COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 evening in Dallas with best friends..need suggestions..

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

My best friend is flying in from Michigan..we have one evening in Dallas/Ft Worth..what are some great things to do specific to Dallas or Ft Worth?
Was thinking of a great place to eat, have a drink, etc.and then not sure for the rest of the evening..No clubs, etc...Suggestions?
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Was thinking either maybe of going and walking around the stockyards. Don't they have little bars, etc to pop in and have a drink? or maybe go to a nice spa in Dallas and get a massage??
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM

In Dallas, the Uptown area and West Village have lots of great restaurants, shopping and low key bars. There is a free trolley, or you can walk around easily. The Crescent Hotel Spa, Bliss Spa, or Riviera Spa are nearby.

I think whether you choose Dallas or Fort Worth depends on the vibe you want. In my biased opinion, Dallas is more urban and trendy, while the Stockyards will be more stereotypical cowboy stuff.

If you want more specific Dallas restaurant recommendations, let us know what type of food and budget you're interested in.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Hanging out in the West Village (McKinney and Lemmon) in Dallas would be fun.
*There's an art house movie theater, Magnolia.
*Great restaurants with bars: Mi Cocina, Taco Diner, TomTom and a great pizza place who's name escapes me (run by guys from Naples).
*Nice boutiques.
*And the Nail Bar to get a mani/pedi.
*Avalon - an Aveda salon for a facial or massage.

OR

Mockingbird Station has about the same set-up. Corner of Mockingbird and I-75.
*Angelika movie theater.
*Restaurants with bars (but I like what's in WV better).
*Across the street is the Palomar Hotel which has Exhale Spa and Trader Vic's. The lobby of the hotel has a hoppin' bar scene at night and an upscale restaurant called Central 214.

Old May 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Another vote for West Village. Ferre and Cru are also nice for drinks and dinner. Its a fun area especially when the weather is nice!

Old May 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Pepper..
What's the dress for this area?? jeans and a nice shirt ok? or dressier?
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Jeans and a cute top are perfect. If its hot you'll see a lot of casual sundresses with sandals too.

The Uptown Tavern is another bar with a good patio that is in the same block as the restaurants Pepper mentioned. Across the street is a hole in the wall called the Loon where there are often Owen Wilson or Dallas Mav sightings.

Old May 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Absolutely - nice jeans and a cute top are all you need in Big D.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM

becky, I'm trying to google uptown tavern but no results. Not sure of the street but is it on the west side of the road past Breadworks? There are several bars there but I've not stopped there yet.

Where is it located exactly??

Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Here it is...Uptown Bar and Grill:
http://www.uptownbarandgrill.com/

I think it's near Routh St. I'm heading to that area now for dinner at Hook, Line and Sinker. I'll try to scope it out.

The places near Breadwinner's are Primos, The Quarter, Republic.
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks Pepper! I'll check it out when I'm in Dallas June 1-3.

Have fun!
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM

This may get confusing....there's a place called Uptown Pub that's in the old Jennivine (restaurant) space which is an original house to the neighborhood. It's in the same block as West Village. Just noticed it today.

And Uptown Bar and Grill - which has been around for a long time (used to be on Fairmont St) is on McKinney just south of Routh next to Urbano. I read something interesting about Urbano...see if I can find it.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007...osts-rock-n-r/
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys..I have been looking up West Village..Looks like a nice upscale area?? Sounds perfect..
Any recommendations of best place to eat there..Was thinking maybe Mi Cocina or Taco Diner?
Also, do you know if the nail bar takes walk-ins? Do you know how far West Village is from DFW airport?
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM

I really really dislike Mi Cocina. Everyone raves about it and we go to one every few years and everyone in the family will be disppointed and we'll say we will never go back, then a few years later, the same thing. I just don't get the appeal.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:20 AM

I don't have much luck at Mi Cocina either, but I always thought it's because I'm mostly vegetarian and they one option for me. They do have a boisterous bar and killer drinks - the Mambo Taxi is popular.

Taco Diner is owned by the same group and their food is probably better and they have more of a patio - ok...chairs and tables on the sidewalk.

TomTom Noodle has another lively scene and their "patio" is the prettiest. It's Asian fusion.

If you want Italian, Ferre is very good - fresh pasta dishes.

The pizza place I was thinking of is called Campagna and is located on McKinney just north of Blackburn. West Village used to be within one block, but it's expanding....

I think Nail Bar does take walk-ins since it seems like that kind of place.

DFW airport is about 30 minutes away. A taxi will be around $50.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Maybe it is the drinks that make people love Mi Cocina. There is a place called Esparzas in Grapevine that has fantastic margaritas and really below average food. People love it; I always think that after a couple of those big margaritas, they don't remember that the food wasn't very good.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so maybe no to Mi Cocina...
Where would you recommend for Tex/Mex or Italian. I don't think we would like the Asian...
Also..is West Village a good place for a Thursday evening in the summer?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM

I don't care for Mi Cocina either. And as far as the best food and atmosphere, I'm very partial to Ferre. More upscale than Taco Diner. Its fine but very casual. Ferre has a great menu and fun cocktail atmosphere.

http://www.ferredallas.com/home.html

BTW, where is the Nail Bar in the Village?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
wug

bnsilly

If you're into vintage clothing, there's an awesome little place in the WV. It's called Ahab Bohen. It's in a little house at 2614 Boll St. When my sister comes in town we always make it a point to go there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO