Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   1 month on FL West Coast or in Keys (Feb ‘22) - (no boat) where should we look? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/1-month-on-fl-west-coast-or-in-keys-feb-22-no-boat-where-should-we-look-1696816/)

Weespxx Apr 11th, 2021 01:51 PM

1 month on FL West Coast or in Keys (Feb ‘22) - (no boat) where should we look?

Hi:

Covid taught my husband and me that we can work from anywhere and after a week in Captiva in March, he wants to spend February and maybe part of March down south.

We will be working but would love to rent a cottage in a location where ... it’s on the west coast or the Keys, laid back and with nice people (locals and visitors), warmer than Virginia (probably south of Tampa), where we can bike a lot (even if it’s just to the markets etc), has strong WiFi (so probably not an island), is not surrounded by high-rises and has some creative restaurants within a decent drive. We do not have a boat so don’t need a dock but happy to consider mid-Keys if that seems to be a great location.

Would love to be on the water, but not a must-have ... but I want to be on the coast and not inland (unless there is some amazing Miami that I don;’t know about).

Would love suggestions of places to look and consider!

Thanks so much ...

Jean Apr 11th, 2021 03:45 PM

What is drawing you to consider being on the West Coast in winter? If you have any desire to swim or surf, you'd want/need a wetsuit. Ocean temps in February and March in Southern California average upper 50s/low 60s (F). February can be the rainiest month of the year in Southern California, and average daytime temps in February are probably 10 or more degrees below temps in the Keys. My husband cycles year-round (we live in a SoCal beach town), but he's fairly bundled up in February.... On the upside, February might be the lowest rent month in the short-term market.

janisj Apr 11th, 2021 04:05 PM

To tag on to Jean's post - The West Coast is one loooooong coast. But anywhere along its full length Feb is the rainy season, the water is freezing and the weather can be as cold as any winter month. Not a destination for laying on the beach, etc. So if lazing around a bit, biking, some beach time -- not your place. (If you think north of Tampa is cold, the water in say Santa Barbara or Carmel will shock you)

If you want scenery, wineries, etc -- you could spend a glorious month on the West Coast -- but you wouldn't be in shorts and flip flops :)

Macross Apr 11th, 2021 05:21 PM

I thought you meant the west coast of Florida. I was in the water in Fl several times this winter and never ran the heater once. We live on the coast in central Fl. The keys are warm but I am about to give up biking there. A cottage in Truman annex is so very nice. Many rentals there.

Jean Apr 12th, 2021 06:55 AM

Well, that explains the (W)est (C)oast idea...

Christina Apr 12th, 2021 09:38 AM

They did obviously mean West Coast of FL since they mentioned down south and south of Tampa, although I can see how someone might overlook that.

twina49 Apr 12th, 2021 05:23 PM

Check out Anna Maria Island - it's laid back and beautiful! I've stayed in a Gulf-front condo and at the Queens Gate Resort and loved my time on the island.

pasandy91 Apr 12th, 2021 06:10 PM

I don't tell about AMI because too many people know about it and it is getting TOO crowded......it was the best kept secret.....not anymore.......

SusieQQ Apr 13th, 2021 10:49 AM

If it were me I would go to Key West. No other place has the atmosphere and activities.