Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

What's the most unexpected and charming thing you've ever found in your hotel room?

What's the most unexpected and charming thing you've ever found in your hotel room?

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

For me - We checked into an eco-hotel in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica last year. Without mentioning it, they had upgraded us to a breathtaking ocean-view suite, and on the coffee table was an ice bucket with a bottle of chilled champagne, two pretty stemmed glasses, and a handwritten note welcoming us. Totally unexpected surprise when we walked in, and the ensuing service and our stay were just as wonderful.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:48 PM

At a boutique hotel in Guadalajara. A bottle of tequila our last night. Which we had to throw out going through security, as this was right after the prohibition of liquids in carry ons. We were unaware of the new rules. We told the security guy he could have it, but he about cried when he told us he couldn't. We could've bought a special box but it was like $25 dlls. Oh well.
PS 'Unexpected and charming' is better than grossest thing.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 06:32 PM
kja

At Christian's Hotel in Luoyang, I found a bowl of fresh fruit; a very nice; sturdy tote bag; a delightful key chain -- and insistence on providing me with a free car & driver for the day; an English speaking guide to the main site to which I had them take me (once I realized they were serious, LOL!); an English-speaking staff member's company for the time it took me to place an order of the local cuisine at a nearby restaurant of my choosing; and sincere apologies that they couldn't provide me with a car and driver for the next day, too -- none of which I requested! WOW!!!

Thanks, scdreamer, for this question.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 10:15 PM

A loincloth.lying on our bed in the village longhouse. - My wife and I had been invited to a friend’s naming ceremony in the Kelabit Highlands in Borneo. A big traditional party attended by some 2000 people from villages around the highlands to celebrate my friends marriage to his Malaysian wife a year previously. An elaborate ceremony over two days during which pigs and buffalos were roasted over open fires, much singing, dancing and drinking of rice wine. Lots of games like "climbing the pole grease with pig fat" playing football with an inflated pigs bladder, blowpipe competitions etc...

The "highlight" was an elaborate dance to be performed by the six male friends and family who had travelled from the U.K. all dressed in nothing but said loincloth. We had to rehearse the dance rigorously and also learn how to put on the loincloth so as to avoid accidents/offence/laughter/embarrassment - not easy and a lot harder than learning to tie a necktie for the first time.

not sure we would have won any dancing competitions but the audience seemed to enjoy the performance ( well, they laughed a lot anyway)

One of those amazing travel experiences that I shall never forget. I still have the loincloth and the photos (although the photos will never see the light of day)

Last edited by crellston; Feb 10th, 2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:29 AM
kja

Great memories, scdreamer and baldone, and OMG, what an experience crellston has shared with us! I'm not sure I ever thought I would see the word "loincloth" in a sentence describing something that didn't occur centuries ago -- and that's a far cry from an actual experience with one! ;-)
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 11:40 AM

I have never received a loincloth, LOL.

Various food and beverage items, I guess. Most recently the Airbnb in South Africa where crellston also stayed (SALT). I wasn't even sure if all of that food was for me!
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Airbnb surprises are so nice. We got a nice Christmas basket in Garmisch with candy, nuts, fruit, and wine. (Yay, the Oxford Comma)

Kempinski at the Munich airport was booked by NATO one trip to Germany and it was so luxurious. The bathtub, robes and bedding, I didn't want to leave.

This last trip I bought water and wine and wished for a frig. Second day I realized the mirror over the desk opened and there were nice cups on a shelve and a frig. I felt really dumb but swear it looked like a mirror on the wall.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 11:43 PM

I had already forgotten about SALT mlgb. The cupboards were jam packed with goodies! When we left there, as we had come to the end of our 7 week road trip and were headed to a guesthouse in Cape Town, we left all the stuff we had accumulated over the previous weeks for the next occupants so they would have been greeted by even fuller cupboards.

Thanks BTW. Yet another excellent recommendation.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 02:59 AM

A massage chair which was a extra perk I found in our hotel room. These overstuffed leather chairs have several settings and controls designed to help guests relax with a massage at the end of a long day of meetings or sightseeing.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Prosecco, and chocolate covered strawberries. Plus a big upgrade on our room, two balconies overlooking the water.