Reload this Page >

Yikes that snuck up on me quickly - passport expiring in 2022

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

January, as a matter of fact.

Would you chance making a trip between now and January before submitting for renewal? I am not sure if I would get caught up in the 6 month window (if it is really a thing, I mean).

Nothing currently planned but I'm thinking a possible possibility could be October in Paris, if anything abroad this year at all.

I hear the wait time is horrendous for renewals although I suppose if I send this week I would have it back within two months.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send it in now and then you know you won't be making any foreign trips until it comes back, simple as that.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 05:55 AM

If it is in your plans get the Passport for 10 years.

I would never chance going to a counntry with a Passport under the 6 month rule.

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:04 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine expires Jan 2022 and I’ve known all this year. I plan to renew it Nov/Dec and I will not be taking any trips when I need to show it until after it’s renewed. My sister wasn’t allowed to use her expiring passport 3 months before it did so that is my cut off too. I’m ok with it even if I like to travel around that time. I have other things preventing me.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
** I am not sure if I would get caught up in the 6 month window (if it is really a thing, I mean).**

It's the airline that won't let you board.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:31 AM

Routine 18 weeks (includes up to 12 weeks processing and 6 weeks mailing)
Expedited 12 weeks (includes up to 6 weeks processing and 6 weeks mailing)

I thought France was 90 days, not six months?

I would probably go, if I had the 90 days remaining, then mail off the passport.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:35 AM

Many Schengen countries require you to 6 months validity - they assume you will stay your full 90 days and you must have another 3 months on the passport after that. Not all do, not sure about France, but it isn't worth the risk is it?
October in Paris would definitely be tricky.
There is a huge wait for US passports I have read, mainly due to people not bothering to renew or checking if they need to renew, during Covid and of course the lack of staff due to Covid.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:35 AM

As things stand now, I'm not holding out much hope that France will be open to tourists even as far away as October. We've already told hopeful friends not to count on visiting us this fall. The delta variant is running amok in the whole country now.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Renew as soon as possible. There is a huge backlog.
I got mine in before travel opened and it took about 8 weeks. Now they say it's 12 weeks for expedited and 18 weeks for normal renewal.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:44 AM

I probably should have prefaced my comment by saying that I would not be going to France at all, LOL.

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
There is a huge wait for US passports I have read, mainly due to people not bothering to renew or checking if they need to renew, during Covid and of course the lack of staff due to Covid.
Right, and another factor is itís now been 10+ years that US citizens have needed passports to visit Canada or Mexico.
All those passports came up for renewal pretty much at same time.
Good luck with yours!
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 07:21 AM

Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Percy View Post

I would never chance going to a counntry with a Passport under the 6 month rule.
Same.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
As things stand now, I'm not holding out much hope that France will be open to tourists even as far away as October. We've already told hopeful friends not to count on visiting us this fall. The delta variant is running amok in the whole country now.
50 million tourists expected in France this summer, mostly European it's true.
Delta is everywhere in Europe. 88.5% of cases here are Delta. Numbers are thankfully falling again after the peak when the government messed things up here.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post

You mean you think they will close back up?
because certainly itís open now. My sister and BIL are flying today .
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I guess I better get in line then...
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

I am going with CIBT if anyone is interested and apparently current wait time is 8-10 weeks. CIBT apparently can also get you a passport in 5 days if you are in a crunch and willing to pay.

I likely will have it back by October, which was when I was thinking of perhaps going, however, I am also in the running for a new job and if that happens any international travel is likely only to be some quick hop over a holiday where I can sneak off without anyone noticing for too long - until I've been there for a few months at least.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

well that was quick. I filled out the forms and they emailed me back with pricing. 900 bucks, and it still is going to take 8-10 weeks which I bet isn't much better than if I did it the regular way. I hear FEDEX has an expedited service which is much less than half of that, so I am going to look into that.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
900? As in US dlls? For what?
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baldone View Post
900? As in US dlls? For what?
EXACTLY.

If this were for an employer with a lot of travel I could see this, but it's still going to take 8-10 weeks and I'm not convinced doing it the regular way would be all that much more time.

A friend of mine (who pre COVID traveled around the globe as 75% of his job) uses them. I didn't know they were so cher.
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 10:25 AM

It's really a thing for travel to many countries. Each country has its own rules. Usually easiest way is to check is through that country's US embassy or consulate webpage.

It is enforced by the airlines because if they let you on the flight but then you aren't admitted to the country that airline has to fly you back.

The France version is here: https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/w...ival-in-france

It took a few steps, including a little "test" as to whether you need a visa, mine said for a stay of less than 90 days as a tourist, no visa, but my passport must be valid for at least 3 months after my expected departure date from France.

L

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information