Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   Where can we go - Covid19? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/where-can-we-go-covid19-1685347/)

Travel_To_Eat_20 Aug 1st, 2020 06:28 AM

Where can we go - Covid19?

Hi everyone,

I am from Vietnam but living in Sweden at the moment. I am new to the forum and looking for travel related recommendation and advices. I like to travel to have good foods and learn about the destinations daily lives.

I am looking for a good source of official information of which countries have open the borders for Swedish citizen (not just inside Europe) but outside of Europe as well. Do any of you have any good websites for it?

Thanks in advance.

Traveler_Nick Aug 2nd, 2020 08:17 PM

The situation is changing so quickly I'd be real careful booking anything outside the EU. Worse case would be mid trip and find out the borders are shut. You don't even need to get sick.

At least within the EU you could rent/buy a car and head home.

balthy Aug 4th, 2020 09:36 AM

There are alot of countries open to Swedish nationals and/or those with Swedish residence permits at the moment. You can check each country's entry requirements in respect to COVID-19. I've been travelling to/from Sweden and Denmark from within Europe for the past few months and most recently just came back from Italy (a trip that was booked before COVID-19). The situation does indeed change frequently and can be hard to keep up with those changes but it has never been a short notice or overnight change (IME) so far.

Christina Aug 10th, 2020 09:44 AM

Usually local resources would be the best to tell you those things. I know where I live, some of the main newspapers with a national presence have done articles on that kind of thing (eg where US residents can travel now with various restriction comparisons).

I'd wait until August 31st to check this, that is a deadline on some issues so things could change, anyway.

ie per Swedish embassy
Swedish authorities have not banned travels to Lithuania, but the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs on 17 June 2020 have extended the decision to advise against non-essential travel to countries outside the EU, the EEA and the Schengen area until 31 August, and has removed the advice against travel to a number of countries in the EU, the EEA and the Schengen area as of 30 June.

Also, Sweden may change their ban on foreigners being allowed into Sweden on 8/31, at least which countries. I know the US is on their list now, no surprise. Countries exempted from the ban right now would likely be ones where you could freely travel though, with no problems returning. That would be Australia and Canada, Morrocco, Uruguay, New Zealand and a few others. But you can go to EU now, I would bet.

If I were you, I mioght think about Canada although I've never felt their cuisine was a big draw, at least for me. I don't go to places for food, though, but it's nothing special. You might look into Morrocco. If it's not too far, Uruguay could be fun, also. I have friends "stuck" there now in their winter home because they don't want to come back to US given current situation, but they have a very low rate of infection. You could go to Georgia, also. I actually like their cuisine, I had some in a Georgian restaurant in Warsaw, it was very good.

Travel_To_Eat_20 Aug 12th, 2020 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick (Post 17139058)
The situation is changing so quickly I'd be real careful booking anything outside the EU. Worse case would be mid trip and find out the borders are shut. You don't even need to get sick.

At least within the EU you could rent/buy a car and head home.

Thank you.

eliztravels2 Aug 13th, 2020 12:50 PM

Canada is currently closed to most foreign nationals unless you are providing essential services or meet other strict criteria: diplomats, persons reuniting with close family members who are legal residents, authorized foreign students, etc. See www.canada.ca for details.

Even those allowed to enter must quarantine for 14 days and submit a written plan in advance. The penalties can be quite stiff but I don’t know what kind of enforcement is in place.

Canada is definitely not a tourist destination at the moment expect for those of us lucky enough to live here.

Travel_To_Eat_20 Aug 22nd, 2020 10:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. The page I could find with the most updated information with a lot of EU countries is here is on euronews.com (sorry I am not yet allowed to post URL on Fodors forum) though it is of course not cover all countries as I was hoping to find.

baldone Aug 23rd, 2020 07:51 PM

México is allowing anyone and everyone. Not saying that's good or bad.

MmePerdu Aug 26th, 2020 10:32 AM

Baldone, are you back in Mexico? Just curious as I'm longing to go this winter and having eyes on the ground is always helpful.

baldone Aug 26th, 2020 01:53 PM

Mme, yes I am. I'll soon be posting a rather dull (but hopefully somewhat informative) Northern Mexico Trip Report. With some current observations in and around San Miguel.

MmePerdu Aug 26th, 2020 03:05 PM

Excellent, I look forward to it, dull or otherwise.