Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Where to vacation in the month of February (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/where-to-vacation-in-the-month-of-february-957948/)

hhosu Nov 29th, 2012 12:19 PM

Where to vacation in the month of February

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for some help/guidance for our next vacation. We have been to Kauai and Maui, Hawaii, twice and we thought we'd try someplace new. The criteria is to be a warm/hot place with beautiful (warm water) beaches. I know there are lots of places around the world that would fit this criteria, but it's overwhelming to try and research them all. Our group would be of 9 people, that is 4 adults and 5 children ranging in ages 5 to 11. Kauai is my favorite place, because, in my opinion, it's more lush and not very commercialized. We were thinking the Caribbean's, or in that vicinity, but having never even been to Florida, I wouldn't even know which destination to choose. We'd get a condo with a kitchen to eat some meals at home, we usually plan to eat out just once a day (keeps the costs down). We'd like to be able to travel the island, or destination, to see items of nature and hiking and the like. It would be in the month of February for about 10-12 days total. We're coming from LA for one family and Chicago for the other family. :)

suze Nov 29th, 2012 01:08 PM

There's nothing in your post that really much narrows your choices down. Pretty much any islands of the Caribbean or any of the beach resort towns of Mexico offer what you describe.

hhosu Nov 29th, 2012 07:20 PM

Thank you for your response. Yes, you're correct, I didn't narrow down my choices because I don't have any idea about the Caribbean Islands. I just know we'd like a place that isn't very touristy, has some options for scenic places to visit (like gardens, caves or hiking) and nice beaches to swim in for the kids and the "big" kids.

janisj Nov 29th, 2012 08:21 PM

You'll get more response if you post on the Caribbean and/or Mexico forums.

RoamsAround Nov 30th, 2012 03:44 AM

When you do re-post your question try to give us some idea of the type of resorts/hotels that appeal to you, tell us your budget for accommodations, food and activities (try to be specific, don't use terms like "affordable", won't break the bank" as they are meaningless without a dollar point of reference). Let us know what you liked/disliked about the places you've been and what you hope to find/accomplish on this trip.

Right now, what you described can be found almost anywhere in the Caribbean or Mexico and there are literally 1,000's of places to choose from. You HAVE TO HELP US to narrow down your choices.

hhosu Nov 30th, 2012 09:08 AM

Okay, this is all new to me. (First time using Fodor) "Thank you" and I will try to repost as suggested and be more specific.

tomfuller Dec 1st, 2012 01:03 PM

If you did not want to leave the US, you could go to Corpus Christi and or South Padre Island Texas.

oldmacdonald Dec 2nd, 2012 04:41 PM

Check out Costa Rica, it has what you are looking for and is accessible from LA and ORD. It's pretty small, lush, warm, pretty safe, lots of fauna.

trvlthewrld Dec 4th, 2012 07:31 AM

I second Costa Rica!

skyex3633 Dec 6th, 2012 07:52 PM

New york is the best place or second option is London and third option is India.

skyex3633 Dec 10th, 2012 09:01 PM

I post here again, because i forgot to mention a place and that is Dubai because you are looking for warm place.

just27 Dec 22nd, 2012 05:23 PM

My son and his family recently went to Isla Mujeres (a Mexican island in the Yucatan Peninsula) with a group of friends, and had a great time. I've been thinking about it, myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_Mujeres

skyex3633 Dec 25th, 2012 06:56 PM

So what you choose for your holiday.