My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 2 Zika Free Travel in February - Need Ideas!
- 3 Feedback on where to go (23 Mar to 8 Apr 2018)
- 4 Travel socks that actually dry the next day?
- 5 Hawaii
- 6 Searching for paradise
- 7 ANC headphones?
- 8 7 Days RV in/out Denver, CO
- 9 Places to visit in Asia?
- 10 Which Things are necessary to have for outdoor trip
- 11 Travel Dilemma - PLEASE HELP
- 12 Travel between Atlanta-Nasville-Kalamazoo
- 13 Honeymoon Destination
- 14 Itinerary Program Advice
- 15 Christmas in south Spain with couple of trips to Morocco
- 16 Southern California Travel Help
- 17 Solo trip in Iceland
- 18 Renewing a child's passport in 24 hours
- 19 4 week travel with teens
- 20 Northern California
- 21 Itinerary Planning Apps
- 22 Scandinavian Countries for 13 days
- 23 Train trip to DC, Chi, SA & BC
- 24 Packing for Safari in Kenya
- 25 Short Notice Solo Travel
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?