COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Why does Fodor's have a "COVID-19 Travel Advisory"

Old Mar 25th, 2020, 06:55 PM
kja
Original Poster

Why does Fodor's have a "COVID-19 Travel Advisory"

IMO, the appropriate action would be to send every traveler to a truly responsible site -- the CDC or WHO.
So far, Fodors has proven to be a site that provides misinformation and insensitive queries. Why would you presume to be authoritative, and why should anyone trust you? And for goodness sake, what if they do believe you?!?

PLEASE -- don't try to replace professional advice. Do a service to everyone, and simply direct them to accurate, competent, evidence-based information.
And if you insist on having a COVID-19 page, please don't call it a "travel advisory" -- call it what it is: a collection of reports of unclear currency (all COVID-related information is in flux!), often represents opinion (rather than fact), and doesn't seem to be very thoroughly fact-checked.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 07:22 AM

I am not comfortable with them using this crisis as click-bait. See the half dozen threads started by IBShep top of this forum. Hardly what I think is an appropriate "entertainment" topic.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 05:21 PM
kja
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze View Post
I am not comfortable with them using this crisis as click-bait.
And as I see it, they have so many alternatives! They could ask people to recommend (or rate, or share views on) the best books around that bear on travel. or the best movies. or TV shows. Or games. Or whatever -- all as separate topics, so they could start different threads on different days. They could start by asking for recommendations, then for ratings, then present the results with a request for input, leading to new questions....

There's no need to ask us to speak about or think of the virus -- they could be helping us use travel to escape from the concerns that weigh us down.

And even though suze is the only person who responded to this thread, it's been viewed 250 times so far, so I'm not going to give up hope that SOME body, ANYbody, at IB is taking note.

Last edited by kja; Mar 26th, 2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 11:34 AM

All they have to do is look at the number in reply to all the new threads they have created on the topic to see that the idea is a flop. 1 or 3 posts, 18 is the largest response and no one's been on that one in five days.

Old Mar 27th, 2020, 06:35 PM
kja
Original Poster

I must admit that I don't much care if an idea flops -- I care about the provision of inaccurate information when lives are at stake. And lives truly are at stake.

This thread had 399 views now, and not a single response from IB. Sad.

Stay safe, everyone.
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 10:06 PM

Where is this travel advisory?
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:23 AM
kja
Original Poster

On my screen, it's a large green banner spanning the top. It reads: "COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic. Learn More [arrow to a link to a Fodor's web page]"
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Thanks Kja. That wasn’t showing on my iPad presumably because it goes to the mobile site. I am on my MacBook now and the banner does show up.

I have skim read some of the articles and agree that to included the words “travel advisory” is extremely misleading. It is more a synopsis of opinion garnered from other news sources. Nothing wrong in that per se, but Fodors, please just call it what it is and not just use a headline grabbing term that many could assume is from an official source.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 02:32 PM
kja
Original Poster

At least some articles have been updated since I first saw them, but unfortunately, some remain what I consider to be woefully out-of-date.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by suze View Post
I am not comfortable with them using this crisis as click-bait. See the half dozen threads started by IBShep top of this forum. Hardly what I think is an appropriate "entertainment" topic.
The threads were actually part of an initiative suggested to help us keep in contact and promote conversations on the site during an uncertain time. The frequency was definitely overdone, however, so several threads have been unstuck and they'll pop up less, going forward. I've received feedback from mods and users alike, and after touching base with the rest of the IB team, we've made a change.

Originally Posted by kja View Post
IMO, the appropriate action would be to send every traveler to a truly responsible site -- the CDC or WHO.
So far, Fodors has proven to be a site that provides misinformation and insensitive queries. Why would you presume to be authoritative, and why should anyone trust you? And for goodness sake, what if they do believe you?!?

PLEASE -- don't try to replace professional advice. Do a service to everyone, and simply direct them to accurate, competent, evidence-based information.
And if you insist on having a COVID-19 page, please don't call it a "travel advisory" -- call it what it is: a collection of reports of unclear currency (all COVID-related information is in flux!), often represents opinion (rather than fact), and doesn't seem to be very thoroughly fact-checked.
I'm in contact with our Editorial team to change the wording on the alert. It's not true to the content, and the last thing that we want to do is present ourselves as an authority on medical or professional advice during a crisis. Anyone looking for medical direction or information should be visiting the WHO page on Coronavirus or a similarly trusted resource.

As always, thank you for your feedback. It's especially valuable to us as we try to keep up with the changing world and shift our site to better serve our users. I am personally grateful for the questions and requests to change things as we move forward.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 04:11 PM
kja
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBShep View Post
I'm in contact with our Editorial team to change the wording on the alert. It's not true to the content, and the last thing that we want to do is present ourselves as an authority on medical or professional advice during a crisis.
I look forward to seeing that change -- it will be an important step in the right direction.
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 05:00 PM
kja
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBShep View Post
I'm in contact with our Editorial team to change the wording on the alert. .
Please try again.
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 05:56 PM
kja
Original Poster

It's now been over a week.
What will it take for you to FIX this problem?!?!?
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 10:28 PM

I agree with kja.

Fodor's is one of the largest travel platforms used by many people around the world. You have a culpable responsibility not to mislead people especially at a critical time like this when thousands are dying because of travel related behaviors . Will you please direct viewers to the appropriate authorities or at the very least delete the WRONG headline and stop prioritizing website traffic profit before human lives. Shame on you Fodor's.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Hi all,

We have seen the complaints about this. We have passed them on to those responsible for this message. And we have re-contacted them numerous times about this. In the end, it will either change or it won't, but rest assured, your concerns have been passed along to the relevant parties. At this point it seems likely that anyone in this community who might possibly care about this message has already seen it.

Best,

Paul
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 12:48 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-katie-porter/

Not good enough

Administrators --- you are our Katie Porter. You can do it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 05:48 PM

I agree that the wording needs to be changed.. You actually might pick up more traffic if you had a catchy title that indicates what they are. I’ve skimmed a couple and they are good for entertaining reading. I certainly would not look to Fodors for advice on Covid19. But i would click on a travel topic related to the current crisis.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 07:45 PM
kja
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibobi View Post
We have seen the complaints about this. We have passed them on to those responsible for this message. And we have re-contacted them numerous times about this. In the end, it will either change or it won't, but rest assured, your concerns have been passed along to the relevant parties.
That's good to know. I hope you continue your efforts to have those who are responsible for the message take responsible action with regard to it.