy area around Union Square. I have never been to SF but would like to do something fun with the girls. Any suggestions? It sounds like Fisherman's Wharf is sort of touristy. We love to eat great food so a dinner suggestion would be great. Also, does anyone know how long the drive is from South Lake Tahoe to SF? It looks like it might be slow going? Sorry this is so long.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM

The drive from SLT to SF will depend on what day of the week and what time of day you drive each direction. I would plan on a minimum of 4 hours. With no traffic or stops it could take slightly less than that but I wouldn't plan on less.

The location of the hotel is fine. Union Square is quite close.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are going on a Tuesday and will return back to Tahoe late Wednesday.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
Union Square is not seedy - most of the finest department stores (can you say Nieman Marcus) and hotels are there.

I would not leave Tahoe too early in the a.m. so you avoid the commute traffic around Sacramento, and Fairfield. You don't want to hit Sac until after about 9 a.m.

Where are you staying at the Lake? North shore means you would take hwy 80 and hit the south placer county and north sacramento traffic. South shore and you will have a slower drive down hwy 50 and then hit horrible commute from western El Dorado county all across Sacramento.

And leaving super early to get through Sacramento before the rush hour will only put you in the Bay area right in the middle of that commute mess. So I wouldn't leave Tahoe before about 7:30 or 8 a.m. or perhaps even a bit later.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM

The summer commute is sooooo much different than during the other parts of the year. Not only are fewer people in town but the University traffic is nearly gone. It's what I live for all year. It is quite noticeable and then it's back to swearing at the end of August.

If you left South Lake Tahoe by 7:30 am you'd have a fine weekday drive to SF. Leave SF either before 3:00 pm or after like 7:00 pm. I'd leave late just cause it will be a more relaxed drive. It will stay light until really late in July so you won't be driving in the dark too long.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

We are staying in a home in South Lake Tahoe.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Union square is fine. West of union square is a neighborhood called the Tenderloin, which is seedy, which may be what the other poster was refering to. You might get panhandled at union square, but that is all.