Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Travel Tips & Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/)
-   -   What's the Most Adventurous Thing You've Eaten While Traveling? (https://www.fodors.com/community/travel-tips-and-trip-ideas/whats-the-most-adventurous-thing-youve-eaten-while-traveling-1667116/)

EugenesTeam May 16th, 2019 09:00 AM

What's the Most Adventurous Thing You've Eaten While Traveling?

What's the Most Adventurous Thing You've Eaten While Traveling?

Maybe Casa Marzu in Italy? Haggis in Scotland? Possibly even, Fried Tarantula???

How daring were you? We want to know! Share your stories

Rich May 16th, 2019 09:30 AM

Duran . .

Good thing the SOB who suggested it ran faster than I could!

crellston May 16th, 2019 09:41 AM

BBQ Rat in Laos - tasted like chicken
Deep fried Grasshoppers in Mexico - tasted like dried shrimp
Potato leaf curry in Sierra Leone - tasted like... well potato leaf curry, surprisingly pleasant.
Bun Mam (fermented fish soup) in Vietnam. Sounds disgusting but it is genuinely the best soup I have ever tasted. A bun man restaurant in district 3 Saigon is always our first stop whenever we visit.

suze May 16th, 2019 10:06 AM

Rich - do you mean Durian? The fruit??

Rich May 16th, 2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by suze (Post 16920356)
Rich - do you mean Durian? The fruit??

Yep . .

janisj May 16th, 2019 10:34 AM

>>Haggis in Scotland<<

Haggis ain't 'adventurous'. Basically a mostly oatmeal sausage - the best ones are delicious, the worst just bland bland bland . . . Plus what's not to like something washed down with a nice 18 yo single malt??

The first time I tasted anything, I was being adventurous wether snails, or oysters or sashimi or whatever. But the actual most adventurous thing - I agree - Durian.

Melnq8 May 16th, 2019 10:50 AM

For me it was probably Durian ice cream. I couldn't get fresh Durian close enough to my mouth to actually taste it. The ice cream was nasty too. Only managed to choke down a bite or two. Life is too short to eat repulsive food.

Melnq8 May 16th, 2019 10:58 AM

Phew...I can smell it from here
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...729ed73256.jpg

HappyTrvlr May 16th, 2019 11:29 AM

Deep fried tarantula in Phenom Penh, Cambodia.

suze May 16th, 2019 11:39 AM

Actually I ate durian... in Switzerland from the summer market there. I don't consider a fruit "adventurous" really, but htat stuff is pretty nasty :-)

There was also (horse) steak and blood sausage that trip, which would have been my more adventurous thing, except I did not eat either one.

thursdaysd May 16th, 2019 04:28 PM

Agree with janisj - haggis is in no way adventurous. But then I am happy to eat liver and kidney, and I ate tongue growing up, although I am not fond of it. I draw the line at tripe.

I see no reason to eat things like rat (seen in a Guilin market) or fried spiders (seen in Cambodia). I enjoy good food and I am not going to waste calories and taste buds on food that disgusts me.

Odin May 16th, 2019 10:37 PM

I'm not brave enough to try surströmming, I've seen it for sale many times in Swedish supermarkets and have thought about buying some just to try. Some airlines forbid it to be taken on flights, in case the tin explodes, then it would take days to get rid of the smell. First rule of surströmming, do not open the tin inside a house or even close to one.

p3k3nd May 17th, 2019 01:16 AM

Most Adventurous Thing Ever Eaten

Fried insects, blood cakes, pig innards, stinky tofu frog legs and chicken feet in asia! Some became my favorites while others I will never touch again!

juvejay May 17th, 2019 06:47 AM

Takoyaki - Osaka octopus balls, Black tagliatelle with cuttlefish in Venice (tagliatelle nere alle sepie).

Neither seems very adventurous to me. The problem is that when I go to a restaurant in the US and I don't know what a dish is, I try it.

clonish May 17th, 2019 06:59 AM

Andouillette de Troyes

During a work trip to Marseilles, I sat down to a solo Sunday brunch on the patio of a very traditional brasserie in the old part of the city. Seeing Andouillette de Troyes on the menu, and vaguely remembering that it was some kind of sausage, I confidently ordered in my best tourist French. My waiter, looking skeptical, asked if I was sure. My second mistake was not getting the hint. When it arrived - a large cylinder of pinky-brown horror alone in the middle of the plate - and the distinctive odor hit my nostrils, I realized my error and sat momentarily, suspended between disgust and embarrassment. Determined not to look like a complete idiot, I resolved to give it a go (how bad could it be?). I ordered another beer, and dug-in.

With the help of one more beer, an iron constitution, and a degree of self-admonishment, I ate about 3/4 of the monstrosity before sheepishly admitting my defeat to the smug (and, I like to think, slightly impressed) waiter. Lesson learned.

jmoyogi May 17th, 2019 08:28 AM

Nothing disgusting as such...I think the strangest thing I've eaten is antelope.

TDudette May 17th, 2019 09:20 AM

Incredible stuff above. I'm with jmoyogi; bison, rattlesnake and squid ink sauce over pasta.

wandered May 17th, 2019 09:31 AM

While in Australia

After playing with and cuddling kangaroos, ate barbecue kangaroo kabobs.
still feel guilty.

oggy201 May 17th, 2019 12:21 PM

While in Kenya

I had a number of "exotic" dishes while I spent time in Kenya, but they're not too adventurous compared to many of the posts here. In addition to crocodile, goat, and ostrich, I ate oxe balls. Crocodile was very similar to alligator (no surprises there). The goat and ostrich were my favorites. Oxe balls on the other hand were tasteless with a vienna sausage-like texture.

Melnq8 May 17th, 2019 01:22 PM

I've cooked kangaroo, but not eaten it. Spouse wasn't impressed with my efforts.

We did like the Emu ham and venison chorizo we had in Australia though.

Rocky Mountain oysters are pretty common around here, but some people are a bit put off when they find out what they are.