Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Where to Travel in October? Hurricane time. (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/where-to-travel-in-october-hurricane-time-1711420/)

MissionBrad Nov 24th, 2022 08:01 PM

Where to Travel in October? Hurricane time.

So just like the title states. Where do I go during the first week of my October vacation? I usually go to Vegas 3 to 4 times a year. I have mixed it up next year, 2023, with a trip that will be my first time in Cancun solo.

So any recommendations on where to go that's warm and fun in October?

schmerl Nov 25th, 2022 04:40 AM

Aruba is not in the hurricane zone and will be warm and plenty to do.

suze Nov 25th, 2022 06:16 PM

Welcome to the Fodor's forums!

What month are you going to Cancun?

Plenty of places are not hurricane-likely in October. West coat of Mexico. Hawaiian islands. Southern California. Places in southern Europe?

balthy Nov 26th, 2022 05:49 AM

Aruba is not in the hurricane zone but it can be affected by a hurricane elsewhere. So flooding, rough seas etc.Having said that, I've had many great vacations in the Caribbean during hurricane season, but it is risky.

What sort of fun are you looking for, clubs, bars, etc?

tomfuller Nov 27th, 2022 04:30 PM

How about Panama (and the Canal Zone)?

P_M Dec 2nd, 2022 08:28 AM

Back in 2011 we choose Aruba for an autumn trip because we had always heard it never rains there, even in hurricane season. A hurricane did happen and it rained every day. It was still a great trip, but don't believe the guidebooks that say it never rains there.

HappyTrvlr Dec 3rd, 2022 07:10 PM

What about Hawaii?

P_M Dec 5th, 2022 02:21 AM

Hawaii is a great idea, as October is the low season. The Hawaiians have told me the time between Labor Day and late October is when accommodations tend to be least expensive.

HappyTrvlr Dec 9th, 2022 03:56 PM

During hurricane season we head west to Hawaii.

jacketwatch Dec 10th, 2022 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MissionBrad (Post 17416317)
So just like the title states. Where do I go during the first week of my October vacation? I usually go to Vegas 3 to 4 times a year. I have mixed it up next year, 2023, with a trip that will be my first time in Cancun solo.

So any recommendations on where to go that's warm and fun in October?

https://fijipocketguide.com/fiji-weather-in-october/
no I am not sure about your budget and how far do you want to fly but if you wanna fly a little further and go to Fiji in October weatherwise, it’s a great time. As this is a shoulder season, it may be less crowded and a little cheaper. The dollar is very strong here and the people are very friendly. We had a great 10 days there sometime ago and still think about it.

mrunalmehta7290 Mar 23rd, 2023 11:01 PM

October can be tricky to travel, especially if you want to avoid areas prone to hurricanes. However, there are still plenty of destinations that can be great to visit in October. Here are some suggestions:
  1. California: October is a great time to explore California, as the weather is generally mild, and the crowds have thinned out. Some great places to visit include San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
  2. New England: While some parts of New England can be prone to hurricanes in October, many areas are still significant to visit. Enjoy the fall foliage, visit historic towns, and sample delicious food.
  3. Hawaii: Hawaii is generally warm and sunny year-round, making it an excellent destination for October. You can enjoy the beautiful beaches, go hiking, or explore the local culture.
  4. Arizona: October is a great time to visit Arizona, as the temperatures have cooled and crowds have thinned out. You can visit the Grand Canyon, explore the desert, or discover local art and culture.
  5. Mexico: While some parts of Mexico can be prone to hurricanes in October, many areas are still significant to visit. Enjoy the beautiful beaches, explore ancient ruins, or sample delicious food and drink.

HappyTrvlr Mar 25th, 2023 03:12 PM

Arizona will be HOT by mid October.
I suggest Hawaii too.