Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   1/2 day visit to DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/1-2-day-visit-to-dc-579380/)

luv2travel78 Jan 6th, 2006 12:15 PM

1/2 day visit to DC

I will have about 4 - 5 hours to tour Washington DC on an upcoming trip to Baltimore. I realize this isn't much time but it is all I can squeeze in this trip. I will be arriving on Amtrak into Union Station and would like to do a complete circle walking tour to just see the highlights such as The White House, The Capital, The Mall area and some of the high profile monuments. I understand that I won't have the time to go inside these places but will just be able to view the outsides. Is this even possible or would I just be wasting my time? Any suggestions on an itinerary? Thanks!

repete Jan 6th, 2006 12:42 PM

Sure, it's doable. Depending on some crowds, you can even poke your head in a few places.

Union Station is a great starting point. You're a few short blocks from the Capitol, Supreme Court and Library of Congress. You could concentrate -- especially if the weather's bad -- on one or all of these.

From the Capitol, it's an easy downhill stroll to the Mall and a long, but mostly flat walk to the Washington Monument, the WWII, Korea and Vietnam and finally the Lincoln Memorial. When you're near the Washington Monument, the White House is a few blocks off on your right (as you head out from the Capitol) and you could make a quick detour on the Ellipse for a better view.

From the Lincoln, I'd suggest a cab back to Union Station that would give you a little more time to linger, plus it's a long and somewhat uphill walk back to Union Station.

rkkwan Jan 6th, 2006 12:47 PM

Washington's block are pretty long. From the Capitol to Lincoln Memorial is over 2 miles. Add the walk from Union station, it's close to 3 miles. Definitely take a taxi back.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jan 6th, 2006 02:15 PM

I don't usually recommend it, but for your limited time I think the Tourmobile would be very effective for covering the most sites, doing a complete loop & staying on the vehicle, then go back to (or inside) the few things that most interested you.

The Tourmobile sells tickets inside Union Station (towards the back side of the front lobby) and picks up in front of the station.

repete Jan 6th, 2006 02:51 PM

As a point of reference, but not an exact route, I took my 79-year-old mother on a somewhat similar route over the holidays.

--We passed Union Station and went to Metro Center about 10:15 a.m., stopping at the roof of my office, then walking past the White House to WW 2 (lingering there but skipping the Lincoln, VN and Korea.

--We then walked past the Washington Monunment to the Mall, visiting the Indian Museum and having lunch there.

--From there we stopped at the arboretum, walked past the Capitol, stopped by the Library of Congress, walked past the Supreme Court and caught a MARC train back to Kensington -- by 2:20 p.m.

Total time: Just a little over four hours.

It was the way my mom wanted to do it -- not bad for someone who had a quintuple bypass not that many years ago!

luv2travel78 Jan 8th, 2006 09:44 AM

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I am so glad to know that this will be possible. I hope to schedule a longer visit in the future but I couldn't imagine being 30 minutes away without at least getting a glimpse of the DC highlights. Thanks again!

Underhill Jan 8th, 2006 01:45 PM

If you take the Tourmobile you would have time to add Arlington Cemetery to your tour, which is well worth visiting. Don't miss the FDR memorial, which is right along the tidal basin.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jan 8th, 2006 07:45 PM

YOu'll ride around the Tidal Basin, seeing Jefferson Memorial as well.

If you ride the Arlington Cemetary loop, I found Tomb of Unknown Soldier & the Arlington House (pre-Civil War residence of Robert E. Lee family) quite interesting.

CAPH52 Jan 8th, 2006 11:49 PM

Another recommendation for the Tourmobile. My husband and I lived in Washington for four years back in the late 70's/early 80's. I always recommended the Tourmobile to our visitors. And I enjoyed taking it with them when I could. I think it's a great idea for your limited amount of time.