What to pack/wear for our trip next week to Italy ???

Old May 26th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack/wear for our trip next week to Italy ???

We're leaving on our dream holiday next week Thursday to Italy. Arriving in Venice, then Florence, Sorrento, and Rome.
As I'm a "woman" I again don't know what to pack/wear? Please help me?
In South Africa it's winter but not that cold - around 24 degrees. How is the weather now it Italy? is it really that warm? Strap tops? short dresses/long Capri pants/ shorts/ mini skirts/

Do I need a warm jacket? boots? or only sandals

Hope you can help?
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure you meant to ask this here, you will get more replies on the Europe board. Do an internet search on Venice and weather. You will need to cover your knees and shoulders for St. Peters and some other churches regardless of weather.
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes it is warm. It's spring/summer in Italy now.

I don't think you need either extreme - like strap tops or jacket/boots. More in the middle.

I'd travel with linen capri pants, cotton tops, short knit skirt, one pair shorts, comfortable sandals, one lightweight linen jacket, a pair of sneakers for heavy-duty walking days. And a bathing suit/coverup if there's any chance of having a pool or being at the beach.
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - will keep in mind
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:35 AM

It's always difficult to wrap one's mind around a totally different set of temperatures. It's also really hard to advise anyone else as to what to pack! But I think suze's list is a good one, with the caveat that if you don't normally wear _X_, then don't run out and buy it just for the trip.

I like layers in the summer, because interiors can be overly air-conditioned (though not so much in Italy, it's true), and you do have to cover up in churches. I bring one pair of shoes for extensive walking, and another for evening/light strolling. Lots of light tops. A cardi or a jacket or two. Whatever bottoms you feel most comfortable in: pants, skirts, shorts. It will definitely be warm!
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:41 AM

<if you don't normally wear _X_, then don't run out and buy it just for the trip.>

I agree with that 100%.

I pack my favorite clothes that are appropriate to the weather/season where I'm going. Choose 4 mix/match 'outfits' like I'd wear on the weekend at home for doing similar things. That would get me thru a couple weeks in Italy in the spring.
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM

<I pack my favorite clothes that are appropriate to the weather/season where I'm going. >
I do that, too. Never understood the advice to bring old shabby clothes and discard them as you go; I mean, I guess I assume that the old shabby clothes aren't your favorite It's my vacation, and I want to look think I look nice!
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM

blech. Meant to type, I want to think I look nice.
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM

My thinking is that I take few clothes ("pack light") so I really want to love what I have with me, since I will be wearing everything multiple times.
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanx all

Flip this is only my 2nd time "overseas" and yes I'd like to look good. And my biggest problem is I can't "pack light" flip and wear only 2 pairs of shoes! and clothes multiple times!

Do you see/hear my problem

But I will take your advice and try my best.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is "won't" not "can't" pack light. Many, many travelers manage, how come you won't? Your problem is of your own making.

I will post the link to my packing list for you, but it won't help you unless you change your attitude:

http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...take-part-one/ - links at the top of the page.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
SusanWilliams - you can pack any which way you want . . . but remember that if you take it YOU carry/schlepp/tote it yourself. There are no porters and few if any luggage carts.

The trick some of us recommend you try is . . . pack the suitcase you plan on taking, walk around the block w/ it in tow (and if there are areas of uneven pavement - more the better), climb one flight of stairs and back down, and finally lift it onto something like your kitchen counter (to duplicate boosting it onto the luggage racks on trains)

Then you will very likely decide packing half as much 'stuff'.

You CAN pack light, but no one says you MUST. But IMO re-wearing things and doing sink laundry is a small price to pay to make things much easier.

I only ever take a carry-on sized roll aboard and manage to look stylish.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:30 AM

Well if you won't wear clothes more than once, there's really no way to pack light.
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Ah, the old packing light dilemma rears its ugly head!

My only piece of advice on this well-worn topic is that schlepping too much stuff can put a damper on your trip in a big way--that's the real reason not to pack too much, IMO. You become a slave to your heavy luggage. On the flip side, traveling light is so freeing and relaxing, I promise you!

And of course you can re-wear clothes multiple times! Only your traveling companion(s) might notice, and no one will care.
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:13 PM

There are laundries - do it yourself- and places to take for them to do for you in Europe. I hate sink washing and it doesn't work well for socks and denim. We find a laundry where we are and get it done. in a 3-week trip we will do laundry 2 times at least. AND I have found that travel underwear which is easily washable in the sink is great. dries in a jiffy but those socks!!! The key is to mix and match 2 colors and bring a couple of scarves and sweaters to make it look nicer. We do NOT wear old or bright T shirts like some people do. NOR do we wear flip flops - only on the plane! Shoes take up room in my suit cases. i wear my heaviest walking shoes on the plane, and pack 2 other pair, one for evening and an extra pair of nice walking type shoes. We will see how well I do on the 3-week trip to Italy coming up. Part of my problem is that 1 weeks is on Silver Sea which is a bit more fancy than we usually travel. Love my black pants and tops for these....
Old May 30th, 2014, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've found the bulkiest thing in my suitcase has always been shoes, so I'll talk about that.

Y
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Computer playing havoc. Sorry.

Italy is tough. On feet. Walking a lot, possible beach activity, especially in Sorrento, maybe in Venice if you venture over to the Lido.

Suggestion is to not buy new shoes and try to wear them in. Try to keep shoes to a minimum, but comfort is always at the forefront. I personally like my platform shoes when I'm wearing jeans or trousers, and like the slip on clogs that I know I can walk several miles in without tripping or falling. You need one pair of those (whether or not platform -- platform is just my style). For dresses and the beach, that can be one decent pair of sandals that you can wear on asphalt, can walk miles in, and can walk on stony beaches. The sandals can also be used as slippers in the hotel room. Again, use ones that you've worn before because new ones may feel good walking around the house in, but 2 mile treks you can get sores on your feet and toes like you wouldn't believe.

Take a few padded band-aids just in case, to tide you over until you can get to a chemist.